ADVERTISEMENT

Could Poythress pull a Derek Anderson/1997 Final Four free throw?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
First, I hope Poythress at least gets to dress out and go through the warmups.

It's highly unlikely, I know, since I think UK is going to be in a dogfight against any of the teams in the Final Four.

But if an opportunity comes up, I would love to see Poythress get a chance to take a couple of free throws.

That wouldn't be a good idea. Cal has already told Poy he should come back. Just in case his recovery is long, he should keep his redshirt eligibility intact. Better safe than sorry.

I don't see Poythress here for 2 more years, so I think a redshirt is a moot point.

But I would leave it up to Poythress whether he wanted to try a free throw or not in the Final Four.

Originally posted by Orange Soda King:
Would it compromise a medical redshirt option?

DA was in his last year of eligibility.
No medical redshirt for Poy. He had already played in too many games. As far as bringing him back, unless Cal is keeping his very close to the vest, I think we would of heard something. Don't think he's ready but it would be cool to see him come in at the end of the game if we have to just got foul shots or dribble out the clock

Originally posted by kats23:

No medical redshirt for Poy. He had already played in too many games. As far as bringing him back, unless Cal is keeping his very close to the vest, I think we would of heard something. Don't think he's ready but it would be cool to see him come in at the end of the game if we have to just got foul shots or dribble out the clock
That's incorrect. He had played less than 30% of our season's games at the point when he was injured, and the injury occurred before the second half of the season. There should be nothing stopping him from obtaining a medical red shirt, if that's what he wants.

Originally posted by Robcatt24:

I don't see Poythress here for 2 more years, so I think a redshirt is a moot point.

But I would leave it up to Poythress whether he wanted to try a free throw or not in the Final Four.
I don't expect Poy here 2 more years either, but what if his rehab is as long as Rose? Do you test the waters now when you weren't having a great year, only played a few games and the NBA wasn't too high on you after last year? Do you wait to show them another year of improvement, but, when will he be able to play that year? Next year isn't a given. As I said, better safe than sorry. What logical reason would one have not to request the redshirt? Using it is another matter.

Kat23 is absolutely wrong as another poster pointed out. The rule is less than 30% of your teams games and none in 2nd half of season. Poythress only played in 8 of first 10 games. 8/39 or 8/40 is less than 30% and obviously first half of season.

If you don't know the rules don't comment.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It's highly unlikely, I know, since I think UK is going to be in a dogfight against any of the teams in the Final Four.

But if an opportunity comes up, I would love to see Poythress get a chance to take a couple of free throws.
No

For what it's worth, on bleacher report of the guys taking photos together Poythress is suited up taking pictures for whatever reason. go figure.

Poy's already played, really well too, in a semi-final. If it comes to a point where we just send somebody out to make free throws I'd rather see Hawkins, Willis or one of the walk-ons get a shot.

I'm just sure UK is dumb enough to burn a year of a kids eligibility simply because a few fans think he doesn't need it
laugh.r191677.gif

He's got the redshirt and that won't change. And, he'll be back next year. He came back this year because his draft status was not that high, plus he loves college. Unlike Nerlens, without playing much this year, he would definitely be undrafted...so he'll be back. Be a stud next year and then get drafted high.

One reason why he may stay two more years: masters degree.

Poy is set to graduate this year. Two more years of eligibility would pay for his masters.

Only regular season games count for calculating the % for if a player is eligible for a medical hardship waiver. The SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament do not count for this purpose.

Wrong!

Originally posted by wildcatsboston1984:
Only regular season games count for calculating the % for if a player is eligible for a medical hardship waiver. The SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament do not count for this purpose.
And 8/31 = 0.258

Poy can redshirt

Originally posted by TruBluCatFan:
Kat23 is absolutely wrong as another poster pointed out. The rule is less than 30% of your teams games and none in 2nd half of season. Poythress only played in 8 of first 10 games. 8/39 or 8/40 is less than 30% and obviously first half of season.

I knew the rule was 30%. I forgot he missed 2 games for illness and I thought he had played 10 which would just put him over the line for the regular season. I can't find if they count postseason games or not since not all teams play postseason games but I'm sure you're ready to point that out to me. Sorry I made a mistake. I'm in a a glass case of emotions now with this mistake. How will I carry on. I made a mistake on a message board.

Heres the other thing. The entire point of a medical redshirt is moot. He graduates his year. No way he is here 2 years.

It probably is moot kat23. On that we agree. He is still under limit whether post season counts or not.

Just reread my original response to you. The last sentence was unnecessary so my apologies. Didn't mean to be a jackass but sometimes it just sneaks out on me.

Matt Jones brought it up the day after he got hurt -

Alex missed one game due to an illness (can't remember which one, Montana State maybe?) Anyway, him missing that game and the timing of his injury, he is qualified for a medical redshirt. If he doesn't get sick for that one game, he would have played and not be eligible for the medical redshirt.

Originally posted by TruBluCatFan:

I knew the rule was 30%. I forgot he missed 2 games for illness and I thought he had played 10 which would just put him over the line for the regular season. I can't find if they count postseason games or not since not all teams play postseason games but I'm sure you're ready to point that out to me. Sorry I made a mistake. I'm in a a glass case of emotions now with this mistake. How will I carry on. I made a mistake on a message board.

Heres the other thing. The entire point of a medical redshirt is moot. He graduates his year. No way he is here 2 years.
Again, no one,including Alex, knows how long it will take to rehab. There is no logical reason to not request a redshirt.

first off da was shooting around already. secondly he was already a great free throw shooter. he was near the top in the league for several years. in other words, as much as anything, pitino knew he'd make them both no problem.

I hope we have enough of a lead that putting a guy whom hasn't played in months on the line is any sort of an option.

No medical redshirt for Poy. He had already played in too many games.
Just start your next post with the words "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to say it anyway."

I would not trust the NCAA to rule in his favor, but he is eligible for a redshirt.

Originally posted by KopiKat:

No medical redshirt for Poy. He had already played in too many games.
Just start your next post with the words "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to say it anyway."
Just read my later post where I said I made a mistake and forgot he missed 2 games due to injury. I thought he played in 10 games and could not find anything on the rule if they counted postseason play. Start your next post with the words "I've never made a mistake."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT