ADVERTISEMENT

Could an ALL Stoops team win a Natty?

I would argue Lynn Bowden is the best QB under Stoops. He was unstoppable at times. Closest we had to elite.

Came within 9 yards of breaking Cam Newton’s QB single-season rushing record!!

OK, so our All-Star team has a lot of “Wild Cat” mixed in with LBJ!!

Reactions: MontyCats
That’s where I see it .. not enough QB talent

The real OP is a Natty, not games against others’ All Stars.

With Levis and all the Kentucky All Stars, I think that team is as good or better than a few of the Bama and Georgia teams with “game-manager” type QB’s who won a title or got damn near.

With Levis and all the Kentucky All Stars, I think that team is as good or better than a few of the Bama and Georgia teams with “game-manager” type QB’s who won a title or got damn near.
My view of Will and his overall talent level doesn’t exactly jive with most of my Ky brethren .

Levis makes too many terrible decisions and passes to win a natty.

Levis makes too many terrible decisions and passes to win a natty.

He did not see the field great when he was here. However, with an all-star OL and that many weapons... Bowden, Wandale, Key, Badet, Juice Johnson, etc., I think his decision-making would be a lot easier b/c those guys would really put the defense on their heels.

Luckett said something the other day that I thought was ridiculous. He said if you made a super team of all the best players of the Stoops era its still wouldn't be good enough to win a title. I think that's insane. You would have a ridiculous Defense. Think of that D-line Allen, Walker, Dupree, Zadarius, Paschal, Bohanna....etc. You would have an all time stable of backs, All NFL offensive line, Best receiving core in the country and a healthy '22 Levis. I think that team would be a title contender this year. What do you guys think?

Again this is if you transported that team magically into this season with all other teams having their current rosters.
The Blue Chip ratio needed for national title consideration is considered 50%. The elite teams have 60-75%. An all Stoops team would be above that given that you would be magically taking the best players from different seasons and having them play during their best year. Ann all Stoops team would be favored to win a national championship if they were playing against regular competition. He would have All-Americans or All SEC at just about every position. Frankly, it wouldn't even be terribly close. They would be the most talented team in the country.

An all-Stoops UK team would absolutely dominate any given year of CFB. I'd feel okay about us against other team's top players, too, though our biggest weakness would be QB. Every other position would be absolutely stacked.

He did not see the field great when he was here. However, with an all-star OL and that many weapons... Bowden, Wandale, Key, Badet, Juice Johnson, etc., I think his decision-making would be a lot easier b/c those guys would really put the defense on their heels.
I agree. I dont know how many decisions hes actually gonna have to make. What made him so effective in '21 was the lack of decisions, it was Wan'dale or Ali on well timed and ran routes. He is gonna have that in spades.

The Blue Chip ratio needed for national title consideration is considered 50%. The elite teams have 60-75%. An all Stoops team would be above that given that you would be magically taking the best players from different seasons and having them play during their best year. Ann all Stoops team would be favored to win a national championship if they were playing against regular competition. He would have All-Americans or All SEC at just about every position. Frankly, it wouldn't even be terribly close. They would be the most talented team in the country.
This was exactly my argument. Other than QB talent, I think it would be domination. Especially you have to think of all the leaders you would have on those teams. Dudes who put their heads down and worked. Culture would be excellent. That was one of the first things that Kiffin said about the Ole Miss game was that the biggest difference in UK this year was having Pop out there. He is a QB for the defense. Leadership means that much when it comes to getting the most out of talent.

I also think that any top 25ish program if given a 12+ year window to create a super team would most always be a contender.

Reactions: satcheluk
An all-Stoops UK team would absolutely dominate any given year of CFB. I'd feel okay about us against other team's top players, too, though our biggest weakness would be QB. Every other position would be absolutely stacked.
SEC Mike talked about this a couple months ago. He said that pretty much every SEC in the last 12 yrs has hit lighting in a bottle with a QB. Either got a really high ranked guy who worked out, picked up a stud in the portal, or developed a 3 star to be great, except UK. He pointed out that if you use a big enough sample size for well ran programs it actually comes down more to luck than people would think and UK has just been wildly unlucky during that period. The Barker injury certainly first the bad luck thought.

Reactions: JPFisher
This was exactly my argument. Other than QB talent, I think it would be domination. Especially you have to think of all the leaders you would have on those teams. Dudes who put their heads down and worked. Culture would be excellent. That was one of the first things that Kiffin said about the Ole Miss game was that the biggest difference in UK this year was having Pop out there. He is a QB for the defense. Leadership means that much when it comes to getting the most out of talent.

I also think that any top 25ish program if given a 12+ year window to create a super team would most always be a contender.
Yes, it would be objectively the best team in the league by far. If you put every player Stoops has had drafted in their final year here on one team? That would be a slightly below avg NFL team, so no college team, even the elite ones would have a reasonable chance.

Reactions: JPFisher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT