ADVERTISEMENT

Could an ALL Stoops team win a Natty?

MontyCats

Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2022
Luckett said something the other day that I thought was ridiculous. He said if you made a super team of all the best players of the Stoops era its still wouldn't be good enough to win a title. I think that's insane. You would have a ridiculous Defense. Think of that D-line Allen, Walker, Dupree, Zadarius, Paschal, Bohanna....etc. You would have an all time stable of backs, All NFL offensive line, Best receiving core in the country and a healthy '22 Levis. I think that team would be a title contender this year. What do you guys think?

Again this is if you transported that team magically into this season with all other teams having their current rosters.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
Luckett said something the other day that I thought was ridiculous. He said if you made a super team of all the best players of the Stoops era its still wouldn't be good enough to win a title. I think that's insane. You would have a ridiculous Defense. Think of that D-line Allen, Walker, Dupree, Zadarius, Paschal, Bohanna....etc. You would have an all time stable of backs, All NFL offensive line, Best receiving core in the country and a healthy '22 Levis. I think that team would be a title contender this year. What do you guys think?

Again this is if you transported that team magically into this season with all other teams having their current rosters.

I disagree with him. I am not saying it would be a guarantee to win a title, but that team would be good enough to win one...
I am only going to list at least a 2 deep at every position, but then add some guys to fill out a few more players on OFFENSE/DEFENSE

OFFENSE: 24 Players
LT: Landon Young, Dare Rosenthal
LG: Bunchy Stallings, Kenneth Horsey
OC: Drake Jackson, Jon Toth
RG: Logan Stenberg, Luke Fortner
RT: Darian Kinnard, George Asafo-Adjei

QB: Will Levis, Devin Leary
RB: C-Rod, Benny Snell, Ray Davis, Boom Williams
WR 1: Dane Key, Barion Brown, Ahmad Wagner (gotta have someone to get defensive PIs, right?)
WR 2: Jeff Badet, Garrett Johnson, Josh Ali,
WR 3 (slot): Wandale Robinson, Lynn Bowden
TE: CJ Conrad, Brendan Bates

DEFENSE
DE: Josh Paschal, Za'Darius Smith, Tre'Vonn Rybka
NG: Quinton Bohanna, Josiah Hayes, Keshawn Silver
DT: Deone Walker, Calvin Taylor, Phil Hoskins

Jack: Josh Allen, JJ Weaver
MLB: Jamin Davis, D'Eryk Jackson
WLB: Deandre Square, Trevin Wallace
SLB: Bud Dupree, Boogie Watson, Jordan Wright

CB: Lonnie Johnson, Kelvin Joseph, Derrick Baity
S: Mike Edwards, Ty Ajian, Jalen Geiger
S: Darius West, Yusuf Corker
NB: Andru Phillips, Davonte Robinson
CB: Max Hairston, Brandin Echols

SPECIAL TEAMS:
PR: Lynn Bowden, Wandale Robinson
KR: Lynn Bowden, Barion Brown
K: Austin MacGinnis, Alex Raynor
P: Max Duffy

I have a HARD time believing that roster could not compete for a championship. I will admit it still lacks a QB that the last several national championship teams have had. However, that defense would be filthy...

Last edited:
I disagree with him. I am not saying it would be a guarantee to win a title, but that team would be good enough to win one...
I am only going to list at least a 2 deep at every position, but then add some guys to fill out a few more players on OFFENSE/DEFENSE

OFFENSE: 24 Players
LT: Landon Young, Dare Rosenthal
LG: Bunchy Stallings, Kenneth Horsey
OC: Drake Jackson, Jon Toth
RG: Logan Stenberg, Luke Fortner
RT: Darian Kinnard, George Asafo-Adjei

QB: Will Levis, Devin Leary
RB: C-Rod, Benny Snell, Ray Davis, Boom Williams
WR 1: Dane Key, Barion Brown, Ahmad Wagner (gotta have someone to get defensive PIs, right?)
WR 2: Jeff Badet, Garrett Johnson, Josh Ali,
WR 3 (slot): Wandale Robinson, Lynn Bowden
TE: CJ Conrad, Brendan Bates

DEFENSE
DE: Josh Paschal, Tre'Vonn Rybka, Oxendine
NG: Quinton Bohanna, Josiah Hayes, Keshawn Silver
DT: Deone Walker, Calvin Taylor, Phil Hoskins

Jack: Josh Allen, JJ Weaver
MLB: Jamin Davis, D'Eryk Jackson
WLB: Deandre Square, Trevin Wallace
SLB: Bud Dupree, Boogie Watson, Jordan Wright

CB: Lonnie Johnson, Kelvin Joseph, Derrick Baity
S: Mike Edwards, Ty Ajian, Jalen Geiger
S: Darius West, Yusuf Corker
NB: Andru Phillips, Davonte Robinson
CB: Max Hairston, Brandin Echols

SPECIAL TEAMS:
PR: Lynn Bowden, Wandale Robinson
KR: Lynn Bowden, Barion Brown
K: Austin MacGinnis, Alex Raynor
P: Max Duffy

I have a HARD time believing that roster could not compete for a championship. I will admit it still lacks a QB that the last several national championship teams have had. However, that defense would be filthy...
I agree. that was my biggest point was nothing is guaranteed but they would be good enough to win one. Just look at how disruptive this D-Line is right now. Then you give that line the best 1v1 pass rusher in the nation in Josh Allen. That would be wild to see. Mike Edwards would solidify that safety position like we haven't had in a while and gives you a captain on the back end. I was gonna do a 2 deep and then I got busy at work lol

I agree. that was my biggest point was nothing is guaranteed but they would be good enough to win one. Just look at how disruptive this D-Line is right now. Then you give that line the best 1v1 pass rusher in the nation in Josh Allen. That would be wild to see. Mike Edwards would solidify that safety position like we haven't had in a while and gives you a captain on the back end. I was gonna do a 2 deep and then I got busy at work lol

Not to mention that is a LOT of playmakers on offense as well. The team would still lack a consistent passer at the QB position, but if Levis had that OL in front of him, I think he could more often find one of the many playmakers on offense. If you run a 4 WR set...

WR: Dane Key
WR: Lynn Bowden
WR: Wandale Robinson
WR: Jeff Badet (or Garrett Johnson)

Then, you have either CRod or Benny in the backfield... I like the chances of moving the chains. The defense gets light in the box to cover Bowden/Wandale, CRod or Benny in the run game is lethal.

Last edited:
Defensively no doubt. Offensively even with talent, the scheme has been mediocre. But with the best of the best BBW and Benny, Davis, and CRod. You have a running game. Is there enough of a passing game?

Reactions: MontyCats
I would put Barker in as QB also, he was a very good home grown kid everyone seems to forget about... Sure he was injured in his first game and all that but he had skill and brains to back it up... All the others mentioned would make for a great all time team...

GBB

Not to mention that is a LOT of playmakers on offense as well. The team would still lack a consistent passer at the QB position, but if Levis had that OL in front of him, I think he could more often find one of the many playmakers on offense. If you run a 4 WR set...

WR: Dane Key
WR: Lynn Bowden
WR: Wandale Robinson
WR: Jeff Badet (or Garrett Robinson)

Then, you have either CRod or Benny in the backfield... I like the chances of moving the chains. The defense gets light in the box to cover Bowden/Wandale, CRod or Benny in the run game is lethal.
I agree. I also think we were robbed of a healthy '22 Levis. If he is just 10% better than he was in '21 I think that's a guy that can hit open receivers at a winning clip. I also think a healthy Levis gives these RBs even more room to run because you would have to worry about Levis pulling it from time to time. Not to mention the gadget plays you could come up with for Lynn and Wan'dale on the field together.

Defensively no doubt. Offensively even with talent, the scheme has been mediocre. But with the best of the best BBW and Benny, Davis, and CRod. You have a running game. Is there enough of a passing game?
Super good point. Who are we taking at OC? I assume '21 Coen but imagine what Gran could do with that amount of talent. I also dont think Neal Brown should be completely dismissed.

I would put Barker in as QB also, he was a very good home grown kid everyone seems to forget about... Sure he was injured in his first game and all that but he had skill and brains to back it up... All the others mentioned would make for a great all time team...

GBB
I do think QB is the only position that we would be hurting at most games. I still think a healthy '22 Levis could be good enough to win a title surrounded by all that talent.

I agree. I also think we were robbed of a healthy '22 Levis. If he is just 10% better than he was in '21 I think that's a guy that can hit open receivers at a winning clip. I also think a healthy Levis gives these RBs even more room to run because you would have to worry about Levis pulling it from time to time. Not to mention the gadget plays you could come up with for Lynn and Wan'dale on the field together.

Yep, imagine going 5 WR set
WR: Key, Barion, Bowden, Wandale, and Badet

Then motion Bowden into the backfield as the RB. Run RPO with Levis & Bowden knowing the defense HAS to worry about Barion and Badet deep with Key & Wandale working the underneath stuff.

Super good point. Who are we taking at OC? I assume '21 Coen but imagine what Gran could do with that amount of talent. I also dont think Neal Brown should be completely dismissed.

If Gran had that type of talent, I think he could be quite amazing. When he had offensive talent equal to his opposition at Cincy, didn't his offenses put up amazing numbers?

If Gran had that type of talent, I think he could be quite amazing. When he had offensive talent equal to his opposition at Cincy, didn't his offenses put up amazing numbers?
They did, that's true. I would like to see him have that kind of talent advantage.

Yep, imagine going 5 WR set
WR: Key, Barion, Bowden, Wandale, and Badet

Then motion Bowden into the backfield as the RB. Run RPO with Levis & Bowden knowing the defense HAS to worry about Barion and Badet deep with Key & Wandale working the underneath stuff.
Thats the only spot that worries me on the coaching staff is the creativity part of our OC.

Let me ask you this. Whats the chances Brock or Bush (OC) take a spot on this team by the end of the year? Brock is progressing like crazy and has a bigger toolbox than I think any other Stoops era QB did. Bush has called a couple really good games now. I am very anxious to see how he progresses as Stoops becomes more comfortable with him.

Reactions: The-Hack
Bit of a goofy premise but yeah, I agree they would compete for the sec and national title.

Agree with you about the premise being a little goofy... I just posted a lineup to combat what I thought was a poor statement from Luckett. It downplays the amount of talent Stoops has had AND especially how much he has improved the overall talent level since his arrival

If we allowed Bama or UGA to do the same (best lineups from the rosters during Stoops tenure), could KY compete? Nope.

But could the best of the best from Stoops' time at UK compete in any single year for a championship? Yes, I think they could.

Yes, I think they could.

I even think our best would put a scare into the best from UGA/BAMA.

Ray Davis has to be two-deep. His TD/Touch ratio shamed the other KY stars, and about everyone in the history of football, save Barry Sanders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT