ADVERTISEMENT

Cost of golf clubs

KyFaninNC

All-American
Mar 14, 2005
PXG charging $1000.00 and more for a driver, $2400.00 set of irons. No way those damn clubs would improve anyones game that much. Ridiculous. Even TM, Callaway and Titleist are wanting $500.00 for a driver, which I refuse to pay. Wait 6 months and you get them for half price.

Reactions: MrLair
120315063230-gallagher-comedian-story-top.jpg

Used drivers and fairway woods are definitely the way to go. Much, much cheaper. Also irons now are no better than irons in the 90's so there is no reason to even upgrade those things.

I have a full compliment of cobra irons and woods I bought in 96-98. Dont plan to upgrade.

PXG charging $1000.00 and more for a driver, $2400.00 set of irons. No way those damn clubs would improve anyones game that much. Ridiculous. Even TM, Callaway and Titleist are wanting $500.00 for a driver, which I refuse to pay. Wait 6 months and you get them for half price.

Did they force you to buy them or something? Parsons said from the beginning his clubs were only for a select few.

I played 18 today at Hickey Sticks, with two others forced into our 2-some, because it was so backed up. We talked about this a ton.

Folks, before you buy a new driver or any club, go to a place that will put you on a simulation mat/map. Not only will you know what you need, you don't have to pay the new club price every year.

I was playing a Taylor Made RllS. Could not keep it straight. Went up and was going to buy a M1, or Callaway.

Got on the mat and hell no. I tried a few clubs but I ended up with a Ping G 30. Best driver I have ever had.

My advise for any golfer, don't buy clubs because of name or year. My buddy still has a Wilson 360cc ages old, and drives it 260-5.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
I just spent 4 days watching the Ladies PGA here in Taiwan. Spent time talking to Minjee Lee and we talked about clubs. She told me that the best round she ever played was with borrowed clubs that were her friends.

Basically, her attitude was you play the clubs that sponsors you no matter what the brand. Just make sure they are fitted to the player.

Last edited:
Not false. I play Ping iSi irons that came out in 1996 and hit them just as far and strait as anyone else. I have Callaway fairway woods from 3 different years and they all feel and hit exactly the same except for the loft. I did buy a new driver 3 years ago, which was better than my 10 year old driver at the time, but driver technology has not improved much over the last 6 years or so either. There is no reason to go out and drop thousands on clubs. You can figure your iron fit out and buy used fitted irons from Ping with the dot system all over eBay. You can find used fairway woods everywhere. Maybe a new driver is worth it, but a gently used one to your specs is half the price and just fine.

LOL.

Getting new clubs isn't the key to being good or even improving your game if you aren't at a certain level...it's not even on the short list; true.

In fact, pretty sure I agree with what you are trying to say to the average golfer, and what I've always said: Save your money, get some decent clubs, and invest in lessons/practice over anything.

I also agree club costs are a joke, and getting completely out of control.

...but you're arguing clubs/technology isn't any better now than it was 20 years ago (or even 5), and won't make a difference for anyone under any circumstance? [laughing] That's just absolutely false.

You're clearly a hack, and a poor.

Last edited:
I've had the TM rbz stage 2 for a few years now...I don't see any reason to change. I've always bought stuff off globalgolf and got them for a pretty good price

The poors amuse me with their endless schemings to to escape the clutches of their condition. I can cut here and wait there and save that...

No, You cannot. Even when you have the used clubs, even when you wait for the discount, you are still poor. You will be looked down upon and judged for your cut rate discount equipment. Everyone will be talking about you. Right now a fairly large contingent in the club house are laughing at the OP right now as a matter of fact. No way around it, really. If you are poor then there is no secret plan to save you from it. You are simply poor until you have a significant amount of money and if you have a significant amount of money you're aren't grovelling around looking for White Castle coupons. It will always be that way and not some other.

Matter of fact I am all in favor of everyone having to post a $25,000.00 retainer to post in the Paddock. We need to weed out the riff-raff.

Last edited:
Or we could impose a 25,000 calorie per day limit on posters and be done with your fat ass for good. Chew on that, Biggun.

[laughing]

Struck a fat chord did I? You can still have a bakers dozen of chocolate covered KK's and get under the wire. Well, not under an actual wire, but you know what I mean. Eat on, Rollo.

Yeah, clubs nowadays are no better than clubs from 20 years ago or older. Nothing has changed a bit.

Jesus Christ almighty.

True. But for some it doesn't apply. I'm still playing Ping Zing black dot Karsten, hit them fine. Just get new grips every year.

I've bought new irons thinking it would help me, but I always go back to my Ping's.

Driver on the other hand I completely agree.

This guy explains it pretty well. He talks mainly about the Driver, but the level of forgiveness newer irons offer is remarkable better than irons made 20 years ago. If you are a hack, the newer Game Improvement clubs will do wonders to poor ball strikers that older clubs could not do.

Reactions: MrHotDice
The poors amuse me with their endless schemings to to escape the clutches of their condition. I can cut here and wait there and save that...

No, You cannot. Even when you have the used clubs, even when you wait for the discount, you are still poor. You will be looked down upon and judged for your cut rate discount equipment. Everyone will be talking about you. Right now a fairly large contingent in the club house are laughing at the OP right now as a matter of fact. No way around it, really. If you are poor then there is no secret plan to save you from it. You are simply poor until you have a significant amount of money and if you have a significant amount of money you're aren't grovelling around looking for White Castle coupons. It will always be that way and not some other.

Matter of fact I am all in favor of everyone having to post a $25,000.00 retainer to post in the Paddock. We need to weed out the riff-raff.

So you run out and buy new clubs twice a year? You can't buy a game. How far you hit your 2 iron? If

The new forged irons by Mizino are very good new clubs.

I have had Wilson Staffs for 25 years. First the x-31 and after that the Staff tour blades.

I used to think they were the best clubs around until I hit the new Mizino JPX 900 tour.

Increased my distance 20 yards with more feel. For someone getting into golf it probably doesn't matter what you hit but if you are a good golfer and shoot below 80, these new clubs from many manufactures are better sticks.

Club heads made of boran, light weight shafts, they are better but not worth the money they want nowadays.

Just an opinion.

The new forged irons by Mizino are very good new clubs.

I have had Wilson Staffs for 25 years. First the x-31 and after that the Staff tour blades.

I used to think they were the best clubs around until I hit the new Mizino JPX 900 tour.

Increased my distance 20 yards with more feel. For someone getting into golf it probably doesn't matter what you hit but if you are a good golfer and shoot below 80, these new clubs from many manufactures are better sticks.

Club heads made of boran, light weight shafts, they are better but not worth the money they want nowadays.

Just an opinion.
Been looking at those myself. Have the MP54's right now. Also like the Calloway Apex 16's as well. Just need to hit both to see what I like best.

I agree 100% OP. Same with putters. I got a really good deal about 15 years ago when a putt - putt course went out of business here in town. I picked up a nice putter for $2. I do miss my old Bulls Eye gold putter it replaced. Every since I picked that putter up from the putt - putt place, I have been putting lights out. I will challenge Jordan Spieth and his fancy $250 Scotty whatever his name is putter, anytime he wants to hit the greens and line em up. Spending all that $$ on a damn putter is for losers who like to throw money away. Not a bit of difference from my $2 blue, rubber bladed putter and those high end putters sold in the big fancy golf places, none. And would be willing to bet so. I actually like the way the ball feels coming off of the rubber putter better than the new stuff out.

Reactions: stevo51
And for those that think distance is everything, keep in mind that most of the irons out there are set anywhere from 2-4 degrees strong and that is the reason the pros especially, hit the ball so damn far. Lots of good clubs out there and getting fitted is a great thing to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT