ADVERTISEMENT

Complacency In Coaching....The Calipari and Pat Fitzgerald Situations

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
Thanks for the great responses in the thread I started yesterday about what the one thing about Calipari you think has lead to the downfall of UK basketball under him in recent years.

Complacency is something many have mentioned-- potentially due to the lifetime contract. Who knows.

Being an Iowa and Big 10 guy, I present you the case currently of Northwestern football coach Pat Fitzgerald. He's a guy who ALWAYS found a way to do much more with less for several years there-- being a thorn in everyone's side and winning at high levels. Became maybe the most recognizable face within the entire NW university system. Was loved by all-- still loved there by many. Was told he had a job there as long as he ever wanted. The university admin. saw him as their hero.

Now look at what's happened there: 3 of the last 4 years Northwestern has won 3 games or less in a season. This past year they had one win and were the worst team in Power 5 football. I would watch many of his weekly pressers during the past horrible season for them and he was the most happy-go-lucky dude on campus-- you'd have thought his team was undefeated instead of the nation's worst. Then he fires his Defensive Coordinator after the season (he had no choice) and it took him almost two months to name his replacement. He's lost a ton of guys in the portal this winter without getting one guy.

Now news just broke last night the university has hired an investigation firm to look into "hazing" charges by at least one player that took place within the program since the season ended.

Lots of talk now that full-blown COMPLACENCY may be the root of the issues there.

Not saying Calipari's situation is just like Fitzgerald's, but whether it be in sport or in the business world, I really have no idea how a coach still can have the same burning desire to win and bust his ass when he feels he's invincible. The biggest difference is the UK basketball fan base is ultra passionate while the NW fan base for basketball barely gives a shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACTSEAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT