ADVERTISEMENT

Competitor Stadiums...

CatsFanGG24

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 23, 2003
300px-Cliff_Hagan_Stadium_2012-06.jpg

cliff-hagan-stadium-51684dda4203c36509000a43.jpg

First, start off with our own beauty: CHS (after viewing the rest of these, man this is behind!)

Feel free to add pics and commentary...

Our recruiting hasn't been bad...but it has been said that some of our guys wouldn't have come here had they visited elsewhere in the SEC.

Sadly, the field could be confused for an extremely nice high school field...would fit in some D2/NAIA/D3 leagues...and is completely outmatched by most, if not all of the SEC.

Like the character in that one! Liked d3 Mississippi College and Birmingham Southern as well...nice fields and good atmospheres.

Was said that during conference games Birm Southern would have frat guys throw a couch on the visitors dugout and heckle like crazy.

Well ain't that the shit!

See, it isn't that hard to have a fantastic college baseball set up.

And what's worse, they average right at 2000 a game. And that's actual butts in the seats. Not tickets sold.

Well ain't that the shit!

See, it isn't that hard to have a fantastic college baseball set up.
It is when you DO NOT have boosters that care and are willing to fund...Liberty was founded in 1971 and is a private Baptist college...So no it isn't hard if you have the dollars to fund it and until the fans revolted 4 years ago with football the ONLY program that the vast majority of donors cared about was basketball even though we play in a conference that cares more about football and baseball than basketball...Sad , but true...and there is nothing wrong with us loving our basketball , but damn let's at least make more than an half-ass effort...

Well boosters would make it easier, but I'm sure they could find the money to make an awesome setup.

And maybe a new energetic coach could get some high $ guys and gals excited about baseball and ready to donate.

I'm in the minority here as I'm not a basketball fan at all. The only games I watch are UK games but those are few and far between. And I can't watch any other teams play. Now, as for baseball and football, I'll watch any game that's on and I've spend so much time on the watchEspn app that you may think I need therapy. UK is a basketball school but I think the powers at be need to realize that the SEC is not a basketball conference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the new media contract UK signed with JMI have almost 14 million dollars set aside for a new baseball stadium?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the new media contract UK signed with JMI have almost 14 million dollars set aside for a new baseball stadium?

Don't know about that, but it was said on Finebaum's show today that each SEC school is expected to reap $30 million in revenue from the SEC Network for this past year. Will be interesting to see how UK earmarks that money...

Don't know about that, but it was said on Finebaum's show today that each SEC school is expected to reap $30 million in revenue from the SEC Network for this past year. Will be interesting to see how UK earmarks that money...

Chances are the basketball team will need something new.

I wonder what our players think when they play at other SEC stadiums. Liberty's stadium is not that big. Only having a 2500 capacity (The Cliff is 3000). But Liberty Stadium has the look of a nice stadium. No reason we cannot build something like that for UK. We don't need anything as big as LSU or USC.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
I see no reason to have a stadium the size of Alex Box or Blue Bell park but somewhere between 4-6K isnt asking for much. I believe the capacity of James Patterson is 4,000.

I don't think they should bring in extra bleachers. I am against extra bleachers. Basically our field should be similar to Liberty's field. You put 4,000 worth of bleachers in there and they will run basically until the start of the outfield. From there you have a berm on both sides. You make sure you have an enclosed bullpen either behind the walls in the outfield or you have them just past the berms on both sides. I personally dislike bullpens to be just in foul territory. I prefer them to be entirely out of play. It is safer and IMO looks better.

I would love for us to get to a point where we could have bleachers all around like LSU, Ark, etc. but I think we just need to get something a bit more updated and with the ability to hold plenty of people. 4,000 or 4,500 plus berms would be great for us.

I don't think they should bring in extra bleachers. I am against extra bleachers. Basically our field should be similar to Liberty's field. You put 4,000 worth of bleachers in there and they will run basically until the start of the outfield. From there you have a berm on both sides. You make sure you have an enclosed bullpen either behind the walls in the outfield or you have them just past the berms on both sides. I personally dislike bullpens to be just in foul territory. I prefer them to be entirely out of play. It is safer and IMO looks better.

I would love for us to get to a point where we could have bleachers all around like LSU, Ark, etc. but I think we just need to get something a bit more updated and with the ability to hold plenty of people. 4,000 or 4,500 plus berms would be great for us.

I agree. I was talking about bleachers as temporary seats if we host a regional and need more seating.

I knew what you meant. We had to do that a couple years ago, I guess in 2012. I am just not a fan of that. Let people sit on the berms. Don't bring in temporary seating. I don't think there is any need for it.

Some people want to argue that we didn't get to host in 2012 because we didn't have a big enough stadium. I think that is crap, and we will use this year as an example. Two minor teams got to host in this year's NCAA tournament. Starting with Dallas Baptist: Horner Field only holds 2,000 fans. Dallas Baptist made it to the final game of their regional, a game with had an attendance of 2,093. I believe the game that drew the most fans in the regional was the Texas/DBU game which had about 3,200 fans. Another team was UC Santa Barbara. Wikipedia lists the capacity of the Goucho's stadium at just 1,000 fans. In their regional they brought in over 3,000 to the San Diego State game, but the USC game drew just barely over 1,500. You might be able to also add Cal St. Fullerton to this mix.

I am not going to argue about whether those teams were deserving to host or not, but if the NCAA really wanted to make more money then they could have overlooked those teams and gone with others that would have been much more likely to get them money. For instance, Arkansas was shipped to Oklahoma State. In the games OK State played they pulled in probably no more than 3,800 fans (which was the Arky game if I am not mistaken). However, Arkansas regularly pulls in 8,000 fans per game. So, they could have made a lot more money if they would have put Arkansas as a regional host rather than DBU, etc.

So, I don't think that they are as worried about money as many think. It might make a slight difference if it is really down to you and a traditional powerhouse, but if you play well enough throughout the season you'll be rewarded regardless of your stadium's size.

Yes, a 4500 seat stadium would fill the bill. It would be a 50% increase in seating over the Cliff ( 3,000), and would be pretty pleasing for the fans. They could sell standing room tickets for a regional-Super regional.

Reactions: cats1068
Just a little frustration vent here but I have been watching a ton of baseball this weekend with the super regional going. One thing that really stuck out is just how nice the stadiums are around the country. I know it's been said many times before, but it's sickening to see how far behind UK really is.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I don't. Baseball should be played on grass and dirt, not a carpet.

I agree. The more I watched teams play on the turf this weekend the more I disliked it. Even teams that play on it all the time can't figure out how to properly slide on the turf and often just face plant on it. I understand you get a better hop and you might get to practice more on it during the winter months, but I still prefer the natural playing surface that dirt provides.

Reactions: kat57
I've heard a new stadium announcement is expected before the end of the year. We'll see if that actually comes to fruition. I believe the plan is to build it near the new softball/soccer stadiums.

I've heard a new stadium announcement is expected before the end of the year. We'll see if that actually comes to fruition. I believe the plan is to build it near the new softball/soccer stadiums.

Would be nice if they would go ahead and get this started. That has been the plan for years, but nothing has ever came of it. They have seemingly announced it numerous times, but not really done anything about it. Tired of waiting.

Would be nice if they would go ahead and get this started. That has been the plan for years, but nothing has ever came of it. They have seemingly announced it numerous times, but not really done anything about it. Tired of waiting.
I agree as I've heard the same rumor numerous times. I honestly believe though that the new stadium will be announced sooner rather than later. It sounds like they finally have the funding and location issues settled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT