ADVERTISEMENT

Coming up. UK signee Hickman faces TyTy Washington tonight, 6pm ESPNU

Message to UK fans a non starting freshman at UK is OK. Traditional schools have this happen tons of times every year. Cal needs to temper the one and done appropriately depending the situation. Not EVERY freshman that comes to UK is one and done and Cal needs to be forthcoming with kids that aren’t. They are our building blocks. Thats a foundation. That’s good for our program.

He doesn't have enough length, he's to short, he wasn't a 5 star coming out of high school, and he is not an nba draft choice. Remember Calipari is still the coach, and these are the things that he uses when recruiting players. He is not going to change, and if you think he is , then I don't know what to tell you.
I thought you had inside info as to why. We all know about Cal and the points above and we can only hope he will make an exception for next year. I have never expected him to change so you don’t have to worry about what to tell me.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Hard to judge Hickman on one all star game. He DOES seem to have a pretty decent handle and looked tonight at least to be the type of guard who tries to get his teammates the ball. Time will tell how well that equates to college ball, howevervtonights showing was encouraging.

Guys, take it from everyone who has seen Hickman play more than just this one game...(just about everyone who has watched him play many times has said similar things to this)... its completely unfair to expect him to be majorly depended on in year 1.

IMO he's a lot like Cliff Hawkins in the fact, he'll be outstanding for us after year 1 but in year one will do some good stuff for us but not be a stud and not be real consistent. imo he's still better at PG and than Askew. Getting Mintz back to play PG or a transfer that can be depended on every game is what we need and Hickman can be a darn good backup in year 1.

One of the best things about Hickman is he knows he’s a couple years away, if what Biancardi was saying during the broadcast is true.
I read something about him coming in expecting to start. Not that it was promised but that they was that confident. Seems to be the opposite of what you heard?

I read something about him coming in expecting to start. Not that it was promised but that they was that confident. Seems to be the opposite of what you heard?
I’m just going by what Paul Biancardi said during the game and he said Hickman is going to UK not expecting to be a one and done. Biancardi interviewed him earlier in the day and that was his thoughts on Hickman. I love the fact that he has the confidence to think he can start but I also like the fact that he realizes it’s hard to do as a freshman.

Last edited:
I thought you had inside info as to why. We all know about Cal and the points above and we can only hope he will make an exception for next year. I have never expected him to change so you don’t have to worry about what to tell me.
So Reid Travis, julius mays, Davion Mintz, nate sestina all fit the freak athlete/wingspan etc stereotype you all seem to think Cal only values?

Reactions: CatTough
He doesn't have enough length, he's to short, he wasn't a 5 star coming out of high school, and he is not an nba draft choice. Remember Calipari is still the coach, and these are the things that he uses when recruiting players. He is not going to change, and if you think he is , then I don't know what to tell you.
Cal took Ulis when he was not projected as a NBA draft choice. Being only 5'9" he was short and no length for a point guard. That shoots your theory all to hell.

In what sense? He's not Knight, Wall, Shai? He's not supposed to be! Get your expectations in check.
Hickman is going to be a really good point guard for Kentucky. He is exactly what they need for the future. He may not start if Mintz comes back but he will be playing a lot of point guard.

Even if Hickman is good, he would be a Freshman and except in very rare cases the history does not suggest that would be a great immediate answer for the one glaring weakness that will exist. Cal must get a point guard transfer of proven capability. Mintz was good but stood out to me because others were really bad. I don't see him as elite either like some we have seen in the tourney. Mintz shooting was hot and cold, his ball handling skills were average, and I didn't see him make great passes for assists. Again, we need a really great proven experienced point guard. A few are out there and not sure why Cal isn't all over a few of them.

Even if Hickman is good, he would be a Freshman and except in very rare cases the history does not suggest that would be a great immediate answer for the one glaring weakness that will exist. Cal must get a point guard transfer of proven capability. Mintz was good but stood out to me because others were really bad. I don't see him as elite either like some we have seen in the tourney. Mintz shooting was hot and cold, his ball handling skills were average, and I didn't see him make great passes for assists. Again, we need a really great proven experienced point guard. A few are out there and not sure why Cal isn't all over a few of them.

You said that several times in other threads? Is that the best you got? Your go to comment huh? Sadly we have to leave it to Cal because it doesn’t appear he is leaving unfortunately.
He will not leave just so he can know you are crying yourself to sleep every night. He loves seeing a grown man cry.

Not sure why the comments above were attached to my post????? I did not say anything about Cal leaving?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT