ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado carnage?

maysvilleky

All-American
Aug 13, 2003
Over 50 players from last year’s Colorado roster have hit the portal. Most have been told they were being cut.

Prime seems to be confident that he has a whole slew of new guys coming in. But replacing 50 seems like a huge number.

Thoughts on how this is going to turn out for the Buffs?

Over 50 players from last year’s Colorado roster have hit the portal. Most have been told they were being cut.

Prime seems to be confident that he has a whole slew of new guys coming in. But replacing 50 seems like a huge number.

Prime is upgrading his roster. Colorado will be much better this year because of it.
Prime will be a big winner in Colorado.

I hope he falls flat on his face. I think he's overrated just like charlie strong was when he was the coach at ul. I think he'll do better than charlie though on the fact that he'll have better players
If Vito can take the discipline that Prime demands, he will become a star on the field.

Reactions: JASUN74
Lot of fans here locally starting to dislike Prime and all the cuts he's made. And the way he's just running guys off. Not making a lot of friends the way this is being handled. I'll wait and see if Prime is as good as he thinks he is. I'm very skeptical he can get them beyond .500 but we'll see.

I'll believe it when I see it, guy is as abrasive as they come. I can't see it meshing with today's culture. He may have gotten away with it at a smaller school where the kids didn't have as many options but I'm doubtful many top prospects are gonna sign up to be treated like that.

No matter how much talent coming in they’ll have no practice to get into the system in year one….cohesion is going to be an issue. If guys like smoke and Vito are going to be mainstays…they ain’t elite dudes imo….Vito was getting buried on depth chart and couldn’t force his was to starting even if he was on roster….smoke was ‘meh’

And their defense scheme is one of those joke three Dline and five dbs. Typical all offense crap defense stuff

But watch his roster attrition for years to come…when you sale a program with all the big talks, dudes wjtb all me attitudes….they’ll be picking up rhe second friction hits them

It's going to be a disaster.
But, I can see why Colorado took a chance. Trying to regain their glory from 30+ years ago.

They have I believe 48 coming in signed and in the portal already. He said to the media that we know who we have coming in, you all don’t. I like him. When he was hired he flat told the team in his introduction that most of them prolly wouldn’t be there next season. He was hired to win and all the guys who went 1-10 needed to really show something or be cut basically. I believe like only 18-19 scholarship players are returning.

How much of a disaster could it be? They went 1-10. If he gets them to .500, and then wins like 8 games a year or two later his name will be even hotter.
I will be surprised if he ever wins 8 games there. He's already rubbing a lot of people the wrong way. 50 transfers is beyond reason. You think any of those dudes are going to leave the Colorado program and hand out a sterling review of Prime?
Sanders is a creation of ESPN and the newest flash-in-the-pan darling of the national sports media.

I will be surprised if he ever wins 8 games there. He's already rubbing a lot of people the wrong way. 50 transfers is beyond reason. You think any of those dudes are going to leave the Colorado program and hand out a sterling review of Prime?
Sanders is a creation of ESPN and the newest flash-in-the-pan darling of the national sports media.
I don’t think it matters in the end, he has replacements lined up so it must not be too bad.

It’s a bad look & tough break for the kids, but he is paid to win & a lot of publicity in the media will be crazy during the season on how this plays out..

Bottom line, it’s just shows college athletics is no longer, it’s all professional model now..

Reactions: westerncat
They have I believe 48 coming in signed and in the portal already. He said to the media that we know who we have coming in, you all don’t. I like him. When he was hired he flat told the team in his introduction that most of them prolly wouldn’t be there next season. He was hired to win and all the guys who went 1-10 needed to really show something or be cut basically. I believe like only 18-19 scholarship players are returning.
Well he’s already had two transfer into Colorado basically play a spring game and then bail back to thru portal…from Michigan and Florida

I’ll give him time but no matter how much talent you have….this ain’t a pro bowl…football requires teamwork and cohesion to be really good. You can’t just pick up dudes off street at this rate and plug and chug like an aau bball team (which is the worst sports contest I’ve ever wasted my time watching )

Oline need time to get, Qb and receivers need time to know where to place the pass, defense needs to know their assignments and gap discipline is vital etc.

I think he’ll go better then 1-10 but I don’t see him winning 9+ games anytime soon. I could see him plateau at 6-7 which is major yawn for a pac 12 team to be fair

Well he’s already had two transfer into Colorado basically play a spring game and then bail back to thru portal…from Michigan and Florida

I’ll give him time but no matter how much talent you have….this ain’t a pro bowl…football requires teamwork and cohesion to be really good. You can’t just pick up dudes off street at this rate and plug and chug like an aau bball team (which is the worst sports contest I’ve ever wasted my time watching )

Oline need time to get, Qb and receivers need time to know where to place the pass, defense needs to know their assignments and gap discipline is vital etc.

I think he’ll go better then 1-10 but I don’t see him winning 9+ games anytime soon. I could see him plateau at 6-7 which is major yawn for a pac 12 team to be fair
Yeah but a pretty good turnaround for a 1-11 team.

I don’t like the way he’s handled the situation because some of the guys have been hurt. I hope he fails and I know he doesn’t want any part of the SEC.
They were 1 and 11. At some point you realize there are many many reasons they were that bad. Mostly because they had no stars. None. Best to pull the band aid off and get this pain over quickly. The first thing that gets a coach fired is bad players.

Reactions: gojvc
No matter how much talent coming in they’ll have no practice to get into the system in year one….cohesion is going to be an issue. If guys like smoke and Vito are going to be mainstays…they ain’t elite dudes imo….Vito was getting buried on depth chart and couldn’t force his was to starting even if he was on roster….smoke was ‘meh’

And their defense scheme is one of those joke three Dline and five dbs. Typical all offense crap defense stuff

But watch his roster attrition for years to come…when you sale a program with all the big talks, dudes wjtb all me attitudes….they’ll be picking up rhe second friction hits them
Did the 1-11 squad have this cohesion you speak of? If I have to have no cohesion, I would prefer they be good players in that situation, not players in a 1 win season.

With the portal, the days of five year turnarounds are over. Colorado needed a tough love approach. I'm sure if we had the benefit of the Portal when Stoops first got here, he would have purged that roster too. Instead that process took about four years. Colorado fans must not be too upset if they sold out their spring game in the snow, and sold out their season tickets already.

Did the 1-11 squad have this cohesion you speak of? If I have to have no cohesion, I would prefer they be good players in that situation, not players in a 1 win season.
I would guess not much if any cohesion....but let's set the table reasonably. Colorado did crater to 1 -11 in 2022 but the Bufs were a 4-5 win team before that. The infamous Mel Tucker did 1 year (5 wins) and skipped on to Mich St.

But 8-10 win teams....will require talent and some really good coaching and cohesion to occur to win. Roster turnover anything approaching 51 dudes leaving ain't going to translate to 8-10 wins annually.

Reactions: mrschwump
Takes A LOT to be given the boot from a CMS team but I do hope he lands on his feet and overcomes the obstacles he seems to continually encounter.
Colorado is not Kentucky. Prime is not CMS.
Two entirely different cultures.

How much of a disaster could it be? They went 1-10. If he gets them to .500, and then wins like 8 games a year or two later his name will be even hotter.
I think he'll be fine at CU. I doubt they compete for PAC12 'ship any time soon, I think the real disaster will be when he does what you mentioned above and some name brand school decides to take a chance on him.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think he'll be fine at CU. I doubt they compete for PAC12 'ship any time soon, I think the real disaster will be when he does what you mentioned above and some name brand school decides to take a chance on him.
It will be interesting to see for sure.

Don't know if he'll make it but think his long term goal is NFL.

How is it 'carnage' when in Prime's introductory press conference he literally looked at the Colorado players and told them to go elsewhere as he would be bringing his own luggage?

FWIW Lincoln Riley did almost the same exact thing to So Cal's roster 12 months ago. Stole talent from his old employer Oklahoma and bought others like Addison. If Prime is a villan so are lots of other coaches.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
How is it 'carnage' when in Prime's introductory press conference he literally looked at the Colorado players and told them to go elsewhere as he would be bringing his own luggage?

FWIW Lincoln Riley did almost the same exact thing to So Cal's roster 12 months ago. Stole talent from his old employer Oklahoma and bought others like Addison. If Prime is a villan so are lots of other coaches.
It's more so the public facing part and inability to exhibit tact. No one is gonna blame a coach for coming in and building the best possible roster. But you don't have to look like an ass while doing it. These kids earned their scholarship from the prior staff, and pulling them is going to dash some dreams. I 100% get needing to dismiss some of the existing players that don't suit your system or meet your talent expectations, but there are ways to do that, at least public facing, that prevent one from looking like an asshole.

Deion has always leaned into that part of his personality so I don't expect him to change, ever, but it's not the best look from a guy parents are entrusting their kids with.

Their Defensive coordinator came from Alabama, and running nickel is pretty much the norm base defense anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT