ADVERTISEMENT

College ball is a different game now

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
In the past two days we have witnessed 1,2,3, and 5 all fall to unranked and less talented teams. Number 4 is currently trailing as well. The addition of the portal has brought parity to a sport that’s been controlled by the same handful of teams for decades. I kinda dig it. But it also proves even the best teams cannot fall asleep at the wheel or its lights out.

I love the parity. I've also grown tired of people on this board making knee jerk reactions and overreacting based on one game sample sizes. Hopefully as this keeps happening people will learn that looking bad for a single game or losing to a bad team or to someone you shouldn't lose to doesn't mean the losing team is overrated or a fraud.

I don't care for it... so much seeing a player grow for 3-4 years. (Not like UK has done that during the Cal Era)

Also it takes away from UK I think and I don't care for it.

Perhaps maybe we should extend the tournament past 68 teams

Reactions: jmw23712
It is just this simple, it seems to me … EVERYBODY has players that can beat you on any given night, if you don’t play well !!

Games like ours against St. Peter’s two (2) years ago are pretty commonplace now …

Last edited:
"There is more parity! There aren't any elite teams!" Is a mantra repeated regarding college basketball for at least 20 years. I have yet to see any compelling evidence that the average team is closer to the top team now than in the past.

I don't care for it... so much seeing a player grow for 3-4 years. (Not like UK has done that during the Cal Era)

I worry a bit as well about teams encroaching upon Kentucky’s station. It may be a hard pill to swallow but we need Cal to get these kids drafted now more than ever. High school kids or portal kids, doesn’t matter as long as UK remains a destination spot for the best players.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
The college game was ruined a long time ago.

It’s all about coaches and officials.

NIL is now shifting power to the players and coaches and officials don’t like it.

The major conferences just want basketball to get out of the way.

The money is in football. Just follow the money.

I worry a bit as well about teams encroaching upon Kentucky’s station. It may be a hard pill to swallow but we need Cal to get these kids drafted now more than ever. High school kids or portal kids, doesn’t matter as long as UK remains a destination spot for the best players.
Ugh I hate to admit this is true….

The same ppl that want to see players grow trash a kid if he comes here and doesn't produce immediately and think he's a failure.

Unless he's from KY, outside of sheppard whos elite, then actually its that they're not playing enough

"There is more parity! There aren't any elite teams!" Is a mantra repeated regarding college basketball for at least 20 years. I have yet to see any compelling evidence that the average team is closer to the top team now than in the past.

Let's revisit this in 18 to 20 years and see how the NIL era is. It was pretty random last year n the ncaa with only UCONN a known entity in final four. I do expect more parity.

In the past two days we have witnessed 1,2,3, and 5 all fall to unranked and less talented teams. Number 4 is currently trailing as well. The addition of the portal has brought parity to a sport that’s been controlled by the same handful of teams for decades. I kinda dig it. But it also proves even the best teams cannot fall asleep at the wheel or its lights out.
Road is tougher but if you look at the last 10 NCAA champions, other than Baylor, they are all the very prominent or blue blood programs. The rich stay rich.

The portal definitely plays a part. But mostly, I just think basketball players continue to get better. The gap between players has decreased and if you don't have a really good night you can get beat. Talent is spread out all around the country. The big programs still get the best players and should be better teams, but they better be bringing their A game in today's landscape of college basketball.

1 seeds losing to 16s. Dogs are living with cats…

Reactions: michaeluk26
Even though college basketball is always evolving, the last 2 days can't be used as evidence of it.

Maybe more parity . But conference road games have always been tough. Even if you’re a top 5 team playing away against an unranked team. If that unranked team is still pretty good, it’ll be a battle. Top teams lose on the road to unranked conference teams quite often

Reactions: Rockfly78
It seems like people have been saying this for the last 5 years like it is something new. We have actually been seeing it for longer than 5 to be honest the past 8 years it has been going on.

The college game was ruined a long time ago.

It’s all about coaches and officials.

NIL is now shifting power to the players and coaches and officials don’t like it.

The major conferences just want basketball to get out of the way.

The money is in football. Just follow the money.
This is one of the very few times I agree with you and I never thought those words would pass my lips. The first two sentences summed it all up. The only college basketball games I watch anymore are UK games. Gave up the rest of it about 10 years ago. Football will be ruined soon. Just watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT