ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Pope Coaches show

Glad he clarified the Tony Bennett comment because I want 0 to do with Tony Bennett basketball approach on either side of the ball. Pack line is a horrible defensive system because it's predicated on not getting points off your defense and just eliminates uptempo basketball. Now saying you want to defend each possession tough like Bennett is a lot different and that relieved me a great deal.

Staff.. Couple guys that will finilize in the next few days.

Recruiting. No real new info. All options will be used. Portal and recruiting freshmen... Looking for players that fit not just raw talent. Still looking at a few players that have been "floating around the program"

Joked about having a workout contest with Rock Oliver, last one standing gets Courtside seats for Arkansas game. Said it could be a NIL thing.

Talked about Reed going in top 4-7. Said that's rare air. Said it's a rare space. Talked to Jeff and Stacey and said he would be praying Reed would come back.

Talked about how practices at BYU, after the drills/practice was over. Assistants where not allowed to talk. Said the players held each other accountable.

Offense scheme is top secret..... Followed by laughing. Game away from the ball is putting 2 - 3 players in motion. Great cutters to create space (and get paid). Heavy pace in transition. Force people to guard the whole court. (27x50)

Break... Defense next

Defense approach.... Looks for little spaces in the game to change it up. He calls them punches. It's a drastically diffrent look to throw the other team off. High risk, high reward. Charts how they can keep teams off balance. Leach mentions how Pitino used to chart everything on defense. Pope tells story about how hard Pitino was about defense. Using the whole timeout to yell. Talked about his time with Larry Bird, and how he did his timeouts...Both Bird and Pitino had a knack of breaking down the defense to the most basic detail and focus on a few things. He plans to using scouting reports to focus on key parts.

Not a huge fan of the denim Converse shoes.

Break

Pope on L's down.... Going to keep his mouth closed as he laughs.

Fouling up 3 late in a game. Went to Kenpom. Thinks the data is super neutral. To many factors to give a one size fits all answer.

How he use analytics. Says he uses it because he is not really smart. Laughing. Will use it to help. Not as many games in college to make the numbers work as well as they can in the NBA. The dynamics of college game from start of the year to the end with freshmen makes it hard to use.

Speaking about Coach Rose....

Speaking about Pitino...Most Demanding person he has ever been around. Forced him to raise to meet the level. Gave them unwavering belive that they could do anything. Fearless.

Break

Returning players and recruits... It's been fun. Enjoy the conversations. Building relationships. Does not want to trick kids to come. Wants kids that want to wear the uniform. His phone is blowing up on kids wanting to come. Wants to find the right guys...... No Info on current players.

So you use analytics on recruiting... Yes. He does.

Talking about Mr. Wildcat... Said he would have been happy and crying. Said he was a dear friend.

Advice from former teammates.... Win..... Just win!!!

End of show.

Did the best I could... Lol
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Reactions: RobEStacy
That’s one person I miss to is Mr Wildcat…..
Believe it or not a long time ago you could pretty much just go in Rupp Arena and wonder around. I'm sure you weren't supposed to obviously but there wasn't anyone really stopping you. I was a young kid and somehow me and my Mom were wondering around and ran into Mr. Keightley. He asked us in a gruff manner what we were doing there. Mom told him she was a life long fan and wanted to show her son around and we kind of got lost. He ended up giving us a tour. He's the nicest man I've ever met and yeah, I miss him too!

I think next years roster might be the least talented roster in a long time. Not sure how it’s gonna be cobbled together at this point. It’s one thing if they need 3-4 guys. Another thing when you need 10.
By the end of the year, whoever is on our team will be playing together as a family and will 100% be one of the best ten teams in America with a chance to win a national championship! I’m as excited as I’ve been in a long time about Kentucky Basketball and great things are happening this very moment. We’ll end up with some great players who’ll run through a block building for Mark and ask to run though another if he wants. They’ll play their butts off every single possession and will give everything they have in them the entire game. I don’t know about anyone else but that makes me happy to think about. A real Kentucky Basketball program again = Happiness!!! Have faith and ask people who were around in the 90s and before. Thanks.

Reactions: Texcat59
"It's actually incredibly creative in a super-dorky way."

Attack space by forcing rotations out of the post, then came pick and roll, then last decade was catch on the move, now putting two or three players in inverted formation reading each other. The game away from the ball has become so incredible. .....it's an exhilarating way to play.

You think about all the thankless jobs in basketball. One of them is being an elite cutter. Great Cutters get paid.

heavy heavy cutting, big part of our offense. We love when teams switch off it.
“Violent Cuts” are back on the menu, boys

• Haha
Reactions: BlueSince92

Attack space by forcing rotations out of the post, then came pick and roll, then last decade was catch on the move, now putting two or three players in inverted formation reading each other. The game away from the ball has become so incredible. .....it's an exhilarating way to play.

You think about all the thankless jobs in basketball. One of them is being an elite cutter. Great Cutters get paid.

I kinda prefer running a weave 25 feet from the basket. 😉

• Haha
Offense heavy on cutting. Loves when teams switch and be can burn them.
Did anyone ask if the energy used on the offensive end affected the energy available on the defensive end ?? Hopefully, the energy is the same on both ends …

Man, how can you listen to that and not get excited. Any doubts that this guy doesn’t know what he’s doing should be out the window.

I think the part where he said his phone has been blowing up by players interested in playing here should be a bit of a relief to most of our impatience. I imagine he’s just being highly selective right now and wants the rest of his staff on board to be in unison on some of these guys. He’s not going to struggle to fill a roster.

630 am station on the I heart radio app.

This is the same station as the Tom Leach Show
KSR
many pre and post game stuff come on this channel also

I actually loved the part where he talked about the communication drill

giving players 30 seconds to tell what needs to be done, then watching tape afterwards to help them learn to better describe it.

that is making everyone a floor leader, its like teaching QBs to shorten their read after the snap.

no idea if other coaches do it or its common but its brilliant, IMO.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
Where’s my hasenpfeffer?!
fark_LvX3neKTdjHaGb6i8KLKE3mxKPA.png

Looks like we have a coach that speaks a language we understand, “Bennie language”! 😂

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT