ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cal Replacements

Are there any guys out there that have a Kentucky connection that would be worth talking to?
If you're looking at it from the Kentucky connections standpoint, only Mark Pope at BYU and he doesn't have a resume yet worth being the next head coach. Travis Ford is not doing so hot with Saint Louis. People have floated Frank Vogel's name around but I think a career-NBA coach like him is too much of a risk without anything proven in the NCAA to take over a blueblood like Kentucky.

He won a title at D2 southern indiana. Then he spent 4 seasons at UW-Milwaukee and then went to Tennessee.

But how much did those 4 seasons at Milwaukee really matter? If he hadn’t did that first would he not have succeeded at Tennessee?
He learned what it's like to coach at the Division 1 level at UW-Milwaukee.

Never was sold on Oats. How he handled that fiasco with Miller left a sour taste for me, I'll take a pass.
Forget Donovan, he turned us down twice, he doesn't get a third try.
Whomever is the next coach at UK has to be hungry, puts the program first, recognizes the importance of tradition and embraces the fans but most of all eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. I want a coach that recruits players to fit his style of play, not the highest ranked 5 star that can't play in your scheme.
The list would probably be short. One that stands out and would be a bridge for the short term is Pearl but most don't want him. Smart is a good coach but he shouldn't have taken the Texas job when he did. Timing was wrong for that move.
Vogel would be an interesting hire and I like Golden from Florida as well.
I like Pope but not sure he could handle this job. He may be more inclined to stay at BYU.
Hurley isn't leaving UConn and why should he currently ?
At the end of the day, finding a coach would be no problem but Letting Barnfart handle the hire would be a mistake.
Excellent post. And I strongly agree about Barnhart. In order for us to get a decent coach, he needs to be GONE, ASAP!!

960x0.jpg

He has taken a terrible Mcneese State and they are 24-3 with a win over LSU. This guy is gonna get a big job again and it’s gonna be soon. Wins everywhere he goes.

24-3 thats a strong ass record

I’ve been saying for the last few years that people need to be careful what they wish for.

Cal needs his chair lit up quite often but there’s not one realistic candidate who is historically or recent consistently better.

Stevens, Donavan, Self, Wright.. none of those guys are changing their current situations.

Hurley is the only realistic guy who’d I’d say to for sure call. He seems like a north eastern guy so he may not be interested either.
"Northeastern" guys wouldn't like it here?

Where do you think Pitino and Calipari come from?

• Haha
Reactions: Cats192
I’ve been saying for the last few years that people need to be careful what they wish for.

Cal needs his chair lit up quite often but there’s not one realistic candidate who is historically or recent consistently better.

Stevens, Donavan, Self, Wright.. none of those guys are changing their current situations.

Hurley is the only realistic guy who’d I’d say to for sure call. He seems like a north eastern guy so he may not be interested either.

Unless Cal gets his shit together, there are a bunch of better and realistic options. It wouldn't be hard to find someone to come in here and do better than what we've done in the SEC regular season, SEC tournament, and the NCAA tournament over the last 4 years. That's all I'm saying. The list of elite coaches that would come here, you could probably count on 1 or 2 fingers. The pickens are slim. But I'm saying, it wouldn't be hard to find someone to do better than Cal of recent. The best case scenario for all parties, is just that Cal figures the shit out.

In the last 4 years, John Calipari has 44 losses--with a minimum of 8 losses per season.
In the last 3 NCAA Tournaments, Calipari has 1 tournament win.
Calipari's last Final 4 was 2015. His last Championship was 2012.

I think a lot of coaches can do what Caliipari has done the last 4 seasons.

In the last 4 years, Scott Drew has 27 losses.
In the last 3 NCAA tournaments, Scott Drew has 8 tournament wins.
Drew's last final 4 and last championship were in 2021.

Scott Drew is ready.

So now we just need him to start beating the coaches we don’t have as his replacement lol
Duh, we are the "Gold Standard" of college basketball and tied for 5th in the conference...won 1 NCAAT game since 2018...won 2 SECT games since 2019 and debating whether the $10 million /year coach should be replaced in stupid. No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig you can't make it look like a beauty queen.

Wade is a good coach but man…he’s about as dirty as it gets. Even with paying players legal now you still can’t trust that he wouldn’t find a way to get in trouble.

That and if you’re one of those that think Cal tends to be smug at times, you’d really hate Wade.

Some high major is going to give him another shot though i’m sure. Only a matter of time.

Reactions: Zissou87
If Calipari switched spots with those 3 coaches what would the results have been? Wouldn't UK have still won?

If you're looking at it from the Kentucky connections standpoint, only Mark Pope at BYU and he doesn't have a resume yet worth being the next head coach. Travis Ford is not doing so hot with Saint Louis. People have floated Frank Vogel's name around but I think a career-NBA coach like him is too much of a risk without anything proven in the NCAA to take over a blueblood like Kentucky.
Yes-you are correct on the NBA coach theory-look at Woodson at IU or Ewing at Georgetown, Juwan Howard, etc... It never works.

there was a lot of bend the rules but don't break'em rationalization going on when Calipari was being mentioned as our next coach
Cal wasnt spotless but Wade was flat out breaking rules in half. Direct payment to players which is STILL illegal.

Last edited:
Here's what gets lost on these dudes looking for clicks, better yet they just ignore it. It's not what those coaches can do at Ole Miss, Auburn, or Alabama. It's what those coaches could do at UK. Put any of those three at UK and put Cal at any of their three current jobs, then what's the story. Honestly, Beard would/could kill it at UK. I think Pearl would too.

And don't give me the "well Cal killed it at UMass and Memphis" stuff. He absolutely did. But if you think THIS version of Cal is THAT version of Cal, you're just dead wrong. He's not. He's not that same hungry dude out to prove to the world he can win big in college and get to the pros (UMass), still coach after flopping in the NBA (Memphis), or resurrect a blue blood. He's not that same coach, he's way more content and comfortable.

Peat and repeat. we had the EXACT same thread a couple weeks ago. CAL IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. You might as well save your time and energy.
Donovan - LOL, hasn't coached college in years, said NO twice before

Wade - ? I hope the posters are not serious. has to be a joke. Well maybe not based on some posters posting track record

Brad Stevens - NOT HAPPENING. Why would he leave a front office NBA job to go back to recruiting and baby sitting young men ?

McDermott - LOL, hasn't won jack shit. EVER.

I've said multiple times I'm not excited about anyone out there

that said, Cal doesn't get this team to the final four, he needs to go.

He should be gone already

I'm not going burn couches beating Auburn and Bama when UK is out of the SEC and isn't a 1-3 seed going into the tournament
I wouldn't be ready to hire him just yet, but Gran McCasland at Texas Tech is a name I'd like to keep an eye on. Problem is, he's a Texas boy - pretty much as a player and as a coach he's always been in Texas. If Cal leaves soon and the replacement is Scott Drew, McCasland probably gets the Baylor job if he wants it. Anyhow, McCasland is an "up and comer" to watch (47 years old)

I'd turn in my fan card if they ever hired him or Pearl. Luckily, we aren't that slimy. PS, I know you're just joking and using his favorite line.
You know that when Cal was hired here, he was known as the slime ball of all slime balls. He had WWW doing know dirty work. Id say Pearl and Wade have done no worse than Cal. It’s amazing how a fan base can turn a blind eye when the shady coach becomes your shady coach. We all were justifiers of Cal. Y saying Sandy Bell will never let him get out of line again.

Reactions: blubo
Personally, I'd be all in on Dan Hurley. Love his philosophy and attitude. He would rock it here at UK. But yes, we need a new AD because I'm pretty certain he'd screw it all up. Get Dan Hurley, I'd love to see what he can do here.

Peat and repeat. we had the EXACT same thread a couple weeks ago. CAL IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. You might as well save your time and energy.
Donovan - LOL, hasn't coached college in years, said NO twice before

Wade - ? I hope the posters are not serious. has to be a joke. Well maybe not based on some posters posting track record

Brad Stevens - NOT HAPPENING. Why would he leave a front office NBA job to go back to recruiting and baby sitting young men ?

McDermott - LOL, hasn't won jack shit. EVER.
I started the Wade post and I don’t understand what you mean about track record. I haven’t said crap ever controversial. The reason I posted Wade is because Josh Carrier, Ravi Moss and Chuck Hayes whom I’m friends with were talking about him at a card game of ours and how he is the best X and O coach that has been in the SEC in years. This is all fun, not need to be an ass.

You know that when Cal was hired here, he was known as the slime ball of all slime balls. He had WWW doing know dirty work. Id say Pearl and Wade have done no worse than Cal. It’s amazing how a fan base can turn a blind eye when the shady coach becomes your shady coach. We all were justifiers of Cal. Y saying Sandy Bell will never let him get out of line again.
You can have Wade and Pearl. Neither will EVER be in a shortlist here, but get it out of your system. Take all the shots at Cal that you want to.

You can have Wade and Pearl. Neither will EVER be in a shortlist here, but get it out of your system. Take all the shots at Cal that you want to.

I don’t want either, but it’s just a valid as people asking UK to hire a coach that is well in their 60s that might not have a ton of gas left in the tank. i also don’t call out other posters to make myself seem cool. If I could pick I would take a coach in their 30s to early 40s that actually has a little hunger and puts UK first. The furthest thing from Cal. But keep pumping, the past seven years have been a blast.

I started the Wade post and I don’t understand what you mean about track record. I haven’t said crap ever controversial. The reason I posted Wade is because Josh Carrier, Ravi Moss and Chuck Hayes whom I’m friends with were talking about him at a card game of ours and how he is the best X and O coach that has been in the SEC in years. This is all fun, not need to be an ass.
You did not start the thread, one with the exact same title as a couple weeks ago was what I was referring to with the peat / repeat dig. And I wasn't calling YOU out, several posters has mentioned Wade's name. I was calling out the idea that Wade should even be considered a coach by ANYONE that is a UK fan if they are being serious. BUT while we are debating it, how would Chuck Hayes (played several years ago), Josh Carrier (never missed in practice), and Ravi Moss (love Ravi, Hoptown boy), know how good of an X and O's coach Wade is ? Did they ever play for him ? Play against him when he was at LSU ? It is cool you have a card game with former Cats, but I do not think they would really have a clue how good Wade is. I do know he was good with bringing STRONG ASS OFFERS though.

I don’t want either, but it’s just a valid as people asking UK to hire a coach that is well in their 60s that might not have a ton of gas left in the tank. i also don’t call out other posters to make myself seem cool. If I could pick I would take a coach in their 30s to early 40s that actually has a little hunger and puts UK first. The furthest thing from Cal. But keep pumping, the past seven years have been a blast.

What are you talking about? i've said numerous times that it's time for him to go.

PS, I don't call other posters "pumpers" to make myself seem cool. Maybe practice what you preach. Best of luck with the rest of your life.

You did not start the thread, one with the exact same title as a couple weeks ago was what I was referring to with the peat / repeat dig. And I wasn't calling YOU out, several posters has mentioned Wade's name. I was calling out the idea that Wade should even be considered a coach by ANYONE that is a UK fan if they are being serious. BUT while we are debating it, how would Chuck Hayes (played several years ago), Josh Carrier (never missed in practice), and Ravi Moss (love Ravi, Hoptown boy), know how good of an X and O's coach Wade is ? Did they ever play for him ? Play against him when he was at LSU ? It is cool you have a card game with former Cats, but I do not think they would really have a clue how good Wade is. I do know he was good with bringing STRONG ASS OFFERS though.
I’ll take the opinion of the director of operations for the warriors, and two former D1 basketball players that literally go to or watch every game. Plus Josh spent several years as an assistant coach at NKU. I’ll take their opinion over yours but thanks. You can tell X and O competency obviously by what a team runs and how they prepare for their opponent. Anyone can tell Cal rarely even cares enough to watch film. This is know knowledge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT