ADVERTISEMENT

Clay Travis with bad news for UK fans on Calipari

Well idk about the lifetime contract. That’s a fallacy. He can be bought out for a negotiated sum especially if he plans to keep coaching elsewhere. The thing about all this is those who signed off on that contract UK loses nothing dealing with them immediately. Meaning the AD and president. Fire the man first worry about the money later. They can keep giving him the 9 million a year until the buyout is paid. Whatever.
Thats not how buyouts work. If he gets fired and immediately takes a new job the buyout is usually ended right there bc its paid over time

Well idk about the lifetime contract. That’s a fallacy. He can be bought out for a negotiated sum especially if he plans to keep coaching elsewhere. The thing about all this is those who signed off on that contract UK loses nothing dealing with them immediately. Meaning the AD and president. Fire the man first worry about the money later. They can keep giving him the 9 million a year until the buyout is paid. Whatever.
Is Kentucky still a premier program that we could get someone better?

Clay just wants us to keep Calipari. We can afford to buy him out. Our haters want him to stay around and it’s obvious. Look how many trolls pretend to like Cal on here that are fans of other programs
LOL! You might be right about the BBN haters wanting us to keep Cal. It reminds me of all of the UGA-trolling "Gators for Goff...Keep Ray Goff" bumper stickers I used to see when I was stationed in Mayport, FL in the early '90s.

Savage...

GBB!

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
Damn, I’m watching the NFL Chanel so I don’t have to hear about our dumpster fire and guess what, I-hear “ calipari”, then a photo of the dude that torched us, then Devin McCorty starts talking about it and us. So we are a laughing stock. I’m afraid to watch “ridiculousness” because I expect to see us burning there.
To think as I retired the wife and I were talking about traveling to the sec tourney and ncaa tourney locations every year. And now that’s a “Hell NO”

Reactions: PittPoker
  1. It's not a lifetime contract. It's a ten year coaching contract.
  2. People are really getting their hopes of for Cal moving on. He's not going anywhere unless he chooses to. And I don't think he's choosing that.

The thing is, legacy will start to matter. It's not like Cal doesn't have enough money now, nor couldn't find work elsewhere making a few million.

This is setting up to be one of the messiness divorces in.. all of sports? Over the last 20 years? Certainly between a high profile coach and premier program.

Is cal REALLY going to sit there and take money while he gets crucified night after night, hated by fans who want to run him out of town? Idk, I think there comes a point where his dignity takes over and he steps away. Because money can't buy a legacy or an image.. and his is just about shot. Can't see him sticking around and watching this divorce get worse and worse

1. It's not a lifetime contract. It's a ten year coaching contract.
  2. People are really getting their hopes of for Cal moving on. He's not going anywhere unless he chooses to. And I don't think he's choosing that.
You're a clown.

No one wants to read your drivel right now, man.

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
Hey Clay, I know you're reading this thread! F you you rat face b@stard!

Good news that gives me hope is Vandy came top with 25 Mil to Can CrackHouse , surely there's enough to get to 30-35 mil to get a reduced buyout of this Italian leech thats stuck on our collective bodies ? The money will get figured out .. will the little prick take it ? He enjoys watching Ky burn while his players succeed and make big money . Such irony in the way the democrats are burning America to the ground while telling the country everything is great . . Same with Ky , both are stuck with losers . I pray we have the guts to get rid of both the leaders of stated institutions .

Calapri not going to leave, his ego is to big. He will bring in bunch good recruits , then the hype will start all over again, the fan base will get drunk on the hype, then we will lose early in tournament everyone will be wanting to fire him lol

People are way too hung up on this contract.

It can be paid out over time.

Christ, this is what lawyers and accountants are for. Figure it the f8ck out.

You pay it out over a decade and or roll some over into his retirement package that is a big part of the contract. Cal was always going to get paid to not coach at some point because part of the "lifetime" deal was once he retired, he was going to still be some sort of ambassador/coach emeritus.

People are also assuming that there isn't some wiggle room for UK to at least knock the price down a bit for dereliction of duty.

I’m suprised at how many people don’t know how this works. Calipari cannot stay as the head coach at UK under this kind of pressure. It’s not happening and it’s not even possible. Even a guy like Calipari cannot deal with that, and his ego certainly can’t.
On that we agree.
Cal has now lost ME.
And I have been Cal's most Loyal fan

Hopefully Clay needs to be reminded UT paid 8 million to buy off NCAA for cheating to fire a coach. Then got caught cheating again so they sued NCAA. I am sure football selection committee will like that. Football team has one fluke title and basketball teams have never sniff a final 4. UT has more hoopla over nothing than any major program in America.

Cal is here primarily to add more players to his list of players he coached and went to the NBA. March is secondary to that. I don't think he's leaving. Too stubborn.

Why was this thread even started? This guy, whoever he is knows no more than the rest of us. Geez.

This is simply not true. Kentucky can easily settle or buy him out

I’m suprised at how many people don’t know how this works. Calipari cannot stay as the head coach at UK under this kind of pressure. It’s not happening and it’s not even possible. Even a guy like Calipari cannot deal with that, and his ego certainly can’t.

I think this is it, but even if it’s not, he has one more year and he’s toast. There’s no way around that. I highly doubt anyone let alone a guy with an ego like Calipari could deal with that kind of pressure for two more years.

Some People don’t understand how wealthy these universities are and how connected they are to wealth, and they don’t understand what kind of pressure it would take to sustain this kind of situation (especially given how wealthy Calipari already is. You think he’s going to hang on in this type of pressure cooker and watch his legacy burn to the ground just to make another 10-15 million? LMAO

I think Calipari is going to have to settle this summer or very soon.
I hope you’re correct, but to me, Cal’s ego won’t let him leave on a losing note. He’s lost his way as a coach, and I wish all the negative talk would drive him out of Lexington. But, I think we’re stuck with his sorry ass and inept coaching for a few more years. Thanks Mitch!

The NBA isn't going to rescue UK by taking Cal away. So it has to be college.

What about a coaching swap? And I am actually serious. Cronin would love to come back home to this area and Cal would relish the allure of UCLA in the B10. And wouldn't taking Cronin from the top of UL's wish list be sweet?

And of course Michigan has money, and a tradition that needs rebuilding that could offer Cal a public excuse for leaving.

The thing is, legacy will start to matter. It's not like Cal doesn't have enough money now, nor couldn't find work elsewhere making a few million.

This is setting up to be one of the messiness divorces in.. all of sports? Over the last 20 years? Certainly between a high profile coach and premier program.

Is cal REALLY going to sit there and take money while he gets crucified night after night, hated by fans who want to run him out of town? Idk, I think there comes a point where his dignity takes over and he steps away. Because money can't buy a legacy or an image.. and his is just about shot. Can't see him sticking around and watching this divorce get worse and worse
The problem is this is exactly what he already been doing. I’ve wondered for two years if and when he accepts the facts and tries to salvage some semblance of a positive legacy. It’s too late now.

I think this is it, but even if it’s not, he has one more year and he’s toast. There’s no way around that. I highly doubt anyone let alone a guy with an ego like Calipari could deal with that kind of pressure for two more years.

Some People don’t understand how wealthy these universities are and how connected they are to wealth, and they don’t understand what kind of pressure it would take to sustain this kind of situation (especially given how wealthy Calipari already is. You think he’s going to hang on in this type of pressure cooker and watch his legacy burn to the ground just to make another 10-15 million? LMAO

I disagree. A man who makes it through a 9 win season and then spends the next few years still chastising the fans absolutely can handle the situation because he is winning in his kind as long as the players are successful in their careers.

You don’t trot out a team with one guy capable of making a 3 pointer for the majority of the game when everyone in the world knows the other team is playing zone 40 minutes if you care about the “pressure”

He himself even said this week that this was a good year and after a few weeks the cal cult fan base will be here to tell us that a 3 seed is a good year.

I hope you are right though.

Cal should have listened to Joe B. when he told him this was a 10 year job. Cal could have walked away 5 years ago and wouldn’t have tarnished his legacy and could have taken a roll as an administrator and had it made. Bet he regrets not listening.
doubt he has many regrets with all the “money for nothun” rolling in

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
Tennessee is the biggest joke in college sports aside from Louisville. Absolute cheating scumbags who can’t even keep up with Florida and get raped by the great programs in both sports majority of the time. Travis might want to look at his own house, because Tennessee is the running joke of the entire nation in college sports. Their fan base is also seen as the most backward lunatic retards in the country. Poll any SEC Fanbase, Tennessee is hated by all and it’s not because they win.

Lmao. This is some serious lunatic ranting. We’re better than UK in all 3 major men’s sports. Our AD as whole is one of the best in the country and couldn’t be healthier.

Meanwhile you over pay for a Buffon football coach and a basketball coach that takes the most talented team in the country to tournament each year….and loses to nobodies. Congrats on your NBA factory I guess?

• Haha
We are stuck in neutral until he leaves. The buyout would be worth it. And if the next coach is failing at least we tried and it couldnt be much worse than Cal. We have to move on asap.

1. Calipari is about to experience pressure like he’s never had it. This isn’t Memphis and this isn’t the nets and it certainly isn’t Umass.

2. Calipari is already wildly rich.

3. 1 and 2 will result in some type of negotiation and if he wants to coach somewhere else then he’s probably already back-channeling and coming up with his number.

I don’t know why people don’t seem to get it.
I will get it when his greedy butt is out of the State of KY.

It has to be soon, or there won't be any coaches available. With this noise around him, I expect to see a LOT of news about top coaches that could be called getting renewed contracts with their current schools.

It's going to be hard if we wait until summer and then go shopping.

The bottom line is that Kentucky can pay the $$$ to Cal any time they want to. Yes, they DO have that kind of $$$. Mitch and Cal don't like each other and only speak when very necessary. So it's obviously others who have to sign off on it. The President really only cares about academics and the fact that the sports teams at UK really don't have any scandals. The majority of donations in total to the University is not sports related...it's academics.

Yes, we all on here adore basketball and other sports at UK. The majority don't care. Until someone is made to "see the light", I'm afraid he might stay. We have to make a lot of noise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT