ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati radio show comments

You are exactly correct!!! It was 1970. Half season at Crosley and half at Riverfront. 1970 against Orioles and Brooks Robinson was a wall at 3rd. Sorry, I'm getting old and memories fade.

I pull for UC when they play UL. UC is a lot like UL. They pizzed and moaned for a game
with us and Joe Hall scheduled them pre-shot clock era and all they did was hold the ball.
UK won something like 22-13 and Hall was furious. All of their clamoring for a game and
they pulled that shiz. Hall said he'd never play them again.

Yeah all those 'Classy' Reds fans who booed Cal throwing out the 1st pitch at a game after winning the NC in 2012, and complained on talk shows about him being there to do so.
That is why I am thankful to be a St. Louis Cardinals fan for some 45 plus years, also the disgusting BRAWL between Cincy and Xavier a couple of years ago.......Real classy bunch there in Cincinnati !

I live in Cinci - The area is so sports diverse, if you think they are constantly butthurt like Louisville, then you're not getting out much.

I run into more Ohio St fans - who UK is in such a different world than them we aren't even on their radar - and there is a ton of UK fans in this city. In the burbs at least I see as much UK stuff as I do UC. I wouldn't even know Xavier is here other than an occasional shirt outside the crosstown shootout.

Heck, UK used to play a game here to support the Cinci and Northern KY fans until recently.

Originally posted by Deacon Jim:

Originally posted by .S&C.:
Lol baron I hear ya. We seem to have found a problem here haha.

I'll give the Reds one thing. They aint the Cubs.

As for wildcats#8, we might have went a little while without a ring, but World Series are probably the single hardest thing to win. St. louis has 11 World Series rings and a fan base that is second to none. We had national league champions and division titles in that drought anyway. You don't F with Cardinal nation. Much like BBN. Aside from the Yankees buying their success, St. Louis does it with class, and inside the game. We use the process and are the best at it. Players will tell you it's a special thing playing baseball in St. Louis. Cincinatti and St. Louis are not in the same hemisphere its kind of like comparing the wildcats Vs. The Bearcats.

Brandon Phillips has seen what happens when you challenge the cards. :):);)

Stan Musial, Gibson, Brock, molina, the wizard, etc.........

It doesn't get any better, especially in the national league.
Rose, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Big Klu, Larkin...... Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with some of your comments. There is nothing more special than opening day in Cincinnati. Besides I think Walt Jocketty is still employed by the Cardinals!!! He hasn`t made a good move since he came over.
There is a lot better. St. Louis, Boston, New York Yankees, San Francisco Giants, etc.

Originally posted by .S&C.:
Eh......cincinatti teams.

College - garbage
Reds -garbage
Bengals - why does anyone even care?

I always tell my dad how fortunate I was he brought me up UK college sports and St.louis pro town. I know it's close to some kentucky people, but they really should ditch the Reds and bengals and head to St. Louis for anything pro related.
And I guess we should switch to Louisville for college football? St. Louis doesn't even border Kentucky and is 200+ miles further away than Cincinnati for 75% of Kentuckians. Enjoy your bandwagoning.

There really are a lot of UK fans here in Cincinnati. Every time I go out geared up, I run into other UK fans.

That said, the mid ninety's - early 2000's sports talk radio really sucked. Little brother syndrome was rampant.

Nowadays talk radio is nothing but Bengals and Reds. I am kind of hoping we can start talking about college basketball again. But that small group of fans that will whine about any team not from the immediate area getting attention are annoying as can be.

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
Yeah all those 'Classy' Reds fans who booed Cal throwing out the 1st pitch at a game after winning the NC in 2012, and complained on talk shows about him being there to do so.
That is why I am thankful to be a St. Louis Cardinals fan for some 45 plus years, also the disgusting BRAWL between Cincy and Xavier a couple of years ago.......Real classy bunch there in Cincinnati !
How anyone that claims to be a UK fan could root for a team called the Cardinals is beyond me.

Cunningham is not a UK fan, he is a Cincinnati and Xavier fan, and why not? He is a Cincinnati boy. But he is also very well connected with the Bluegrass and in particular to a lot of notable people in and around Lexington. Like in kind our own Oscar Combs is well connected with people in and around Cincinnati and a HUGE, with all capitals, Cincinnati Reds fan. Their both good people and their styles and character makes for good sportsmanship.

I have never cared for UC but I have always pulled for Xavier as I used to live about a mile from their campus.My heart and soul will always be the Wildcats.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:
Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:

The Reds won back to back titles in the mid 70s, and won one in 91 as well. A lot of people on this board are old timers who were around for the former and many for the latter. I'm a Cardinals fan, but let's not act like the Reds have never done anything before. The Cardinals went 24 years without winning a WS themselves from 82 to 2006...so the Reds current slide matches that in seasons/years. It is a lot tougher to win titles nowadays with parity, although the stupid Giants seem to have their win one every even year going on.

The Bengals went to a couple of Super Bowls in the 80s, could have won either...went up against a guy named Montana in both. Before the drive in Denver, there was the drive in the Super Bowl when the 49ers beat the Bengals 20-16 on a last minutes drive.

I'm a Cardinals and Titans fan...so one of my pros team is a great franchise, while the other has went from a pretty good one for its budget in the first decade it was in Nashville to an unmitigated disaster the past 6 seasons. The Nashville Predators have come on strong in the last decade, but not many people care about hockey, but it is gaining due to the Titans' futility.
It was 1990 that the Reds won their last champtionship.
Oops, my bad. It was the Twins in 1991. Sorry Reds fans.
But you were close - Reds won in 1990...I had tickets in the "Blue Seats" behind 1st base dugout in Riverfront for game 5...Damn Reds swept the A's in four games.

BTW - there are MANY UK basketball fans in Cincy...my son and recent graduate and former baseball player at X is one of them..

Your full of crap. I was there , The cheers was at least 10- 1 over the boos. The only boos were probably coming from jealous U.C. fans. All 15 of them. Or maybe some buckeye fans who remember the fastball that Josh beaned Sullinger with.

Originally posted by Deacon Jim:

Your full of crap. I was there , The cheers was at least 10- 1 over the boos. The only boos were probably coming from jealous U.C. fans. All 15 of them. Or maybe some buckeye fans who remember the fastball that Josh beaned Sullinger with.
Yeah, really. It was very few. Of course, someone blows it out of proportion and somehow blames it on the entire city.

And there sure has been a lot of class in the St Louis area recently. You should really be proud of it!

Big Klu,Gus Bell then Vada Pinson and Robinson. Paying $5 to some kid near the train station so your car would be there when you came back. Fabulous dogs and brats in that cozy old stadium. Shows how old I am?

Originally posted by R2guy:
Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:

The Reds won back to back titles in the mid 70s, and won one in 91 as well. A lot of people on this board are old timers who were around for the former and many for the latter. I'm a Cardinals fan, but let's not act like the Reds have never done anything before. The Cardinals went 24 years without winning a WS themselves from 82 to 2006...so the Reds current slide matches that in seasons/years. It is a lot tougher to win titles nowadays with parity, although the stupid Giants seem to have their win one every even year going on.

The Bengals went to a couple of Super Bowls in the 80s, could have won either...went up against a guy named Montana in both. Before the drive in Denver, there was the drive in the Super Bowl when the 49ers beat the Bengals 20-16 on a last minutes drive.

I'm a Cardinals and Titans fan...so one of my pros team is a great franchise, while the other has went from a pretty good one for its budget in the first decade it was in Nashville to an unmitigated disaster the past 6 seasons. The Nashville Predators have come on strong in the last decade, but not many people care about hockey, but it is gaining due to the Titans' futility.
It was 1990 that the Reds won their last champtionship.
Oops, my bad. It was the Twins in 1991. Sorry Reds fans.
But you were close - Reds won in 1990...I had tickets in the "Blue Seats" behind 1st base dugout in Riverfront for game 5...Damn Reds swept the A's in four games.

BTW - there are MANY UK basketball fans in Cincy...my son and recent graduate and former baseball player at X is one of them..
Yeah, I'm usually pretty good about remembering championship teams in college and pro sports, at least going back to the early 80s in each. I am fairly young, so all of the 80s ones were well before my time as far as watching them live and comprehending them lol.

St Louis is a horrible pro sports town. Can't hold down an NFL franchise. Cards are gone and now the Rams are following. 5th or 6th largest city, yet no NBA franchise. Apparently there's a hockey team there that hasn't done anything in decades.

It's the Cardinals. That's it. That's all St Louis has going for it. And collegiate allegiances are mostly Mizzou with some Illinois. More mediocrity. Hurrah!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT