ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati radio show comments

capnmonkey

Freshman
Feb 6, 2010
Listening to 700 WLW in Cincinnati, and Bill Cunningham's show just started. He was complaining about Cincinnati sports teams relentless pursuit of mediocrity, while surrounded by programs like UK, UL, OSU, Colts, baseball Cardinals, etc.

He said "Kentucky Basketball may never lose another basketball game again," obviously jokingly, but it still made me laugh because the city of Cincinnati is filled with such bitter hatred of all things UK basketball
laugh.r191677.gif

One of the most annoying things about going to high school in the Cincinnati area was the obnoxious UC fans who would try to create some sort of rivalry with UK.

Bill Cunningham loves Kentucky basketball. Or at least he pretends he does on the air. Tough to tell which parts of his show are what he really believes and which parts are for entertainment only.

Originally posted by FiveStarCat:
Bill Cunningham loves Kentucky basketball. Or at least he pretends he does on the air. Tough to tell which parts of his show are what he really believes and which parts are for entertainment only.
Yeah, I've never heard him say anything bad other than poking fun at how crazy UK fans are. But yes, very difficult to tell what his "real" thoughts are and what is part of his show.

Another Cincy area radio guy, Mo Egger, used to talk about UK basketball pretty regularly, and said that the radio station gets flooded with emails of people calling for him to be fired any time he is complementary to UK.

Originally posted by capnmonkey:
Listening to 700 WLW in Cincinnati, and Bill Cunningham's show just started. He was complaining about Cincinnati sports teams relentless pursuit of mediocrity, while surrounded by programs like UK, UL, OSU, Colts, baseball Cardinals, etc.

He said "Kentucky Basketball may never lose another basketball game again," obviously jokingly, but it still made me laugh because the city of Cincinnati is filled with such bitter hatred of all things UK basketball
laugh.r191677.gif
The city is a small island of sports mediocrity.

Bill Cunningham is bandwagon guy. He has at times been supporter and enemy of UK basketball over the years. In late 80's during Xavier emergence under Pete Gillen he led the charge for WLW to drop UK games for Xavier games.

While I would not label them as national power, I believe UC football has been pretty dang decent the last six or seven years now, haven't they? I think they have gone to bowl games for the last seven years or so with a decent record in them.

Originally posted by Wally2000:
Bill Cunningham is bandwagon guy. He has at times been supporter and enemy of UK basketball over the years. In late 80's during Xavier emergence under Pete Gillen he led the charge for WLW to drop UK games for Xavier games.
laugh.r191677.gif
Sounds like something he would do. He is highly entertaining but like I said, it's tough to tell when he is being serious or not at time, if at all.

He did graduate from Xavier IIRC.

Originally posted by azubuikefan:
One of the most annoying things about going to high school in the Cincinnati area was the obnoxious UC fans who would try to create some sort of rivalry with UK.
I feel your pain, NKY was just as bad with UC fans who would tout record as why they were better. (these were the 98-06 years with huggins in CUSA). the only time i have bet on a game was the second round UC UK game with a UC fan, won 50 biggins.

Originally posted by nkuCATfan:

I feel your pain, NKY was just as bad with UC fans who would tout record as why they were better. (these were the 98-06 years with huggins in CUSA). the only time i have bet on a game was the second round UC UK game with a UC fan, won 50 biggins.
You won $50,000?

Damn!

Originally posted by FiveStarCat:
He probably panders to his listeners that root for Kentucky basketball. There is obviously a large contingency of Kentucky fans in northern Kentucky and south western ohio. Or at least that's what I'll tell myself since I am a big reds/Bengals fan.

Eh......cincinatti teams.

College - garbage
Reds -garbage
Bengals - why does anyone even care?

I always tell my dad how fortunate I was he brought me up UK college sports and St.louis pro town. I know it's close to some kentucky people, but they really should ditch the Reds and bengals and head to St. Louis for anything pro related.

Originally posted by nkuCATfan:

I agree the Huggins era was bad in NKY. Bandwagon UC "fans" everywhere during my high school years.

After the 96 title when the national title trophy was being taken around the state, Willie stated on his show that he wanted UC fans to come to his restaurant "to see what a national championship trophy looks like"

Cincinnati fan rhetoric toned down when 1.) UK beat UC in the 2005 NCAAs, and 2.) Huggins was fired. Late 90s/early 00s, it was tough listening to local sports talk radio if you were a UK fan.

Originally posted by .S&C.:
Eh......cincinatti teams.

College - garbage
Reds -garbage
Bengals - why does anyone even care?

I always tell my dad how fortunate I was he brought me up UK college sports and St.louis pro town. I know it's close to some kentucky people, but they really should ditch the Reds and bengals and head to St. Louis for anything pro related.
Awww, man, don't go there, at least not with the Reds. I'm a lifelong Reds fan. Now the Bungles and UC are a different story by a long shot, but just don't hate on my Reds. The ghost of Riverfront will come get you!

The Reds won back to back titles in the mid 70s, and won one in 91 as well. A lot of people on this board are old timers who were around for the former and many for the latter. I'm a Cardinals fan, but let's not act like the Reds have never done anything before. The Cardinals went 24 years without winning a WS themselves from 82 to 2006...so the Reds current slide matches that in seasons/years. It is a lot tougher to win titles nowadays with parity, although the stupid Giants seem to have their win one every even year going on.

The Bengals went to a couple of Super Bowls in the 80s, could have won either...went up against a guy named Montana in both. Before the drive in Denver, there was the drive in the Super Bowl when the 49ers beat the Bengals 20-16 on a last minutes drive.

I'm a Cardinals and Titans fan...so one of my pros team is a great franchise, while the other has went from a pretty good one for its budget in the first decade it was in Nashville to an unmitigated disaster the past 6 seasons. The Nashville Predators have come on strong in the last decade, but not many people care about hockey, but it is gaining due to the Titans' futility.

Cincinnati fans are the worst. Most the local UC fans adopt Ohio State as their football team. How pathetic. All I'm hearing is the SEC sux.{in football} Can't wait until the SEC gets their revenge. They all hate UK. They are just jealous of our success. The only Cincy teams I like and respect are the Reds and Xavier.

UC fans were annoying in the 90s, but not anymore. They know their place now. Cincinnati is as much a UK town as anything. I work downtown and go out in Cincinnati every weekend, you see more UK blue than UC/Xavier stuff. I don't even mind Cincinnati any more. I even root for them every now and again as I have some buddies who are huge fans.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:
The Reds won back to back titles in the mid 70s, and won one in 91 as well. A lot of people on this board are old timers who were around for the former and many for the latter. I'm a Cardinals fan, but let's not act like the Reds have never done anything before. The Cardinals went 24 years without winning a WS themselves from 82 to 2006...so the Reds current slide matches that in seasons/years. It is a lot tougher to win titles nowadays with parity, although the stupid Giants seem to have their win one every even year going on.

The Bengals went to a couple of Super Bowls in the 80s, could have won either...went up against a guy named Montana in both. Before the drive in Denver, there was the drive in the Super Bowl when the 49ers beat the Bengals 20-16 on a last minutes drive.

I'm a Cardinals and Titans fan...so one of my pros team is a great franchise, while the other has went from a pretty good one for its budget in the first decade it was in Nashville to an unmitigated disaster the past 6 seasons. The Nashville Predators have come on strong in the last decade, but not many people care about hockey, but it is gaining due to the Titans' futility.
It was 1990 that the Reds won their last champtionship.

Yeah, I live and work in Cincinnati and never hear a peep from UC or XU fans. Or it's pretty rare. Maybe it's the people I'm around, but I think Cincinnati has good fans overall - I'm sure there are some bad ones, but I rarely encounter them.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

It was 1990 that the Reds won their last champtionship.
Oops, my bad. It was the Twins in 1991. Sorry Reds fans.

Cincy is a good town. Plenty of UK fans all around. Did UC fans chirp at times back in the day? You bet, but for every chirp there was a growl of a Wildcat to drown it out.

Someone mentioned it above, but when UC was good, it was a different story, especially in the Hugs era. The UC vs. UK NCAA game in Indy in 2005 was an incredible atmosphere.

Originally posted by Vandalayindustries:
Someone mentioned it above, but when UC was good, it was a different story, especially in the Hugs era. The UC vs. UK NCAA game in Indy in 2005 was an incredible atmosphere.
Awesome game. I was lucky enough to get tickets. That was the worst I've ever seen UC fans. However, they have been virtually silent since.

Yep, definitely the worst since I've been around.

In the game prior to UK-UC, Illinois, the #1 seed, played. A lot of their fans stayed for the UK game and cheered for UC as well. Didn't help though.

I've been working in downtown Cincy since 92'. Believe it or not, back then (until the end of the Huggins era), they were almost as bad as Loserville fans.

UK was 'ducking' UC....was 'scared to play UC'....would get 'beat down by UC'....just a few examples of the nonsense I would hear on a daily basis.

....amazing how all that came to a screeching halt when Rondo owned them in the 2005 NCAA tourney game. They've pretty much had to accept their current 'place' in college basketball....I enjoy their silence.

In the game prior to UK-UC, Illinois, the #1 seed, played. A lot of their fans stayed for the UK game and cheered for UC as well. Didn't help though.
It sure was bad that day. Hell, man, you and I may have been seated next to each other for all we know. I'm not a perfect guy by any means, and I can come off as an ass sometimes. For that, I am sorry. Hope you have a good New Year, and let's all look forward to #9.

Go Big Blue!

The Huggins era was definitely the worse but not so bad since. I think at least the people that I'm around is mostly UK and Xavier fans. X fans aren't as delusional as UC fans use to be.

Originally posted by BluegrassBaron:

It sure was bad that day. Hell, man, you and I may have been seated next to each other for all we know. I'm not a perfect guy by any means, and I can come off as an ass sometimes. For that, I am sorry. Hope you have a good New Year, and let's all look forward to #9.

Go Big Blue!
Same here and I'm definitely an ass.

We got lucky and bought stubs/seats near center court about 20 rows up from some Illinois fans after their game. I remember watching UK president at the time Lee Todd had worse seats than we did.

Yeah, I moved down to Lexington since graduating in 2007. So, I don't know how UC fans act anymore. Sucks about Cronin though.

Don't talk about the Reds. Been a fan since Crosley Field. Sat 7 rows behind the Reds dugout for the opening World Series game 1971. Unfortunately, there is nor will there never be major league baseball until Pete Rose is in the hall of fame.

On something I am less proud of, I am a Bengal fan too.

In my sport fandom, I root for 4 teams. The Reds, the Bengals, UK football and of course UK Basketball.

One out of 4 ain't bad.

Originally posted by rodserling:

Don't talk about the Reds. Been a fan since Crosley Field. Sat 7 rows behind the Reds dugout for the opening World Series game 1971. Unfortunately, there is nor will there never be major league baseball until Pete Rose is in the hall of fame.

On something I am less proud of, I am a Bengal fan too.

In my sport fandom, I root for 4 teams. The Reds, the Bengals, UK football and of course UK Basketball.

One out of 4 ain't bad.
Is that when Roberto Clemente played for the Reds?

Clemente was my favorite player growing up. I was 12 when he got killed. It ripped my heart out.

Lol baron I hear ya. We seem to have found a problem here haha.

I'll give the Reds one thing. They aint the Cubs.

As for wildcats#8, we might have went a little while without a ring, but World Series are probably the single hardest thing to win. St. louis has 11 World Series rings and a fan base that is second to none. We had national league champions and division titles in that drought anyway. You don't F with Cardinal nation. Much like BBN. Aside from the Yankees buying their success, St. Louis does it with class, and inside the game. We use the process and are the best at it. Players will tell you it's a special thing playing baseball in St. Louis. Cincinatti and St. Louis are not in the same hemisphere its kind of like comparing the wildcats Vs. The Bearcats.

Brandon Phillips has seen what happens when you challenge the cards. :):);)

Stan Musial, Gibson, Brock, molina, the wizard, etc.........

It doesn't get any better, especially in the national league.

Originally posted by .S&C.:
Lol baron I hear ya. We seem to have found a problem here haha.

I'll give the Reds one thing. They aint the Cubs.

As for wildcats#8, we might have went a little while without a ring, but World Series are probably the single hardest thing to win. St. louis has 11 World Series rings and a fan base that is second to none. We had national league champions and division titles in that drought anyway. You don't F with Cardinal nation. Much like BBN. Aside from the Yankees buying their success, St. Louis does it with class, and inside the game. We use the process and are the best at it. Players will tell you it's a special thing playing baseball in St. Louis. Cincinatti and St. Louis are not in the same hemisphere its kind of like comparing the wildcats Vs. The Bearcats.

Brandon Phillips has seen what happens when you challenge the cards. :):);)

Stan Musial, Gibson, Brock, molina, the wizard, etc.........

It doesn't get any better, especially in the national league.
Rose, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Big Klu, Larkin...... Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with some of your comments. There is nothing more special than opening day in Cincinnati. Besides I think Walt Jocketty is still employed by the Cardinals!!! He hasn`t made a good move since he came over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT