ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Not much to add about the wrestling the last couple of weeks. But American Dragon HAS to be cole854's alternate ego. They are nearly identical in posting style, being opposite of what everyone thinks.

Reactions: Wesley91581
In the early 2000s, I was into collecting autographs through the mail and had sent requests to WWE for the usuals like Rock, Austin, Taker, knowing I was honestly wasting my time. A few weeks later, I received 8x10 autographs from Lilian Garcia and Linda McMahon. I'm still not sure how that worked out the way it did because it's just really random to ask for popular wrestler autographs and somehow end up with a ring announcer and the owner's wife. But I do have an autograph from a McMahon.

per reddit via Wrestlenomics:

Q1: MJF/Ospreay - 871k/364k
Q2: MJF/Ospreay - 829k/372k
Q3: MJF/Ospreay - 834k/369k
Q4: MJF/Ospreay - 834k/365k
Q5: end of MJF/Ospreay, Blood & Guts participants backstage promo, Jericho/Suzuki live promo - 841k/388k
Q6: Elite/Mone backstage promo, Mone vs. Rose - 769k/341k
Q7: Mone/Rose, Perry promo, Mariah May promo, BBG promo - 734k/337k
Q8: Swerve vs Okada - 701k/315k
7 minute overrun: 685k/305k

Currently it seems people don't really care about Swerve, Okada, The Elite, Perry, and Mone...which is awkward because they all hold titles and are front and center for the company. They also keep losing viewers with an overrun which isn't great since the end of the show should be a cliffhanger of sorts to get the viewer back the following week. If you can pop a rating, you do it though. There was no reason to have Taker and Cena show up on NXT but WWE wanted to impress CW and throw a bit of dirt in AEW's face. AEW needs a little positivity and to show they're still able to draw as they wrap up their deal. Surprised they couldn't get back to 800K+ with last night though.

7 stars incoming…

Dave Meltzer believes Will Ospreay vs. MJF "may be the best match in #AEWDynamite history" heaping praise on the finish at 59 minutes 59 seconds, and both men's ability to perform at a high tempo throughout the whole match:

"It’s amazing because I’ve seen so many times people try and pull off pins at 59:59 and I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone actually pull it off. The fact they pulled it off like that... You know they would have announced it was 59:59 had they gone three seconds long or five seconds short or whatever and all that but they actually pulled that off.

"They went 59 minutes and 59 seconds. They did a lot of stuff that was not simple, especially Ospreay but even Max did a few things. I did not see one thing that didn’t look good, everything they did. They were doing… So many things and the longer you go in a match like this when you’re doing the high-flying stuff, it increases your odds (of messing up) just out of sheer tiredness and also the ropes getting slippery and you getting sweaty and things like that.

"The execution was incredible you can’t say enough for both guys, they were fantastic."

(WOR)

Q5: end of MJF/Ospreay, Blood & Guts participants backstage promo, Jericho/Suzuki live promo - 841k/388k

Currently it seems people don't really care about Swerve, Okada, The Elite, Perry, and Mone...which is awkward because they all hold titles and are front and center for the company. They also keep losing viewers with an overrun which isn't great since the end of the show should be a cliffhanger of sorts to get the viewer back the following week. If you can pop a rating, you do it though. There was no reason to have Taker and Cena show up on NXT but WWE wanted to impress CW and throw a bit of dirt in AEW's face. AEW needs a little positivity and to show they're still able to draw as they wrap up their deal. Surprised they couldn't get back to 800K+ with last night though.
It seems like the great wrestling averages 842k so maybe MJF is their biggest ratings guy and all this ancillary comedy stuff isn’t keeping people interested.
We know the bucks and mone tank the ratings but maybe the lack of interest in swerve/Okada is because they figured there wouldn’t be a pinfall and neither title was up for grabs.

Swerve reminds me of Priest at the moment. The guy but sorta not really. On Raw, Liv, Dom, Drew, Punk, Seth, and the Wyatts currently overshadow Priest. You could maybe add Breakker at times too. With AEW, it's MJF, Will, Elite, Mone, and right now, maybe May and Storm that overshadow Swerve. It's unfortunate because I think we all like both guys but I think for Priest he's just not "there" quite yet and for Swerve it's just booking and him not being the most exciting dude around.

Everyone's just waiting for Gunther and Ospreay to take the titles in their respective companies.

Can’t stand politics and all the complete tardation it tends to bring with it, but the Hulkster is speaking in a minute at the Trump pep rally brother and I’m tuning in to watch him give a leg drop to all those Donald J haters, Jack.

Just think if Danielson was still in WWE. He'd show up at the DNC with his eco-friendly title made of wood and rocks.

daniel-bryan-hemp-championship-wwe.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: MegaBlue05
The fact that I personally witnessed the President of the United States of America take a stone cold stunner is still rather mind blowing
The fact that I personally witnessed the President of the United States of America take a stone cold stunner is still rather mind blowing
It’s been quite a week for sure - this has Vince booking written all over it.

It seems like the great wrestling averages 842k so maybe MJF is their biggest ratings guy and all this ancillary comedy stuff isn’t keeping people interested.
We know the bucks and mone tank the ratings but maybe the lack of interest in swerve/Okada is because they figured there wouldn’t be a pinfall and neither title was up for grabs.
Nah, there just wasn't any big concerts going on in the area, or major TV shows airing.

• Haha

As is widely known, the Bucks, Mone and Okada don’t move the needle in the correct direction.

I thought the opener was good, but giving away this level of match on free TV doesn’t make business sense to me, but I’m sure I am wrong somehow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT