ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

- And one more, it's booking more than anything but right now, I was wrong about Priest. He doesn't feel like a world champion and Drew needs the belt asap. You can't do weeks of Truth comedy and Judgement Day club house routines with Finn, JD, and Dom making asses out of themselves and then expect Priest to be taken seriously as a champion. Turns out, Rhea Ripley was the Judgement Day.
That’s because he’s not world champion material and never has been.

Mia Yim drafted to Smackdown…shows up on NXT today to put her name in the field for the new NXT women’s midcard belt.

Chelsea Green drafted to Smackdown…shows up on NXT today to set up an NXT title match next week.

What’s the point of the draft if the results don’t matter?

SPOILER ALERT

AOL and Time Warner killed WCW

I mean, from all accounts, Bischoff probably had a team to purchase, especially when you saw the (increase cheap) price the WWF paid for it

That showed they (AOL/TW) just hated wrestling and wanted it off their network

Reactions: billCgmx
Didn't like it when it was "Raw Underground" and still think it's dumb.

Sounds like Tony is teasing a possible GM since he isn't "allowed" to leave Jacksonville. Maybe Kenny Omega.

We have Dynamite followed by Rampage this evening.

AEW World Champion Swerve Strickland's Double or Nothing PPV challenger revealed
*Kenny Omega returns
*FTW Champion Chris Jericho vs. Katsuyori Shibata
*Samoa Joe vs. Isiah Kassidy

Scheduled for Rampage

*Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brian Cage.
*Jay White vs. Dante Martin.

Reactions: GeraldV

Sounds like Tony is teasing a possible GM since he isn't "allowed" to leave Jacksonville. Maybe Kenny Omega.

AEW World Champion Swerve Strickland's Double or Nothing PPV challenger revealed
*Kenny Omega returns

Scheduled for Rampage

I always hate/hated the GM stuff in WWE and I'm sure I will hate it in AEW, if that happens.

I do hope the Elite beats Kenny O down tonight, as I am still looking forward to he and Okada as soon as he gets healthy.

Reactions: K-mac18
I mean, from all accounts, Bischoff probably had a team to purchase, especially when you saw the (increase cheap) price the WWF paid for it

That showed they (AOL/TW) just hated wrestling and wanted it off their network

They were losing tons of money on it and advertising revenue was probably in the toilet at that point.

*Kenny Omega returns

Scheduled for Rampage

Jay White should never be on rampage

Reactions: K-mac18
Missed this earlier they are promoting Claudio vs. Cage for Dynamite now.
Also Adam Copeland vs. a member of The House of Black
Serena Deeb vs. Mariah May

It’ll be fun to have Christian Cage cutting promos on Swerve for a few weeks before the PPV.

WTF was that Jericho match? I tuned in between commercials of the NBA playoffs. What has happened to this program? It's terrible. It's worse than the worst WCW days.

I'm out.

Sadly that was the best part of the show and it’s kinda gone downhill since…just not interesting other than that segment.
I thought the edge v Buddy match was good as well. Nothing much else of consequence otherwise.

Jay White should never be on rampage

I wonder if he regrets signing there.

Allegedly the hottest free agent of 2023 in the last year has:

Got a short lived main event push and lost title match

Was a member of a short lived comedy stable called the Bang Bang Scissor Gang.

Former ROH trios champ, which is probably the least important title in the company.

Is now an AEW trios champion, which is about as low on the title totem pole you can get.

Relegated to working against lower card talent on Jakked/Velocity, errr, I mean Rampage.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Really enjoyed the opening segment and thought the closing angle was very good.

While most of the match was pretty good, this not so much. Hulk Hogan probably thought this was a good chairshot.

Uncle Dave’s already trying to save face saying they should have done this angle 2 years ago…what he really meant to say was they should have done this with cm punk when he was there.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
This current storyline has been done much better in the past. Hall and Nash hijacked Nitro and jackknifed EB through a table. On the other channel it was Austin vs McMahon. The carney act has failed. TK wore a neck brace. Neat. He also smiled and moved his head while wearing it. Him excitedly saying, "Well actually, they recently renamed the Meltzer Driver the Tony Khan Driver..." was cringe. He was fanboying on the NFL Network because he got to play wrestler on his own show. All the coverage, the interviews, the Weinstein jab...for 703K. The playoff talking point is valid but eventually the excuses will run out. This angle isn't anything new, his aggressive jabs at WWE come off as weird and desperate, and your main players (Bucks, Perry) don't look like pro wrestlers who could take over a show.

Booking and personnel, along with an owner believing he's in an actual wrestling war are your culprits here. I would say maybe things change once MJF returns but as long as Tony is there, they won't and imo by around Jan 2027 that dude will be in WWE ready to make millions with guys like Cody. And yes, I can't wait until that happens.

Uncle Dave’s already trying to save face saying they should have done this angle 2 years ago…what he really meant to say was they should have done this with cm punk when he was there.

Everyone hates the Bucks

Bald FTR is annoying

Kenny may give it interest

But it won’t draw them money or improve their ratings

Jerry Jarrett’s old saying was “personal issues draw money “. They blew their chance.

Looks like drew singed a 3 year deal for about $4 million per year which is great because he’s had a great 2024 so far and he can keep it rolling.

Looks like Seth Rollins has also signed a new WWE deal.
WWE's Chief Operating Officer Brad Blum resigned this morning. He was Vince's Chief of Staff before and was one of the corporate people named in the Janel Grant lawsuit.

In AEW news Ethan Page is gone from the company.

When you have Meltzer out there saying your company is “uncool” …. Ironically, the hardcore fans made AEW uncool because in their eyes the product is perfect and anyone who says otherwise is labeled an “E drone,” which is the wrestling equivalent of Raftards labeling anyone with valid criticism of UK sports as a “UL fan.”

Part of the thing with this new big angle is nobody buys the Bucks and Perry as intimidating ass kickers.

They look like random high school kids with facial hair who could very well lose a real fight to most of the folks sitting in the audience. The level of suspension of disbelief required to buy into these guys as sinister heels is a really big ask. Add that to senior citizen Jericho having a terrible cosplay ECW match with hockey pucks and Mone’s wretched mic skills despite being paid pro athlete money and you have a recipe for very meh ratings.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Presentation is key and when you watch the Bucks (or google image Matthew and Nicholas Jackson), you're going to see guys trying to dress and act like yuppie douchebags and no one fears yuppie douchebags. As I said before, AEW fans popped for weeks over one of them growing a tiny mustache. And why was a tiny mustache grown? Because in cartoons the dastardly villain always has a tiny mustache. They're cartoons and usually ratings killers. They're indie nerds and the opposite of cool. The two guys leading the charge have go away heat with a lot of fans. As for Perry, he grew a beard so he doesn't look 15 anymore and now has a catchphrase which harkens back to him being a real life dick to an actual star in the business. As for Okada, he holds a meaningless belt and is a lackey for his buddies. He's a heel with no personality and no heat because fans respect him so much. This angle will never bring more eyes to AEW. Only way it may work is if they take a backseat, add muscle to their group and let that group start acting like The Shield. Then guys like MJF, Omega, and Darby come back. Add Cole deciding his love for AEW means more than his hatred for MJF or whatever and maybe then you've got something. Hell, maybe down the road have the Elite even turn on Perry because he'd work better as a wronged face than a tiny badass with facial hair.

Let’s be honest;

Edge and Mercedes MOAN are the last big names you’re going to see there. Guys like Drew and Seth know Tony is a clown and that company is completely mismanaged.

You’ll just see Indy goofs and guys the wwe let go. On a scale of 1-10 in credibility, aew is about at a 1.5 now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT