ADVERTISEMENT

Church.......

I'm an atheist who attends Mass weekly with my Catholic fiance.
I can firmly say that Protestants are shits compared to Catholics, in both rhetoric and service.

Reactions: cricket3
Recovering Catholic Promised my Mother I would go to Church for her funeral and I did. Haven't been back since. Would rather play golf on Sunday morning.

Reactions: TonyMontanaof300
Is something wrong in the Paddock? We have believers professing faith and agnostics/atheists professing their views and it's still civil.

I didnt think that was possible.

Not a fan, voice is too twangy.

tumblr_nd026eR7nn1tbnct6o1_400.gif

Reactions: JumperJack
Don't know much about Protestants, but was around Catholics long enough to know that they are holier than though, and truly believe that their shit does NOT stink.

My main observations as a former Catholic marred to a former protestant, the Catholic faith is heavy on the guilt. The protestant stuff is heavy on the fear of teh devil. Catholics aren't as uptight about partying, but holy ish they're uptight about sex.

My main observations as a former Catholic marred to a former protestant, the Catholic faith is heavy on the guilt. The protestant stuff is heavy on the fear of teh devil. Catholics aren't as uptight about partying, but holy ish they're uptight about sex.

Ditto on the guilt (raised Catholic). I was once told a story about a shepherd carrying a sheep and it pissing all over him, and was told that every time we sin, we're pissing all over our savior and to think of that when we sin. And the fear - when I was at Protestant things hell was a big topic.

Been 8 or 9 years since I've been to a church for something other than a wedding or funeral. No intention of that changing.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Last time I've been was either funeral or wedding. Even when I was young, before I became agnostic, I just realized church to be a ritual not a necessity of faith.

Wondered if the attendance was down across the board, just for the reason like most things...you can access the message or information yourself or from home. I mean I do know people still attend for community, togetherness, and what not.

I have read articles though about the younger generations being smaller in attendance but their reasoning was actually not bc of the religion or anything like that, but it was that churches were trying too hard to be cool trying to appeal to them. However in reality those that were religious to begin with just wanted regular church.

Reactions: GhostVol
I attend regularly and am proud of it. God is amazing and will work in peoples lives in crazy ways if they allow him. As a sinner in epic magnitude, I'm glad it's forgiven.

Last time I went was before I was attending elementary school and I'm one month away from becoming 32. I consider myself to be an agnostic. I'll just leave it at that.

Really there are only believers and agnostics. Atheist is a term thrown around a lot, and it's not really possible to be one. There's no way to know for a fact he's not real, and christians don't have that burden (we have faith). So it only leaves agnostic beliefs.

Hats off on leaving the door open for change.

Really there are only believers and agnostics. Atheist is a term thrown around a lot, and it's not really possible to be one. There's no way to know for a fact he's not real, and christians don't have that burden (we have faith). So it only leaves agnostic beliefs.

That's why I don't like the term agnostic, the impression that "the door is open." For me, it's really not. Agnostic is imo a pretty useless term since it's describes 100% of all people - we are all without absolute knowledge on the question, therefore we are all, every one of us, agnostic. But not knowing, with absolute certainty, isn't all that important the way I see things. We don't know that anyone other than ourselves exist. We don't know that we aren't living in a dream. We don't know that the universe isn't a computer simulation. We don't know that we aren't mentally ill and hallucinating parts of what we think are real. But in almost all matters other than religion, we accept being convinced enough for practical purposes. So I'm comfortable calling myself an atheist. Not trying to convince you or anybody else one way or the other on the question of gods, just wanted to throw out the perspective of why one atheist uses the term.

No
No less of an expert than Billy Joel said the Catholic girls start much too late...

Incorrect. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. Religion is based around the belief in a god or gods, well most of them that is.

Incorrect. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. Religion is based around the belief in a god or gods, well most of them that is.

An atheist believes there is no God. It's not faith, it's a position that isn't attainable. No man has that kind of knowledge to make that kind of concrete claim.

Non believers must be agnostics for the sole reason that they cannot even come close to claiming it's impossible. Atheism in itself does not leave the door open for error. That would be an agnostic.

All my opinion.

That's why I don't like the term agnostic, the impression that "the door is open." For me, it's really not. Agnostic is imo a pretty useless term since it's describes 100% of all people - we are all without absolute knowledge on the question, therefore we are all, every one of us, agnostic. But not knowing, with absolute certainty, isn't all that important the way I see things. We don't know that anyone other than ourselves exist. We don't know that we aren't living in a dream. We don't know that the universe isn't a computer simulation. We don't know that we aren't mentally ill and hallucinating parts of what we think are real. But in almost all matters other than religion, we accept being convinced enough for practical purposes. So I'm comfortable calling myself an atheist. Not trying to convince you or anybody else one way or the other on the question of gods, just wanted to throw out the perspective of why one atheist uses the term.

I understand, even though I don't fully agree. Even Einstein claimed no man has enough knowledge to be certain.

Reactions: allabouttheUK
An atheist believes there is no God. It's not faith, it's a position that isn't attainable. No man has that kind of knowledge to make that kind of concrete claim.

Non believers must be agnostics for the sole reason that they cannot even come close to claiming it's impossible. Atheism in itself does not leave the door open for error. That would be an agnostic.

All my opinion.
A true atheist isn't saying for a matter of fact no god exists, he is saying he doesn't believe a god exists. Belief and fact are not the same thing.

A true atheist isn't saying for a matter of fact no god exists, he is saying he doesn't believe a god exists. Belief and fact are not the same thing.

And id say an agnostic believes they don't know if God exist or not, an atheist flat denies the possibility. It's just not possible.

This debate could go on and on. It's just my opinion.

I go.

Instinctively, it goes against most of the innate tendencies I have, like allowing human connections with a strange group of people I didn't initially know anything about. I tend to think that's the point of going, however - to connect with other people, help them, and hopefully allow them to help me as well.

I think "loving others" has to involve real tangibility, and within the scope of the church, I find that in ways I wouldn't have otherwise found it. Surprisingly, it's a great deal more transparent and helpful than I originally thought it would be.

Heavy on guilt, really? Man, I have never met a catholic that came close to leading a somewhat holy life. They were all either crooked, cheaters, or drunks...maybe that's where the guilt comes from. lol They were all wealthy so they had that going for them.

Here comes SC screwing up a good thread with his ultimate wisdom (i.e. baseless opinions and total nonsense). It was good while it lasted.

Reactions: -LEK-
Here comes SC screwing up a good thread with his ultimate wisdom (i.e. baseless opinions and total nonsense). It was good while it lasted.

Opinions are just that, opinions. He states his, and made it clear that it wasn't FACT. So the only person that has started to ruin a thread would be you with the referenced post.

2 pages into a thread about religion that has remained civil and you start throwing out insults...good job, buddy. Stay classy!

Opinions are just that, opinions. He states his, and made it clear that it wasn't FACT. So the only person that has started to ruin a thread would be you with the referenced post.

2 pages into a thread about religion that has remained civil and you start throwing out insults...good job, buddy. Stay classy!

Calling atheists agnostic is ridiculous and absurd. It's an insult to atheists and if he's as smart as he thinks he is, he would know this.

Calling atheists agnostic is ridiculous and absurd. It's an insult to atheists and if he's as smart as he thinks he is, he would know this.

If you were as smart as you seem to think you are, you would know what an opinion is. You have managed to take a perfectly civil thread on a hot button issue for many people and turn it into...well, what it usually turns into. I guess congratulations are in order.

Reactions: .S&C.
And calling Christians agnostic is not ridiculous too? It goes both ways but the point was no one was really blasting anyone until you came along. Again way to go.

Thank you for being as open minded.....

And calling Christians agnostic is not ridiculous too? It goes both ways but the point was no one was really blasting anyone until you came along. Again way to go.

It's so easy to ruffle atheist feathers. Lmao. It was just an observation and yea the discourse was pretty basic and civil until professor Ron came in being SUPER DEFENSIVE.

I guess I should have stayed it was my opinion? 2 years of bible college formed my opinion.

Reactions: oldsports_
I go and I don't mind. Nice people there and my family doesn't have to go it alone. I give them as much money as they deserve but not as much as they want. So when they call I either don't answer or never return their call. It hasn't sunk in yet.

It's so easy to ruffle atheist feathers. Lmao. It was just an observation and yea the discourse was pretty basic and civil until professor Ron came in being SUPER DEFENSIVE.

I guess I should have stayed it was my opinion? 2 years of bible college formed my opinion.
It's kinda fun watching the atheist and agnostics argue, wouldn't ya say. Haha

From atheist.organization, and quoted

"Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as "a belief that there is no God."

Humm. It's not a disbelief, but a lack of belief......sounds about right for them

I grew up going to a baptist church. Didn't attend anywhere from 18-28. Met my wife and started going to hers (christian) because she asked if I wanted to. 6 years later a pretty involved member of the church. Still struggle a lot with questions that can't be answered and my own faith, but see this as the best way to be a good example for my two young children. I try to be helpful and understanding to everyone. Whether they believe or don't, mock religion or are crazy right wing religious zealots, it's not my place to say they're wrong. I don't know, I only know what I believe.

If you were as smart as you seem to think you are, you would know what an opinion is. You have managed to take a perfectly civil thread on a hot button issue for many people and turn it into...well, what it usually turns into. I guess congratulations are in order.

Opinions can take heat also. And his opinions on what an atheist is, is garbage. If he were to stick to the topic instead of trying to tell us what he thinks being an atheist means, we'd be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT