ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Martin

All I know about him is that he sucked as a head coach.Personally I would have liked some new blood.
Who has FN had success at Mairst ? Can you be positive about just ONE thing ? Cal, players, assistants. EVERYTHING you bitch or have a negative comment. He is highly regarded as a great assistant, you know what his job is going to be. He is not coming as a head coach. I think I will take the opinion of industry pros over same lame ass hack, negative post who wants a coaching change and doesn't have a clue who would be better. So frustrating surely there is something you think is good here , maybe ?

Reactions: Kybluedude
He was ranked as one of the top assistants in the country. Some people have the strengths to be a great assistant coach but not be a good head coach. His head coach record doesn't mean he isn't a grand slam hire which it sounds like he is.
Yeah, his record as a head coach doesn't necessarily mean much in regard to being as assistant. I think Kenny Payne is an example of that as well. As you say, some guys are great at being a #2 guy but don't have what it takes to be the head man. That shouldn't be seen as an insult, in my opinion. I would give this advice to anyone- sometimes taking the next step up isn't the right move. If you are enjoying success and happy, making that next step up the ladder could be a terrible decision. People just think it's always the right move. It's called being promoted to incompetence. Ideally, you want to stop being promoted at the exact right time. Find your niche, be happy, and enjoy life. As for Chuck Martin, it seems head coaching isn't his gig, but from what I've read he's great as an assistant.

He's a good worker and relationship guy. Well liked by HS/AAU guys alike. Heard one guy was interested but reluctant to get there knowing he's looking for a HC job within next year. UK didn't want another KT Turner situation, but they did covet 2/3 NBA guys and it didn't workout for various reasons but not lack of effort.

Martin only worked with Cal at Memphis in a short span so not like he's a lifer with him or anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT