1. Charlie Brown Christmas
2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
3. Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
4. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
5. Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas

Reactions: J_Dee and jedwar
Often forgotten Christmas gem

stalag17.jpg

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned. Another Jimmy Stewart classic.

s-l640.gif

Reactions: jedwar
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned. Another Jimmy Stewart classic.

s-l640.gif
I have not seen that one. I had it on DVR but deleted it. I'll try to snag it again. I much prefer the old movies to the new ones.

Reactions: UK82
I've been digging some of the Christmas specials.. Bill Murray's is fantastically Wes Anderson-esque.. and I really enjoyed Kacey Musgrave's special this year too. Great singing, keep it on in the background and surprisingly funny.

Plus, she's a total babe. Watch the curtain call at the end to get a little Christmas Yule Log if you know what I'm saying!

For the last time, Die Hard is NOT a Christmas movie.

A Christmas Story is best.
This. Die Hard was just a movie that happened to take place at Christmas time. It's overriding theme was not Christmas.

Christmas Vacation is the gold standard of Christmas comedies.
Christmas Story is a Solid Second
I did enjoy Elf and The Santa Clause
I never much got into the classics, but i don't have anything against them. the above are just ones I tend to watch year in and year out.

This. Die Hard was just a movie that happened to take place at Christmas time. It's overriding theme was not Christmas.

Let's see.

1. McClane brings a Christmas present to his wife.
  2. Movie has Christmas music near the beginning.
  3. McClane goes to Nakatomi Plaza where he will be attending a Christmas party where his wife works.
  4. Dead terrorist is wearing a Santa hat with Ho Ho Ho written on his shirt.
  5. It ends with the song Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! This is in LA where it doesn't snow so that is a clear sign they are trying to emphasize the Christmas theme.
With all that I am going with Christmas movie with a side of drama. Is that any different than movies like It's A Wonderful Life or Home Alone? Both are known as Christmas movies that take place at Christmas but have storylines that have to do with non Christmas situations.

A guy about to commit suicide and is shown what things would be like if he didn't exist and a boy that was accidently left home alone that is dealing with burglars trying to break in his house and rob it.

If it's considered a Christmas movie in your house then it's a Christmas movie.

I don't find Diehard to be a Christmas movie any more than I do as a Twinkie commercial. I also don't consider Home Alone to be a Christmas movie. I've seen Diehard too many times, but I've only seen HA once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT