ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mack to Louisville?

Oh boy, that hire will not sit well with the red bird fans. They all think they should be in line to get a Brad Stevens or a Billy Donovan.
In reality they need to be happy with Padgett, Crean or Mack, because that's how bad their rep is now.
Hell if I was a U6bbfan I'd be pi$$$d off with Crean , but i do think Padgett has done a good job and I don't really want to see them get Mack.

Reactions: ekywildcat
I am having a hard time hating LilBro this year because of Padgett. He seems like a decent person and has not done anything to make an ass of himself wrt the rivalry. With Pitino as their coach I would get nervous when they were behind because I hated them so badly and wanted them to lose. I've moved into the agnostic camp on them.

I dont really care one way or another what happens and just dont watch them to pull against them. So from that side of it I have made a HUGE move back toward the middle on them. They dont seem to have too many idiots for players and their coach is not a self-aggrandizing sociopath. Their AD is gone...good lord....they are making themselves a lot harder to hate with every fiber of my being.

He'd be insane to leave a program like Xavier and take over a team on probation. Now, he might be the *next* next coach, but if they're obliterated for a handful of years, why tie your stock to that?

Let someone else carry the probation burden, then ride in with a blank check and low expectations.

Reactions: morgousky
Though they ended in the elite 8, he's had 9-9 conference records in the Big East 2 of the last 3 years. That doesn't scream "ELITE" coach to me.

Reactions: bigbluegrog
Don't believe it. Louisville is going to float all kinds of BS to make themselves look attractive.

The ncaa must crush them. There's no way around it. No coach will take it with better options. You'll be competing against Cal, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, the ACC, and the NCAA. You won't get to play in gray areas either, not for years and years.

No one high profile will touch it.

Padgent is doing fine. Kids seem to enjoy playing and playing hard. Young guy seldom makes the same mistake twice. Ain't like he got a roster of NBA ready talent plus the red birds had some decommits.
Biggest thing is this guy was admirable as a player that came back twice from major injury and is actually HONESTLY humble...never heard him throw a player under the bus.
Cards might need to be careful. The guy they accidentally got could be the best thing there is.

Don't believe it. Louisville is going to float all kinds of BS to make themselves look attractive.

The ncaa must crush them. There's no way around it. No coach will take it with better options. You'll be competing against Cal, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, the ACC, and the NCAA. You won't get to play in gray areas either, not for years and years.

No one high profile will touch it.
Exactly. This was the same Gruden to UT crap except UL is complete dumpster fire with overwhelming NCAA sanctions coming. He would be foolish to consider the tards until that mess has been sorted out.
Also UL is not a top ten program now. Just because they have a decent following, the program has done nothing for over 30 years. UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Michigan, Michigan State, Arizona, Villanova, Kansas, Florida, Syracuse, and Wisconsin are better programs right now. Throw in that they are about to be torched by the NCAA and are toxic to top recruits, the tards are years from competing at a high level after this year.

Reactions: morgousky
Oh boy, that hire will not sit well with the red bird fans. They all think they should be in line to get a Brad Stevens or a Billy Donovan.
In reality they need to be happy with Padgett, Crean or Mack, because that's how bad their rep is now.

I would be soooo happy if they hired Clappy Crean as their new coach! He was so entertaining at iu and nothing would make me happier than to see him hiking up his pants, clapping and all the rest of his crazy antics on the uavel sidelines. Please, please, please????!!!!

Reactions: kyjeff1
That would be a really solid hire, he’s a great coach! With that said, I’m hoping they don’t get him and just keep Padgett.

Honestly think Mack has a better future. They need to grab a retiring coach and have him set a foundation (think Brooks)

They may have to beg Padgett to take the job. He'd be a good hire for some good programs....ones that could play basketball next year.

Why would any coach take that job until they find out what the sanctions are going to be? There might not even be a program to coach!!
They wouldn't. In fact, given the job Padgett has done this season, if the punishment is severe enough he might even leave for a team that's NCAA eligible.

The thing about Padgett is how can you be on a staff where everyone's dirty and you not know anything. Yes he has done great job coaching this team so far but still birds of a feather flock together.
Agree with this. UL is lucky the "me too" mob isn't running a bulldozer down Floyd Street right now after what they did.

Last edited:
Yeah, but why would Mack make that move? Money parhaps, but he's turned X into a pretty good job. Taking the UL job right now is a dangerous career move in my opinion.
Xavier imo is a better job. You've had pete Gillian, skip prosser, Thad motta and Sean miller. They are always dangerous in the tournament. I don't know what he could benefit from except playing in the acc. Mick would be a perfect fit for them as I can't stand him much like Louisville

Reactions: kyjeff1
They think they’ll get K or Brad Stevens to come coach this dumpster fire. If the world is right, they’ll be so deep in probation and scholarship reductions that nobody above the NAIA would be interested in them

Reactions: Bryo72
No reason to leave Xavier unless he just wants to coach in the ACC. Xavier loves their basketball and throws big time money in it. They have super facilities and the whole campus really revolves around that team. You never know about coaches though. Sometimes they are looking to move to what they consider to be a "better" job.

Most of what you said is true. I haven't talked to Chris for a couple years, But at one time he told me Louisville was his " dream job "
That's like saying Betty White is your "dream woman". She might have been good looking years ago but the looks have really faded. Louisville is the same way.

Reactions: Bigblueincincy
I don't believe he or any big name coach would take that job given the fact that the hammer will hit that nail hard when the investigation is over and they get their punishment..Having said that, I actually like Padgett and he is doing a good job currently..I seriously don't know who would want to coach there under the circumstances..

Reactions: Bryo72
I so wish UofL would bring in Richard Pitino....
Let's just kick the whole family in the nuts....

I agree that no "top" coach is going to UL until all sanctions are handed out. That said, I don't really understand the Chris Mack love on here. His best 2 season's were the 2 following Miller. He was playing Miller's guys kinda like Tubby. His team's performed worse once they moved to the Big East and I wouldn't expect improvement when he moves to the ACC. He is a solid coach but more along the lines of Stallings at Vandy. Solid with the occasional very good team. I don't think UL fans would end up happy with Mack.

I talked to my buddy that's a big Xavier booster. He said, Mack is waiting on UL sanctions to get out. If it's not the death penalty then he will be gone. His wife is from Louisville and her family is still there. I don't think he leaves because Louisville is going to get hammered in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT