ADVERTISEMENT

Challenging Ga In The East...No Reaspect

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
Watching replay of Georgia-Vandy game from Saturday night and they keep talking about who
will challenge Georgia for the SEC-East and championshipt and have not mentioned Kentucky at all. They have mentioned Tennessee, Missouri, South Carolina, and Florida. This was after those teams lost their opening games against lesser teams than Toledo. No respect! Unbelievable! Go 'Cats!

I don't see any team in the East beating UGA. Just too good and too talented and very well coached. UGA is likely to own the East for a while.
Fromm and Swift are very, very good. If UGA's defense steps up another notch, they could take the SEC crown this year and be in the playoff.
SEC West is a land mine. Lord have mercy.

I like it. I hope it continues. That’s what makes winning all the more sweet. I thoroughly enjoyed my Saturday with us winning and those other 3 losing. When you start your season off 0-1 it deflates you. It takes all the hard work you’ve done all summer and it takes the wind right out of your sails. You know no matter what happens you aren’t going to make the playoffs. Even if it were a far reaching dream, by losing you crush any chance of it. Plus you know that any chance of a special season is gone because you count on winning all of your non-conference games. So keep sleeping on us.

Yeah there’s a lot of talking heads that don’t believe we are here to stay. Hell some still believe what happened last year was just a fluke. They refuse to acknowledge the fact we’ve been improving every year since Stoops has been here and should have had 9 wins the year before last years 10 win season. But they still hang on USC and Mizzu and even Tenn nut sacks till the bitter end. It kills their souls to have to say good things about UK.

Yeah there’s a lot of talking heads that don’t believe we are here to stay. Hell some still believe what happened last year was just a fluke. They refuse to acknowledge the fact we’ve been improving every year since Stoops has been here and should have had 9 wins the year before last years 10 win season. But they still hang on USC and Mizzu and even Tenn nut sacks till the bitter end. It kills their souls to have to say good things about UK.
They know what our HC knew when he took the job. If we get over the hump and put together 3-4 seasons (we stand at 2) challenging for SEC East crown, we really will become the Midwest's entry in their lovely little club, with a larger natural recruiting home turf both by area and population than any other school in the conference not named Tx A&M. We can defeat our natural disadvantage of being a small state in this way. The subtext of everything is to pushback against the thought we can do it... say as little positive as possible. Example: Stinchomb and Zarzour offering ZERO gloss on why Koback transferred to Toledo... as if somehow, he was just unhappy with the fact we honored his scholly and rehabbed him, and he was desperate to play in the MAC rather than the SEC.

It will be a tall, tall order for UK to get a win in Athens this year. Georgia is the king of the East and will be for a while. Kirby has got it going on and is in the midst of establishing a juggernaut. As far as our Cats go, let the media continue to underestimate and disrespect us. I think UK is more dangerous when they play with a chip on their shoulder. Stoops needs to continue to win, recruit, build the brand, and establish consistency in being competitive year in and year out. Doing this will garner respect and accolades from the national media.

SECE is JawJaw and then everybody else. Yes, UK has gotten better over the last 5 years but several others (MO, TN, FL, even SC) have gotten "worse". In the case of SC and MO they have "returned to so-so" after a few big win seasons. Historic power TN has had a losing season in 7 of the last 11 years. Even FL has had 2 losing and two 7 win seasons over the past 8 years.

The SECE bottom line is A LOT more competition (including UK) for runner up to JawJaw. Long term, the key for UK will be to "build" upon their current status. Time will tell beginning this year. A good start would be going at least 3-1 on those 4 teams. [winking]

Peace

PS: "R-E-A-S-P-E-C-T...find out what it means to me" [laughing]

Last edited:
Ignoring Florida - the last non UGA team to win the East - who finished with the same record as us last year is a little absurd.
Welcome to the Kentucky football fan board. We whipped their ass last year in the swamp. Seeing how they struggled against a poor Miami team and we get them in our house, it's going to be even worse this year. Now, why don't you toodle along and let us Kentucky fans crow a bit and have a little fun here, Captain Spock.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
There are more than one types of respect. I think most logical people respect what Stoops has accomplished during his time here. But looking at our past the same people don’t have respect for the program, and their opinions reflect that. It’s understandable if you think about it. One ten win season in over 40 years? The Bama’s, Ohio St., FSU, Oklahoma, etc. fans would consider 10-3 very mediocre. But to UK fans, me included, it’s a great accomplishment. But it’s got to be maintained over a period of time, and we can do that if we can keep the type of coaching staffs we have now. Stoops and staff alone will not be here long enough to garner the same respect as the big dogs, and that’s ok, but they can lay the groundwork for it and they seem to be doing just that, while earning their own respect. It’s gonna come long as the W’S come, just gonna take time. I plan to enjoy the ride, been a long time coming.

UGA is one of about a handful of programs who are just on another level than everyone else.

Their players look, move, and execute plays different. The coaching staffs seem to game plan and play call on another level.

I really do think we are the second best team in the east, maybe top 4-5 in the SEC. UGA is just different though.

We have the talent to compete with an beat them, it's just a matter of everyone having their A game and capitalizing on any mistakes UGA may make. Have to score period, early, often, especially on bonus possessions via a big 3 and out or turnover.

We can survive a slow start and going a couple possessions without scoring or a big defensive stand against most other teams but not UGA.

Fans and folks actually paying attention to the programs and watching the games know. UK fans are well versed in what mess of a program looks like and know that's not what we have. UT fans know what a championship program looks like, and deep down know that's not what they got right now.

I wouldn't worry about what other folks are saying this early. Most people are basing their predictions largely off overall talent on paper, recruiting rankings over the past couple seasons, name brands, and what the program has generally done over the past few decades.

Until proven other wise it's UGA, UK, and Florida.

What is sad is that people take a “wait and see” approach with UK every year, but a team like Missouri gets countless hype for the last 8 months.

But - you see - their QB played at Clemson! We won’t mention that he was mediocre there...

My favorite part of the Missouri hype is people saying “they have no bowl game” as a reason they’d rally the wagons and play balls to the wall every game, while completely ignore the possibility they would lay down with nothing to play for.

SECE is JawJaw and then everybody else. Yes, UK has gotten better over the last 5 years but several others (MO, TN, FL, even SC) have gotten "worse". In the case of SC and MO they have "returned to so-so" after a few big win seasons. Historic power TN has had a losing season in 7 of the last 11 years. Even FL has had 2 losing and two 7 win seasons over the past 8 years.

The SECE bottom line is A LOT more competition (including UK) for runner up to JawJaw. Long term, the key for UK will be to "build" upon their current status. Time will tell beginning this year. A good start would be going at least 3-1 on those 4 teams. [winking]

Peace

PS: "R-E-A-S-P-E-C-T...find out what it means to me" [laughing]

SEC east still way better than either ACC division. WAY BETTER

There are more than one types of respect. I think most logical people respect what Stoops has accomplished during his time here. But looking at our past the same people don’t have respect for the program, and their opinions reflect that. It’s understandable if you think about it. One ten win season in over 40 years? The Bama’s, Ohio St., FSU, Oklahoma, etc. fans would consider 10-3 very mediocre. But to UK fans, me included, it’s a great accomplishment. But it’s got to be maintained over a period of time, and we can do that if we can keep the type of coaching staffs we have now. Stoops and staff alone will not be here long enough to garner the same respect as the big dogs, and that’s ok, but they can lay the groundwork for it and they seem to be doing just that, while earning their own respect. It’s gonna come long as the W’S come, just gonna take time. I plan to enjoy the ride, been a long time coming.
Can't agree with you regarding Stoops not having time to flip the script. He's still relatively young, and I'm not convinced he's leaving just because the opportunity arises.

I don't see any team in the East beating UGA. Just too good and too talented and very well coached. UGA is likely to own the East for a while.
Fromm and Swift are very, very good. If UGA's defense steps up another notch, they could take the SEC crown this year and be in the playoff.
If everything falls into place, like we hope it does, 2020 should be big and if we have a legit shot at challenging UGA, then that's the year to do it. They get Bama in their rotation next year, so we could get a little outside help.

It's hard for UK football to shake it's long track record of mediocrity and futility. Last season was a huge step forward to change that. Now, we must keep winning, keep finding a way to get ahead.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Just keep winning. It’s the only respect that matters.

True. And, the ESPN dudes fawn all over themselves when a team is competitive because of offense. It’s not as glamorous to build a winning defense. Last season challenged the traditional entrenched mindset in CFB. It was really hard for the ex-offensive players who have become taking heads to get their brains around the idea of UK winning by dominating on defense. What? No tricky offense? What are we going to talk about? How does my hair look?

I think Georgia will take SEC Crown this year but I could see another team in West like LSU or A&M winning it also. I just think Bama is to weak at LB, but until they are beat they are still the favorite.

Mark my words, South Carolina will not make a bowl this season.

For those that are privileged to vote in these polls, I might have assumed they at least look at the schedules. But they clearly don’t. Which cements in my mind that polls mean squat.

SC plays the 1,2,3,8,12 ranked teams this season. And that doesn’t even count games like UK and Mizzou which won’t be easy.

This is a team coached by Bum Muschamp, that just dropped their season opener to a very pedestrian UNC team on a neutral field, and is now going to be starting a true Fr QB as they head into this murderers row schedule.

As it stands they have 6 guaranteed losses. Lose one additional game and they don’t even have a post season. And this is a team that was ranked Top 25 pre-season. One game in and they are on the brink of not going to a bowl. Lol. These polls....what a joke.

UF is the 8th best team in the country and UK is going to give them all they want.

Mark my words, South Carolina will not make a bowl this season.

For those that are privileged to vote in these polls, I might have assumed they at least look at the schedules. But they clearly don’t. Which cements in my mind that polls mean squat.

SC plays the 1,2,3,8,12 ranked teams this season. And that doesn’t even count games like UK and Mizzou which won’t be easy.

This is a team coached by Bum Muschamp, that just dropped their season opener to a very pedestrian UNC team on a neutral field, and is now going to be starting a true Fr QB as they head into this murderers row schedule.

As it stands they have 6 guaranteed losses. Lose one additional game and they don’t even have a post season. And this is a team that was ranked Top 25 pre-season. One game in and they are on the brink of not going to a bowl. Lol. These polls....what a joke.

UF is the 8th best team in the country and UK is going to give them all they want.

When you see that schedule listed as you present it, it is damn scary. I think your conclusion is correct.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Just win and the respect will take care of itself. We’ve played one game this season.

Only way we get respect is by showing some consistency. A 2nd straight win over a ranked Florida squad will do wonders.

What a huge game that will be, assuming both teams win this weekend.

Mullen's head and body will arrive back to Gainesville on two separate flights if we do indeed beat them again.

Against Toledo, we dug ourselves in a hole at first.... But then something changed for the better. Its like this team woke up from last year and wanted the game just as much as last years team. I feel that we could be just as good as last years team but its gonna take some more work and wins. Georgia is pretty good. They made our best effort look average last year.

Georgia is arguably recruiting the best talent in football. They are on a level that only Bama and Clemson can lay claim! We are not there and we need to keep winning, developing our players and build upon our program foundation. Our trajectory will continue in an upward trend/direction. We just need to keep our eyes on the prize and work towards ours goals to be a top program.
Coach Stoops has a plan and with the support of the administration and our fans, we can continue to get better and rise to the top!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT