ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports editor not buying that Ivisic will be a contributor this year

Jul 28, 2003
link

Jordan Burks | 6-9 | 190 | Fr.
Joey Hart | 6-5 | 180 | Fr.
Zvonimir Ivisic | 7-1 | 220 | Fr.

Burks and Hart were three-star prospects, while Ivisic was a late addition from Croatia whose lengthy frame will be useful in practice. Ultimately, this trio seems unlikely to crack the rotation in 2023-24. But they each have a chance to develop into long-term contributors, if they stick around. Of the three, Burks appears to have the best shot at playing early since he logged 17.3 minutes per game during the GLOBL JAM.

Dude would have been drafted in the second round if he would have stayed in the draft.

I know the NBA drafts based on potential, but still.

If Cal brought this kid in with the idea of getting him into first round consideration, then I think he might play him some.

He might not start, but I would be surprised if he is not in the rotation and getting at least 15 minutes a game.

It’s not like he has a ton of talent ahead of him at the 5 spot. We only have four guys taller than 6’8.

Of the three, Burks appears to have the best shot at playing early.

Nah.

I saw that. He thinks he won’t even see the rotation.

Yet, he's already projected to be in the NBA draft list next season. Hmmm.
I've been listening a lot to Norlander, Parrish, Goodman, and others this summer, and I'm convinced they know about as much about our program and players as the average poster on this message board.

They offer almost no unique insights. It's appallingly scary how basic they are.

I've been listening a lot to Norlander, Parrish, Goodman, and others this summer, and I'm convinced they know about as much about our program and players as the average poster on this message board.

They offer almost no unique insights. It's appallingly scary how basic they are.
Yep. Those guys are very informed about basketball, but there are over 300 teams and they can't be super-knowledgeable about them all. Also, the last 5 yrs has understandably made a lot of people gun-shy about believing the hype. Also, Parrish is a longtime critic of Cal, and I think many of his criticisms are valid. All that said, I think they are undervaluing us, which is good IMO. Better to surprise than disappoint.

This breakdown is so bad.

Thiero starting at the 2? (Not happening)

Reeves at the 3 and Edwards at the 4? (Definitely not happening)

Zero chance that Bradshaw or Ivisic don't start- maybe both. Out of Mitchell, Ivisic and Bradshaw, 2 of them will start and one of them will obviously play the rest of the time.

And having Ivisic not in the rotation at all is just super dense. How these guys get paid to write on this and don't even do basic research is beyond me.

Read that Bradshaw is out of boot and working out in New Jersey. Expected to be ready to go when players report back on campus for Fall classes and practice. Sounded very promising to me.

Yeah I think they'll both be in great shape come the start of practice in September.

Maybe they are extra cautious and don't ramp Bradshaw up fully until early October, but that still gives him a full month to get into the swing of things- as an 18/19 year old, that is more than enough time.

If Bradshaw is good to go by the opening game I think he and Mitchell are our starting bigs, with Ivisic coming off the bench. That is, unless Ivisic just wows everybody in practice.

Reactions: jrpross

Zero chance that Bradshaw or Ivisic don't start- maybe both. Out of Mitchell, Ivisic and Bradshaw, 2 of them will start and one of them will obviously play the rest of the time.

And having Ivisic not in the rotation at all is just super dense. How these guys get paid to write on this and don't even do basic research is beyond me.
This guy loses all credibility with this report.

Have there been any other player that has had a predictive range by so called"experts" from bench warmer to possible 1st rounder next year?

Last edited:
Reactions: grevey35
Yep. Those guys are very informed about basketball, but there are over 300 teams and they can't be super-knowledgeable about them all. Also, the last 5 yrs has understandably made a lot of people gun-shy about believing the hype. Also, Parrish is a longtime critic of Cal, and I think many of his criticisms are valid. All that said, I think they are undervaluing us, which is good IMO. Better to surprise than disappoint.
The issue with that first statement is that it’s their job to be well informed about any team they are discussing. For the average fan, of course we won’t know about every other team. They get paid to do it.

This re can go fly a kite.
Lets see what he says when we are #1 and destroying everyone in our paths.
DA

Reactions: chroix
The issue with that first statement is that it’s their job to be well informed about any team they are discussing. For the average fan, of course we won’t know about every other team. They get paid to do it.
Exactly.

I remember when I was younger and really into college basketball to the point that I studied other teams. I knew most of the major team’s rosters.

And I had a day job.

Really no excuse for someone who covers college basketball for a living not to know about the rosters of every major conference team, plus basic knowledge of the mid and low major teams.

Remember they are comparing against other programs. We as UK fans look only at our roster and this ivisivic imo could go either way. UK fanbase has a tendency to pump guys who become average or below average players. Especially when it comes to foreign bigs. Orzbut, humphries you name it. Kanter was legit but we never got a chance to see him. I’d hold off on bashing the medias opinion or the guy until we ve actually seen the guy perform against cbb competition. Just because a guy is potential nba big doesn’t mean in one season he will be effective in college.

Things to say CBS is full of bull: Ivisic is on pre-draft NBA boards and he's an athletic 7'1. Can't teach that. And he's played against grown men. Things to say there might be something to CBS comment: His pro team was in someplace like Albania and he didn't crack the starting five.

So we really don't know, until they are laced up and the zebras blow the whistle.

The key of value with Ivisic is can he be a defender in the paint. I read he is easily pushed around. But Cals defense has worked with an interior defender and has been poor without that. Switching has allowed so many even average guards to blow by our players for layups or floaters. If his height and hopefully some skill can fulfill that role he will be a great addition.

Thiero is gonna be our small ball 4 the way he’s rebounding.

Remember they are comparing against other programs. We as UK fans look only at our roster and this ivisivic imo could go either way. UK fanbase has a tendency to pump guys who become average or below average players. Especially when it comes to foreign bigs. Orzbut, humphries you name it. Kanter was legit but we never got a chance to see him. I’d hold off on bashing the medias opinion or the guy until we ve actually seen the guy perform against cbb competition. Just because a guy is potential nba big doesn’t mean in one season he will be effective in college.
You've seen the footage of Humphries and Woo. You've also seen the footage of Ivisic. Their skill sets are not even in the same universe.

That's why the media's "let's wait and see" take on Ivisic is fine if the waiting and seeing is merely about his adjustment time needed and not his skill set. He may be a guy who gives us 4 points and 4 rebounds/game next year, but it won't be because he's lacking in the skillset that the NBA covets.

Last edited:

He's a UT grad, link above...

Even if they are correct, saying they can’t be knowledgeable about all 300 teams is fine. No one cares if they are knowledgeable about South Carolina upstate, but they should be knowledgeable about the major programs especially Kentucky. There’s no need to make excuses about people being bad at their jobs unless you’re related to them.

Reactions: Mike-D and grevey35

They’re all hacks! Field of 68 is a bunch of Big East Fanboys who love to shit on UK. Goodman is an unqualified hack who is no longer with a major publication for a reason. College Basketball media as a whole is a shitshow!

Well it's basically a really slow time for college basketball writers this guys so called experts are Parrish and Goodman. I mean Parrish has made a career for himself by pissing Uk fans off and can show an editor all the hits he gets by doing so. The editor doesn't care if the opinions are right he cares about how many hits they can get so advertisement can be sold at a premium. By the time the season rolls around and if they turn out to be wrong not many casual fans even remember what either said in august

Dude would have been drafted in the second round if he would have stayed in the draft.

I know the NBA drafts based on potential, but still.

If Cal brought this kid in with the idea of getting him into first round consideration, then I think he might play him some.

He might not start, but I would be surprised if he is not in the rotation and getting at least 15 minutes a game.

It’s not like he has a ton of talent ahead of him at the 5 spot. We only have four guys taller than 6’8.

Honestly, I can't believe nobody would take a flier on the kid. Loads of potential. So glad nobody promised him a 1st round slot.

Kentucky is far from the other 300 teams in college basketball. Do some basic research, or quit your job.

I never heard anyone talk about orzbutor Humphries very highly.
Most of our fans do as you are saying, if you can't watch that kid move and know he's a decent ball player then that's a dif story. The dude is making step back 3's from 25 ft. That doesn't change in America.

I never heard anyone talk about orzbutor Humphries very highly.
Most of our fans do as you are saying, if you can't watch that kid move and know he's a decent ball player then that's a dif story. The dude is making step back 3's from 25 ft. That doesn't change in America.
We ll see after cal forces him to sit in the post and take a beating.

And the issue with this statement is with your assertion these folks get paid to know the sport they’re covering- they’re not paid to do that.

They’re paid to generate traffic for their website/tv channel/stream. Reporters have not been paid for their journalistic integrity in a very long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT