ADVERTISEMENT

Cats Ranked As One of Worst Power 5 Teams for 2018

Ouch. I’m guessing seven wins and a trip to the music city bowl isn’t helping us a ton from a perception standpoint apparently

Certainly upsetting to fans but nothing that hasn't been said already. Being ranked 14th on Sheridan's above list is the equivalent of being ranked #51 among the 65 P5 programs. By this measure, Steele has the Cats #58, ESPN has the Cats #56 and Connolly has the Cats #52. FWIW, most teams ranked "below" the Cats seemed pretty consistent list-to-list.

I do not follow Sheridan but I suspect his above cited "opinion" was based on his set of "numbers".

Peace

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Per Danny Sheridan.....remember when he used to be relevant? Yeah, the 80's were great.

Guess that's why he's now writing for Cigar Aficionado, where everyone goes for their sports news.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ding-into-2018-according-to-popular-magazine/

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/the-16-worst-teams-in-college-football-2018-edition
I think this projection will be proven wrong, but someone will give attention to Danny Sheridan again a year from now.

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
look at the schedule. We will WIN all the home games except Georgia. That's 6-1. Maybe we lose all 5 road games or maybe we win 2.
What I do know is UK's got a battering ram junior running back named Benny Snell and he will win games at home.
6 and 1 at home. Mark it down. The key is beating the cocks and the cowbells at Commonwealth.
September 22nd [cock lovers] to the 29th [cow lovers] will decide what kinda season Uk will have.
Wildcat lover sounds so much better don't it? lol [cheers] I'd be embarrassed to call myself a orange lover that's for sure.
[I couldn't resist. FU UT.]

Last edited:
Last year marked the third time in Kentucky history that the football team has made three straight bowl appearances.

That's his opening line. I feel really confident about his knowledge of the team.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
There's plenty of BB info in his little blurb.

No wonder he's writing for a cigar website

Writes like these have changed little since the mid 1970 UK teams.
Got a good feeling about the present squad. If Gunner and/or Terry turn out to be as efficient as Mike Hartline and without coaching snafus this team should win 8 or 9 games!
Maybe 10;)

UK's ineptitude makes it easy for these so called experts to write their little articles. 30+ year losing streak to a conference opponent, a D that routinely gets gashed for 300+ rushing yards...the same D that fails to force opponents to punt even ONCE in a game, blowing late Ws at home, etc. Easy pickens for lazy writers.

UK's ineptitude makes it easy for these so called experts to write their little articles. 30+ year losing streak to a conference opponent, a D that routinely gets gashed for 300+ rushing yards...the same D that fails to force opponents to punt even ONCE in a game, blowing late Ws at home, etc. Easy pickens for lazy writers.
Sad, but true

Reactions: jnewc2
Must be the writers fault we keep losing in embarrassing fashion. We shouldn't let them coach any more games.

Reactions: jnewc2
They look at Kentucky and see them without a QB who has game experience in a Kentucky uniform. That is the big X factor. When one of the two shows he is as good or better than Stephen Johnson, maybe they will change their views.

UK football hasn't done anything to get out of the cellar and be talked about differently.

6-7 wins doesn't mean diddly in the big picture, especially when most years 4 of those wins are 3 puff OOC teams and Vandy...

Reactions: jnewc2 and howercat

Exactly, win and it helps out our profile but there will still be those who won’t do the work to see that we are improving. Love to see another win improvement this season.

Reactions: cat888
"Defensively the team returns nine starters, but will have to replace the hole left by middle linebacker Courtney Love. (That’s not a joke, but his actual name). The schedule is historically unkind to Kentucky when you consider they are currently on a 31-game losing streak to Florida, and have not won in Tennessee since 1984. But fear not, Kentucky fans, the 2018-2019 AAU victory tour will begin performances at Rupp Arena in just a few more weeks."

Why link to this s***? AAU victory tour? This guy is straight up trolling.

"Defensively the team returns nine starters, but will have to replace the hole left by middle linebacker Courtney Love. (That’s not a joke, but his actual name). The schedule is historically unkind to Kentucky when you consider they are currently on a 31-game losing streak to Florida, and have not won in Tennessee since 1984. But fear not, Kentucky fans, the 2018-2019 AAU victory tour will begin performances at Rupp Arena in just a few more weeks."

Why link to this s***? AAU victory tour? This guy is straight up trolling.

Exactly.

You mean like basically every other team in our conference?

Going 4-4 in conference should mean diddly. Stop giving them the benefit of the doubt in their lazy writing/research.

4-4 in conference has never meant diddly to sports writers, and it shouldn't. Especially in this conference where 4-4, 5-3, 6-2 has gotten coaches fired...

Last year overall was a sign of progress to us, but outside of the BBN it barely registered. We can take a lot away from last season and be happy, we can see reasons to be hopeful going forward, but sports writers and the like have absolutely no reason to write anything other than what they usually write about UK football.

The sports world outside of BBN looked at the 4-4 and saw we beat 3 bad teams and a middle of the road SC. That is not worthy of much more than what it has gotten.

People also looked at us getting steam rolled at home by a mediocre ACC team. Then in a bowl game, our one chance to prove to the world that maybe we're ready for some love, we play like doo doo.

That respect for individual players and team in general that this board is hollering about doesn't come until we start winning 8-9 games consistently, once in a blue moon 10, and we start playing and wining some decent OOC games other than UL.

Reactions: jnewc2 and howercat
As many in this thread have said, we just have to win. Until then the disrespect will continue unabated.

To that point it’s my opinion this season likely hinges on two games, MSU and SC in Lexington. Both are improved and likely ranked teams. If we want respect and a good season we have, HAVE to win those games. Unlike Florida these are teams we’ve beaten in recent years. Lose both and Stoops has a season that puts him on the hotseat.

Kentucky is closer to a top 25 team than a top 50. As others have mentioned, they're basing everything on the lack of a returning QB and ignoring the returnees on DEF and RB.

As much as I liked Stephen Johnson, his loss is far from an insurmountable one. Having a RB of Snell's caliber returning outweighs any questions at QB, IMO.

4-4 in conference has never meant diddly to sports writers, and it shouldn't. Especially in this conference where 4-4, 5-3, 6-2 has gotten coaches fired...

Last year overall was a sign of progress to us, but outside of the BBN it barely registered. We can take a lot away from last season and be happy, we can see reasons to be hopeful going forward, but sports writers and the like have absolutely no reason to write anything other than what they usually write about UK football.

The sports world outside of BBN looked at the 4-4 and saw we beat 3 bad teams and a middle of the road SC. That is not worthy of much more than what it has gotten.

People also looked at us getting steam rolled at home by a mediocre ACC team. Then in a bowl game, our one chance to prove to the world that maybe we're ready for some love, we play like doo doo.

That respect for individual players and team in general that this board is hollering about doesn't come until we start winning 8-9 games consistently, once in a blue moon 10, and we start playing and wining some decent OOC games other than UL.

I was saying that going 4-4 in the SEC should garner some respect. So are you agreeing with my position or refuting it? It's very difficult to tell.

That middle of the road SC team that UK beat went 5-3 in conference and finished with 9 wins. BTW, those gamecocks did beat Vandy, they didn't win all three of their puff OOC games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
Must beat Florida and/or get over the 8 win hump before perception changes on a larger scale.

Just how it is and I cant say that it is wrong. If I wasn't a KY fan I'd probably have the same preconceived assessments.

I was saying that going 4-4 in the SEC should garner some respect. So are you agreeing with my position or refuting it? It's very difficult to tell.

That middle of the road SC team that UK beat went 5-3 in conference and finished with 9 wins. BTW, those gamecocks did beat Vandy, they didn't win all three of their puff OOC games.

I'm saying 4-4 means something to us, it means diddly to others. Both cases rightfully so.

As for SC, save a 3 year stretch under spurrier and a good season last year, historically they are a middle tier program.

Lol....what I'm reading is even if BEAT SCjr again it doesn't matter since they are historically middle of the road, and it doesn't matter if UK beats Florida and Tennessee again because they're 'down'.
So if these Cats win 8, 9 games it doesn't matter since the East is down.

Sounds like a mighty tough room.

I see nothing wrong with the writers list. Did not include nonpower 5 teams which means with us being 14th we would be higher ranked than we were last season.

OOC we won our two puff games and beat NCSU in Charlotte and lost to Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT