ADVERTISEMENT

Can we reverse the all-too-often giving up early points every single game this year?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Seems like last year especially, we gave up a scoring drive within the first 10 minutes of the game in addition to badly mishandling the 'middle eight' (last 4 minutes of the 1st half and first 4 minutes of 2nd half) more times than not and a few games that we gave up late scores (some didn't cost us, some did). Can we reverse that trend and score first consistently this year? Part of that, I think, was on the offense but part was on a defense that looked to me to be very passive and vanilla their first 2-3 series most games and we inevitably gave up points early thus putting more pressure on our slow-as-molasses offense last year.

Am I remembering incorrectly? I recall being behind early almost every game whether by 3 or 7. Then, we absolutely crapped the bed multiple games in the middle 8. Hope we can reverse those trends.

I'd really like to see our defense, right from the opening kickoff, being aggressive and attacking without taking ridiculous risks. Laying back in soft zones and giving up 3-5 yards on easy plays early seemed like a strategy we employed way too often for my tastes. Only after we got down a score did it seem like we switched things up to combat the opponent. Seems like we were always adjusting to what the offense was doing and not making THEM adjust to what we were doing on defense.

Reactions: cathouse
I don't particularly care about the strategy, I'm more in the old Al Davis camp of JUST WIN BABY! Whatever strategy Stoops and Company decide will get us the most Ws is fine with me. If that strategy isn't producing Ws then change it.

Ball St – They outscored us 7-3 in the first. We outscored them 34-7 in the 2-3rd.

EKU – Them 7-0 in the first. We outscored them 21-3 in the middle.

Akron – Us 7-0 in the first. We outscored them 14-3 in the middle

Vandy – US 21-0 in the first. 10-10 in the middle

Florida – US 16-0. 14-14 in middle

Georgia – Them 14-0. Them 30-13 in middle

Missou – Us 14-0. Them 20-7 in middle

UT – Them 10-0. Us 24-16

Miss St – Us 7-0. Us 17-3

Bama – Them 21-7. Them 14-7.

USC – Them 10-0. Us 14-0.

UL – Them 7-0. Us 21-17

Clemson – Us 7-3. US 14-7.

We outscored opponents 6 of 13 games in the first. We outscored 8 of the 13 in the 2nd-3rd.

Now granted, I didn't get very specific down to minutes as you brought up, but it seemed pretty decent overall.

Reactions: vhcat70
Ball St – They outscored us 7-3 in the first. We outscored them 34-7 in the 2-3rd.

UT – Them 10-0. Us 24-16

UL – Them 7-0. Us 21-17

We outscored opponents 6 of 13 games in the first. We outscored 8 of the 13 in the 2nd-3rd.

Now granted, I didn't get very specific down to minutes as you brought up, but it seemed pretty decent overall.

I guess I am remembering incorrectly. It sure seemed like we were constantly playing behind early but that's not accurate. Funny how one's memory focuses on and remembers things that aren't necessarily true.

• Haha
Reactions: vhcat70
I guess I am remembering incorrectly. It sure seemed like we were constantly playing behind early but that's not accurate. Funny how one's memory focuses on and remembers things that aren't necessarily true.

Keep in mind that I didn't break it down by minutes......only looked up the points by quarters. Maybe we did start a lot this yr flat and not score quickly in the 1st quarter, but got better as the 1st quarter progressed? Who knows?

Seems like last year especially, we gave up a scoring drive within the first 10 minutes of the game in addition to badly mishandling the 'middle eight' (last 4 minutes of the 1st half and first 4 minutes of 2nd half) more times than not and a few games that we gave up late scores (some didn't cost us, some did). Can we reverse that trend and score first consistently this year? Part of that, I think, was on the offense but part was on a defense that looked to me to be very passive and vanilla their first 2-3 series most games and we inevitably gave up points early thus putting more pressure on our slow-as-molasses offense last year.

Am I remembering incorrectly? I recall being behind early almost every game whether by 3 or 7. Then, we absolutely crapped the bed multiple games in the middle 8. Hope we can reverse those trends.

I'd really like to see our defense, right from the opening kickoff, being aggressive and attacking without taking ridiculous risks. Laying back in soft zones and giving up 3-5 yards on easy plays early seemed like a strategy we employed way too often for my tastes. Only after we got down a score did it seem like we switched things up to combat the opponent. Seems like we were always adjusting to what the offense was doing and not making THEM adjust to what we were doing on defense.
I've brought that up before that more often than not it seems, we give up cheap scores before the half, usually within the last two minutes of the second, not leaving us much time to respond in kind. And it always seems we do that to a team that gets the ball to start the second half. I really want that trend to end. Along with giving up 3rd and Longs repeatedly. We can play lights out defense for 2 downs, get a team behind the chains on a 3rd and 15 or something, and damned if we don't give up 18 yards on the 3rd down play. Hopefully this defense is ready to shed some of those curses this season. I would like to see them open games with a stop when we defer or the opponents otherwise get the ball first.

UT – Them 10-0. Us 24-16

UL – Them 7-0. Us 21-17

I don't think he was really acting like those issues necessarily cost us games, but if you look at drive charts from several of those games, you will see how we gave up unnecessary points in the waning minutes of the second quarter in several games. The Vandy game last year was the worst example of it. It has just made several games over the years a lot closer than they needed to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT