ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone splain to me?

Feb 9, 2011
I get it you are going to start certain guys. I am good with it for now. No problem. Lots of fire power sitting on bench waiting to come in to right the ship.

Below is any game not last night.

So, we had a first half. The five players that were most fluid and worked together best in the first half is determined. Two or three of the starters were not among these five. We often hear the first 5 minutes of the second half is key. Think FSU in 78 if you are old enough.

Why in the hell do we go back to the guys that proved they couldn't play in the first half to start the second half? How many coaches do this? Someone explain why this makes sense? Down 15 last night in a blink of an eye.

Last edited:
It’s a valid question though your recollection of last night in particular is questionable. 5 minutes into the second half we were plus 6 and had cut the deficit to 2.

The elbow to the face, in the cylinder call, jump started the next 5 minute stretch where it really went off the rails.

We are not a tough team regardless of all the stupid talk of dogs that we have. We’re physically and mentally soft.

Was t that our best 4 minutes of the game? Which really isnt saying much.
It’s a valid question though your recollection of last night in particular is questionable. 5 minutes into the second half we were plus 6 and had cut the deficit to 2.

The elbow to the face, in the cylinder call, jump started the next 5 minute stretch where it really went off the rails.

We are not a tough team regardless of all the stupid talk of dogs that we have. We’re physically and mentally soft.
We were down 2 with 15 to go.

I agree with what you are saying but don't think the first few minutes determined the blowout loss. That came later.

I'd start Z over Bradshaw and Shep over edwards though. Maybe Dilly over Wagner too. Changes need to be made but won't be sadly.
It is still valid though. Last night might be bad time to complain. Not sure a couple of starters brought much in that time.

Dilly should have been on the floor.

Last night was just a weird outcome that I don't think anyone could have seen coming. We have 6-8 players that shoot lights out from 3, and a few that can get to the rim whenever they want. That USC somehow shut down all of that was bizarre, or just a perfect storm.

However, I think the sub patterns really, really messed with our flow. Cal usually leaves guys in there much longer, but didn't. And, he had all sorts of odd mixed lineups - reminded me of his desperation to see what might "work" from years past, usually in the first two months. By now he should already have his team picked, including subs, barring foul issues. But there weren't many foul issues, so I was confused as to why Cal kept swapping our bigs and yanking Rob when he was hot.

And then there was Reed's worst performance of the year. Bad, sloppy passes, but I don't think it was enough to shove him on the bench for the rest of the game (which Cal did...). Credit USC though because they came in thinking as one defensive unit. Not one of their players were lazy on D. Lots of slapping and refs swallowed whistles, which of course builds a team's confidence and I think did play a role in why we sucked so badly. But ultimately we have to adjust and overcome that crap.

I will be shocked if we see another defense like that one last night. They were 100% juggernaut on defense and I guarantee they won't be in their next game (I will tune in out of curiosity).

We were down 2 with 15 to go.

I agree with what you are saying but don't think the first few minutes determined the blowout loss. That came later.

I'd start Z over Bradshaw and Shep over edwards though. Maybe Dilly over Wagner too. Changes need to be made but won't be sadly.

down 2 with 15 minutes to go but never really in the game after the 11 minute mark.

Not much good can you say about last night. I don't know of any team that can (or would try) to defend 35-40 foot jump shots. We see that every game no matter who it is. The uncontested lay-ups off an inbounds pass is another matter. If the coaches and players can't fix that how did they get to this level in the first place?

If I were a coach or player on the UK bench I would have been embarrassed to walk out of that gym last night and I would be mad as hell at the next practice.

Draft stock be damned ,that team made most of the UK team and staff look like a bunch of clowns. Who on this team has any pride? Based on last night, Mitchell, Reeves and Dillingham, you can stop counting right there

Last night was just a weird outcome that I don't think anyone could have seen coming. We have 6-8 players that shoot lights out from 3, and a few that can get to the rim whenever they want. That USC somehow shut down all of that was bizarre, or just a perfect storm.

However, I think the sub patterns really, really messed with our flow. Cal usually leaves guys in there much longer, but didn't. And, he had all sorts of odd mixed lineups - reminded me of his desperation to see what might "work" from years past, usually in the first two months. By now he should already have his team picked, including subs, barring foul issues. But there weren't many foul issues, so I was confused as to why Cal kept swapping our bigs and yanking Rob when he was hot.

And then there was Reed's worst performance of the year. Bad, sloppy passes, but I don't think it was enough to shove him on the bench for the rest of the game (which Cal did...). Credit USC though because they came in thinking as one defensive unit. Not one of their players were lazy on D. Lots of slapping and refs swallowed whistles, which of course builds a team's confidence and I think did play a role in why we sucked so badly. But ultimately we have to adjust and overcome that crap.

I will be shocked if we see another defense like that one last night. They were 100% juggernaut on defense and I guarantee they won't be in their next game (I will tune in out of curiosity).
"Get to the rim whenever they want"-Yes
Finish or get fouled at the rim- HARD NO!!!

This single aspect of the Cal offense has KILLED his "Dribble Drive Offense" for the past few seasons.

Couple that with ALL of our players(except for Reed and Dilly) being BAD passers and you get what we saw last night and in the other losses.

I thought Bradshaw played better than he had all year on defense in the 1st half and the start of the 2nd, but Cal insisted on using Ugo and Z and they got ABUSED.

We are going to see this type of HACKNIG defense from now on and hopefully Cal and Mitch can get something done at the SEC about it. It was TERRIBLE last night!! The Refs allowed USC to MUG us all night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT