ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain the BBM date this year for me

Jan 2, 2021
Seems like BBM is a week early this year and not on the same day as other programs. Is there a reason for this?

I thought it was always the second Friday in October which is the 11th this year. Hasn't that always been the general guideline?
That could be right, I’ve just noticed that it’s not the same weekend as other programs this year.

Didn't UK have it early like that one year under Gillispie thanks to some sort of loophole?

The rules use to say you would start practice the Friday closest to October 13. That changed several years ago (teams are already practicing).

But as mentioned above, I think it has been the 2nd weekend in October the past few years.

On a side note...is it time to do away with BBM and come up with something else? When it started, that was always the first day practice could start which is why Joe B. had the idea to do it at midnight and introduce the fans to the team. Today, they practice in the summer and have already started workouts/practice this fall. Combine that with social media videos posted by the athletics department and it seems that BBM isn't what it used to be. I used to enjoy BBM so much but now it is just meh in my opinion. Maybe that changes with Pope and we don't have to listen to Cal's "State of the Program" speech and the most boring "scrimmage" which is a term I use very loosely each year.

On a side note...is it time to do away with BBM and come up with something else? When it started, that was always the first day practice could start which is why Joe B. had the idea to do it at midnight and introduce the fans to the team. Today, they practice in the summer and have already started workouts/practice this fall. Combine that with social media videos posted by the athletics department and it seems that BBM isn't what it used to be. I used to enjoy BBM so much but now it is just meh in my opinion. Maybe that changes with Pope and we don't have to listen to Cal's "State of the Program" speech and the most boring "scrimmage" which is a term I use very loosely each year.
While Joe B was one the early adopters I believe Lefty Driesell is credited as the originator.

You make good points but it is a sellout.
I guess the answer to your question would be when fans stop attending.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT