ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Johnson looking at what Diallo, Bradley and Rawle Alkins Do

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
http://www.scout.com/college/north-...m_medium=HootSuitePost&utm_campaign=HootSuite

“There's no plan yet, but I would like to visit UNC. It's a dead period now, and that's made it tough. I wanted to get down there before the dead period, and they wanted me to get down there yesterday and the day before. But they had other functions and things were moving. We don't have anything planned, but it's a possibility from here.”

While figuring out any potential additional visits, Johnson is also keeping an eye on the NBA Draft decisions involving his schools under consideration.

“There's still some moving parts with the draft,” he said. “Some guys from Arizona (Rawle Alkins) and some guys from Kentucky (Hamidou Diallo). Once those moving pieces start to settle, other teams, too - even North Carolina with (Tony) Bradley - it will give me a clearer picture of everybody's roster. That'll be a sign to wait a little bit longer or not wait a little bit longer."

Makes sense that he is waiting to see where he might be needed most since he has already graduated and has played in the ACC for a couple of years. I have no problem with him waiting and not one of those fans demanding he make a decision right away. If it plays out right, he may be a Cat and we certainly can use him. Just wait and see.

Best case scenario all of those players return to their schools that way we can get both him and Diallo. If just Diallo returns Johnson likely ends up at Zona.

Well Diallo is apparently gone according to everyone on here so that should be good news with UK for Johnson.

Reactions: TM2013
He's playing it smart by waiting. I hope that he sees the opportunity here and wants to be a Cat, given we lose our starting SG to the draft.

Reactions: westerncat
It will be interesting to see what he does if both Diallo and Alkins stay in the draft.I think the playing time would be about equal.

Come on down, Mr Johnson! You and Diallo are different enough that there is plenty of room for both of you to do work. You can even play together just fine.

No, he told him he would be used like Monk.
IIRC, mdl has this 1 exactly right. Knox will be used offensively in a similar way to how Monk was used. That means a transition scorer and wing scorer with similar shot opportunities compared to Monk, meaning he can drive to the basket or shoot perimeter shots. Calipari uses positionless basketball as a selling point. But I have read a lot of analyses by people in the basketball business, and nobody who understands player development is saying Knox is a 2.

Pitt said if UNC he has to sit out a year...if outside of ACC he doesnt have to sit out.

If he sat out a year, would he get a sixth year? He'll be a junior, but with 2 yrs of eligibility. So, if he sat, he'd be a fifth year senior with 2 yrs of eligibility left.

If he sat out a year, would he get a sixth year? He'll be a junior, but with 2 yrs of eligibility. So, if he sat, he'd be a fifth year senior with 2 yrs of eligibility left.
The likely implication is that Cam Johnson won't be transferring to an ACC school. Everything I see suggests Johnson will go to UK or a PAC 12 school.

Hopefully, it's Diallo or Johnson.

I am good with that.

But, if we don't add another player, we are still in pretty good shape.

Would be nice to have another guard for depth.

Reactions: Brando Mac
If we lose Diallo to the NBA, Johnson would have no choice but to look at Kentucky even harder than before. It would be one of the best situations for his future. Knox will play some shooting guard. We all know Cal will stick to his word and try the kid at shooting guard, but we also all know that Knox will do the most damage at the sf or even pf spot. Even with Diallo returning, Kentucky still has room for Johnson and major playing time. I know Zona wouldn't be that bad of a situation, but when it comes to getting you drafted as high as possible in the NBA draft and a shot at a national championship, who would take Sean Miller over Cal? Not many. Without Diallo, Johnson probably starts and has a bigger role on a loaded roster full of Mcdonald All Americans. Since the kid can shoot the deep ball with the best of them, Kentucky has a place for the kid. I don't expect a superstar type of talent with Johnson, but it's not like we're talking about a scrub with the kid. I hope when it is all said and done the kid decides it's Kentucky and every fan can stop thinking we are going to suck shooting the 3.

I want who wants to be here. I hope Johnson feels that way we could really use him since the sentiment everywhere is Diallo 98% gone.

I think this gives UK a great chance especially with it being likely Diallo stays in the draft. I think there is a good chance at a win win. Diallo comes back or stays in draft and Cam comes

I thought that too until the Cam situation came along

I said this before, but nobody answered. I believe the issue is his being on scholarship, thus having to follow the transfer restriction. But that if he paid his own way, he could play right away. Not sure, so if anyone knows for sure, please opine.

Tar Heel Bradley leaning toward staying in draft per Goodman. Not official.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT