ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari wants SEC to take lead in being able to challenge late calls

Lose the challenge and lose a timeout or other team gets FTs and the ball?

Reactions: chroix
Fox almost stole a game from us because of the refs. He, like all other coaches in the league, will never do anything to alleviate rogue refs. They don't want an equal playing field. Surprised Cal even suggesting it. It's him against all on all fronts. Jealous coaches that is overwhelmed talent wise, most of the time too much for coaching to overcome so they need all the extra help they can get.

Bad idea from the "at the end of the game" moment. Each call is important whether it is the first or last.
Giving the officials ANOTHER opportunity to correct an error during the game is going to mean more poor officiating (Just make a call and let the replay correct us).
Much better to require the officials to make an immediate cal with no change option. More times than not, the call will be accurate.
We already have too many games stoppages looking at an out of bounds play.

Reactions: KMKAT
Bad idea from the "at the end of the game" moment. Each call is important whether it is the first or last.
Giving the officials ANOTHER opportunity to correct an error during the game is going to mean more poor officiating (Just make a call and let the replay correct us).
Much better to require the officials to make an immediate cal with no change option. More times than not, the call will be accurate.

Not.

Sorry but I'm all for making sure as many calls are correct if possible. And using a challenge to review a potential game changing play only increases the odds of that happening. And I don't know why you think most of the calls these refs make are correct. Obviously you haven't paid any attention to John Higgins lol.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Sorry but I'm all for making sure as many calls are correct if possible. And using a challenge to review a potential game changing play only increases the odds of that happening. And I don't know why you think most of the calls these refs make are correct. Obviously you haven't paid any attention to John Higgins lol.
The challenge rule is bad. If you watch NFL, you see what the end result is of officials relying on the replay to make the call. The officials delay their call, then converse and make a decision knowing full well they get a reprieve by letting the review determine the call.
Imagine that in basketball.

The challenge rule is bad. If you watch NFL, you see what the end result is of officials relying on the replay to make the call. The officials delay their call, then converse and make a decision knowing full well they get a reprieve by letting the review determine the call.
It might not be perfect but it would be an improvement over what we have now.

Corrupt refs get on their job from the get go. A call or two at the end won't make much difference when the corrupt ones are there for the whole game. Them knowing this new rule would just motivate them to be even more corrupt during the game so a call at the end of game would make any difference. Till the NCAA makes all refs do their jobs ethically nothing will ever change much.

Referees can decide the game way before the end of it. It's usually done in the first half with a couple of quick whistles limiting minutes to important players or on the other side refusing to call fouls on certain players keeping them in the game.

True but they park their butts by the monitors and delay games already now. The coaches might as well have a say in when they do it.

Reactions: chroix
I'm in the minority, but with Leon on this one.
The game is already being ruined by too many whistles and stoppages. Now we want to stop to review the stoppages?
No thanks.
Just give me better officiating with more accountability.

I am not a fan of the current situation. The officiating is very inconsistent and there is zero accountability. The issue I have with stopping the game more than it already is is that there are teams, like UK, that are deep and one advantage is wearing out the opposition. If you have the opponents starters gassed then stop the game, it allows them time for a breather and to come back in fresh. Reviewing a call would take at least 4-5 minutes, if not more.

...It's one call. One. What's that....2 minutes stoppage?
...It costs you a timeout (if you're wrong). Stoppage time recovered
...It rights a wrong, which (after all) is what we all want, right?
...You don't know the ego of Officials if you think they enjoy "making a call and letting the replay CORRECT them)

Corrupt refs get on their job from the get go. A call or two at the end won't make much difference when the corrupt ones are there for the whole game. Them knowing this new rule would just motivate them to be even more corrupt during the game so a call at the end of game would make any difference. Till the NCAA makes all refs do their jobs ethically nothing will ever change much.
When you say corrupt refs, to you believe they are being paid? If so, by who? I'm just curious if people think that these refs are being paid by sports book organizations, organized crime outfits, boosters of other programs? Is it personal vendettas or fandom that people believe are influencing refs calls?

I agree %1000 that, in general, officiating sucks and it would nice if there were a way to enforce more accountability.

When you say corrupt refs, to you believe they are being paid? If so, by who? I'm just curious if people think that these refs are being paid by sports book organizations, organized crime outfits, boosters of other programs? Is it personal vendettas or fandom that people believe are influencing refs calls?
Careful. You'll be clobbered by the conspiracy theorists who are convinced Officials are corrupt and organized to take down UK.

Reactions: TheAnonymous13
True but they park their butts by the monitors and delay games already now. The coaches might as well have a say in when they do it.
I think that should be eliminated as well. It is simply a way for a coach to get a free timeout.

This is an interesting idea but it seems like it would have to be limited to questions of possession only, which they do review in the final two minutes. Could they consider over turning fouls? Should they?

Side note: it makes me wonder if this had been in place during the TAMU game when Humphries got the T for slamming the ball how this would have gone? Could the booth overturn it in this scenario?

Too many profit time-outs....call it what it is...

Too many profit time-outs. Call it what it is...

I agree %1000 that, in general, officiating sucks and it would nice if there were a way to enforce more accountability.
Funny how when you look at our games over the years how those few rogue refs show up in a lot of games we had trouble in. Coincidence it's just those few? Anything possible but not likely when you are looking back several years. How are they corrupt and get away with it? Some of them could just be a life long UK hater. Maybe some are allowed to be just crap and the head of the refs just allows it because it is us. Maybe it is something deeper and more complex with the NCAA that is very hard to see from the outside. Maybe some of it is the refs working with bookies.

It could be a lot of different things but one thing is for sure. The evidence of studying games from years back and hooking the statistical pieces together that brings the rogues to the top. No denying that and if you do you would be just ignoring facts or thinking it's just not that big of a deal because it is basketball.

Just don't think the NCAA cares enough to improve their product so I doubt we will ever be able to eliminate the unethical and the ones that just don't care enough to fix it. Even the current head of the refs is allowed to do nothing with the worst refs, whoever is directly over him. And the NCAA head does not even care enough to make it better by holding that head of the refs accountable. Like one big political organization where everybody there has each others backs and mediocricy is the norm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT