ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari is a Bad Coach (why has this gotten lost?)

cchryno

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2021
I've gotten really frustrated over the last 4 days of discussions around NIL Chaos, more AD oversight, staff changes, getting older, etc as everyone seems to have lost sight of what matters most: None of this changes the fact that Calipari can no longer coach at a high level in CBB. He just can't.

If you were to look at the simplest elements of coaching (none of this other admin/GM/salesman garbage):
1. Preparation - notoriously bad. He admits he doesn't prep for other teams himself. This is constantly shown by our inability to attack gimmick defenses, defend particular star players (everyone has their best game against us).
2. Lineups - this isn't even about the starting line up (which is a joke), but just his overall rotations, usages, and lineup combos. They have consistently ignored any efficiency, +/-, and a slew of other modern stats that show which line ups perform best. Not only does Cal ignore it, he legit seems to choose lineups in spite of it.
3. In game adjustments - don't even get me started here. He's sucked at this his entire career.
4. Fundamentals - this last year's team was the most poorly coached, undisciplined defensive team I've ever seen. Search twitter for the review videos of how we can't hedge screens, don't position ourselves well on PNR, etc. It's all high school level defensive tactics and we do none of it.

I'm so over this sh*t. The discussion on Cal somehow veered off into bigger picture stuff, strategic adjustments, staff changes, etc. and none of it matters. Cal goes on a call in show with pre-selected "questions" and manages not to be a complete a$$hole for 1 hour and our media slobbers all over him. Cal could hire the best staff in the world, assemble the best roster in the world, have perfect alignment with Mitch and the donors and none of it would matter because at the end of the day he is the guy on the sidelines setting the wrong lineups, not making the adjustments and putting any and all talent in the best possible position to lose. He can not coach. What are we even doing here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News