ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari: “I’m going to live out this contract”

1. He should say all those things...live out the contract and take the program to another level.
2. His recruiting pitch is probably the same as it always has been....he did rake in amazing recruiting classes early in his tenure.....but it just feels lke NIL has moved the needle that we'll go back on top (i.e. Cal was not buying kids back in the day) and maybe K leaving helps. But if we get Dilly, Wagner, Edwards, Shepherd along with Bradshaw/Kingsley....that is amazing if it pans out that way.

Grab another Final4, keep the recruiting at the top of the ranks, and as long as he's putting one of the most talented teams on the floor.. I'm fine with it. You do that for 10 more years, and he's going to breakthrough in the tournament a few times.

If he said this a year ago? I wouldn't be too thrilled. But it's clear now, after the wins we had and the injuries we had to deal with.. that the atrocity of a season in 2020-21 was not the norm.

If he lands studs in recruiting every year…..I’ll stomach it.

He still absolutely, undeniably, sucks as an actual basketball coach.

This is lazy hyperbole. You can see he is an average bench coach or whatever, but you do not take UMASS & Memphis to the Final Four and suck as a coach. He basically took a team of a bunch of rejects with one great player to the Final Four at 2 different mid majors.

Even with the last 2 years awfulness (entirety of 1 and ending of this latest one), his overall resume at UK only trails Rupps & Pitino's. If he had left in 2019, he would be above Pitino due to 1 more Final Four to me...the last 2 years (3 if you include Covid, and surely some on here will blame that on Cal as well) have really lowered his legacy for sure.

I’m good with it. Hopefully he starts getting some of the adulation that Krzyzewski received in his later years.

And we can stop cluttering this board with threads about every flavor of the month coach being a candidate to replace him.

Could not be happier.
He still absolutely, undeniably, sucks as an actual basketball coach.
Yeah, that's how he managed to take UMass from absolutely nothing to the FInal Four, and revive Memphis to a championship game team, and take Kentucky to four Final Fours and a championship in five years - coming off an NIT year when he arrived.

Do they put lots of coaches who "absolutely, undeniably suck as an actual basketball coach" in the Hall of Fame? Name some of the others. I'm sure it would be an interesting list. Or is Cal the only one they missed on?

He will not live out the "Life Time" contract. I always believe each season will be special and I have fun with the ups and downs we experience.

Even with the 9 win team, I thought we were going to win every game. I don't know how to treat game day any other way.

I can still be snarky with situations, though.

• Wow
Reactions: chroix
Even with the 9 win team, I thought we were going to win every game. I don't know how to treat game day any other way.

I can still be snarky with situations, though.

You should really start questioning your own judgment.

Is it "hate" to point out that 9-16, Shaedon Sharpe's circus, and losing to a 15 seed are unacceptable.

I'm not sure I agree with that description.
How long and how many threads do you and the hate crew have to hijack every thread? Not one true fan is happy with the last 2 years final results but our Coach has made changes top to bottom and seems to be working harder now than at any point in this tenure here. If your a fan of the program let's embrace the changes and cheer the team on. If your just here for hate and constant bickering then give it break or leave.

Could not be happier.

Yeah, that's how he managed to take UMass from absolutely nothing to the FInal Four, and revive Memphis to a championship game team, and take Kentucky to four Final Fours and a championship in five years - coming off an NIT year when he arrived.

Do they put lots of coaches who "absolutely, undeniably suck as an actual basketball coach" in the Hall of Fame? Name some of the others. I'm sure it would be an interesting list. Or is Cal the only one they missed on?

He clearly just rolls the balls out. Isn't that what people used to say lol.

I don't care what the man's recruiting strengths are, you don't take Umass, Memphis AND Kentucky to final fours if you suck as an actual basketball coach.

How long and how many threads do you and the hate crew have to hijack every thread? Not one true fan is happy with the last 2 years final results but our Coach has made changes top to bottom and seems to be working harder now than at any point in this tenure here. If your a fan of the program let's embrace the changes and cheer the team on. If your just here for hate and constant bickering then give it break or leave.

Exactly. I think we are about to see a big uptick in recruiting (not that it was really ever all that bad) and I'm excited to see what the future brings.

Reactions: chroix
If Cal is hungry for that second title and extending his on court legacy, I’m all for it. Cal has grinded me down over the years, but a hungry and motivated Cal is still one of the best options out there today. I think this new staff is just what UK needed to get Cal motivated for his last run.

TBH I'm not really sure I buy the whole Cal is hungry and motivated thing. I feel like people say this just because results have not gone our way the past few years.

I think that when you win a title, do you get complacent? Yeah sure. We all saw what happened the following year. But I'm not really sure that Cal wasn't hungry in 2015 when we made a final four, or 2017 or 2019.........or last year.

I'm not sure it's really all about "hunger". Just hit a few HRs in recruiting and we very well could get to where we all feel this program should and needs to be. The hunger thing is just a narrative that people like to make out to be bigger than it actually is. Cal's personality, if he wasn't hungry, he wouldn't be coaching. He'd be off doing something else IMO.

He clearly just rolls the balls out. Isn't that what people used to say lol.

I don't care what the man's recruiting strengths are, you don't take Umass, Memphis AND Kentucky to final fours if you suck as an actual basketball coach.
Woah now. Cal has only taken three separate teams to the FF. Tubby took FIVE separate teams to the tourney and he’s the worst coach ever. You know since just any one could do that.

Is it "hate" to point out that 9-16, Shaedon Sharpe's circus, and losing to a 15 seed are unacceptable.

I'm not sure I agree with that description.
I’m right here with you, but until Cal flames out again, I’m ready to be optimistic about the future.

As always ask me again in March.

Without calling names, look what the full moon has brought everyone, negatives nancies all flock together. Evidently they have each other's phone numbers, they always show up seemingly at the same time on every post about Cal. It's comical, same ole post over & over, you don'even have to read them, just look at their user names.

• Haha
Reactions: YouKay and KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT