ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Lohner

Caleb Lohner entered the portal, seems very possible he's at UK next year... 5th year senior, played two years at BYU (where he started), and the last two years at Baylor where he was deep on the bench (10th in minutes last season). From what I've seen--effort guy, strong, tough, not super skilled. He would likely come in understanding he's a backup to Carr. Not a shooter, although he had his best shooting seasons when playing for Pope.

Matt Jones has mentioned the last week or so that there's a guy the staff wasn't sure if he would enter the portal, but if he did he would likely be at Kentucky. I have a feeling this is who he was referring to. I don't mind it--we need guys in back-up roles and there isn't a huge pool of players you can woo out of the portal to be the 10th man. With that said, I would rather get young guys with a few years of eligibility, where possible. I would be more interested in a guy like Lohner on a Cal team where we had a lot of youth, and might need an older, steadier player occasionally, but this team is like half 5th year guys.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He'd be a role guy (and we need those) but went down a rabbit hole on YouTube watching his videos. He'd be one of the more fun 11/12 guys we've ever had at Kentucky. I think the only downside is that he'd only be here a single season. Not a high ceiling guy, but could be serviceable when needed.

Caleb Lohner entered the portal, seems very possible he's at UK next year... 5th year senior, played two years at BYU (where he started), and the last two years at Baylor where he was deep on the bench (10th in minutes last season). From what I've seen--effort guy, strong, tough, not super skilled. He would likely come in understanding he's a backup to Carr. Not a shooter, although he had his best shooting seasons when playing for Pope.

Matt Jones has mentioned the last week or so that there's a guy the staff wasn't sure if he would enter the portal, but if he did he would likely be at Kentucky. I have a feeling this is who he was referring to. I don't mind it--we need guys in back-up roles and there isn't a huge pool of players you can woo out of the portal to be the 10th man. With that said, I would rather get young guys with a few years of eligibility, where possible. I would be more interested in a guy like Lohner on a Cal team where we had a lot of youth, and might need an older, steadier player occasionally, but this team is like half 5th year guys.
Wouldn’t be bad for depth. I know we need another 4, my hope is we grab Poplar, Robinson, Richmond, or Lanier. 2 of those and a backup 4. If we only get 1, then maybe a Peterson reclass. Wells didn’t get picked for the combine so I’d keep after him too.

Just poking fun. I don't think he should start. But he is. So I hope he proves me wrong for the betterment of the team.
Kid is a winner. SDSU was good every year he’s been there. I love the pickup. If he can win there, he can win here. If we get lucky and get 2 of the fringe NBA guys we want then he may not start, he will play a lot of minutes but it’s always nice to have a defender like him and another ball handler. Not to mention his experience and resume.

He’s a Mormon and former BYU guy. So there certainly is a common connection. Although I’m not sure this guy is good enough to help us as anything other than a bench player.

And, btw, why do so many mormon players have blonde curly hair? I can’t be the only one who’s noticed that.

Kid is a winner. SDSU was good every year he’s been there. I love the pickup. If he can win there, he can win here. If we get lucky and get 2 of the fringe NBA guys we want then he may not start, he will play a lot of minutes but it’s always nice to have a defender like him and another ball handler. Not to mention his experience and resume.
He's a fine bench piece. I agree.

Absolutely agree. We have to get out of the mindset that only 5 star players are what we need.
More to the game than flash. To many times I've seen freshmen that could score but play no defense or vice-versa. Todays game, you can't win with all freshmen. We have tried that.

I'm not saying this is the guy we need at the 9th or 10th spot. But let's remember we arent going to fill those spots with some high talent guys. Guys who are leaving the draft, aren't doing so to be a bench player here.

We're going to need some depth in case of injury or a player not panning out.

Matt Jones has mentioned the last week or so that there's a guy the staff wasn't sure if he would enter the portal, but if he did he would likely be at Kentucky.
Jones has a caller at the end of his show yesterday who asked about that and Matt said he didn't think the guy had entered the portal before the deadline. Apparently, the guy was ACC.

He wouldn’t be a bad bench piece and he wouldn’t cost us a scholarship player.
Why would he need to walk on? We still have four remaining scholarships. And he would only be here for one season, so it ain’t like he’d be taking up a scholly spot beyond next season.

I see no downside if we gave this guy one of of the 11th through 13th scholly spots for bench depth. Not every scholarship player can be a rotation player.

He put up good stats as a freshman and sophomore. As a fr7.0 ppg 7.1 rpg, 7.0 6.4 as a sophomore. I wonder what happened.

If he is walk on, let’s do it. If he plays well and earns a scholarship, more power to him.
He only has one season of eligibility left, so the “maybe you can later earn a scholly if you play well” pitch does not work for him. That’s what you tell freshmen walk ons, not 5th year seniors.

Either we offer him one from the start or we don’t. And since we have plenty available and dearly need bench depth, I’d have no problem with offering him one now ….presuming he’s willing to accept a very limited role.

Reactions: bluesundown
Just poking fun. I don't think he should start. But he is. So I hope he proves me wrong for the betterment of the team.
I keep seeing analysts call Butler a point guard. While a traditional floor general might not be as important in Pope’s offense — he is not a point guard. Which is why I would start Kriisa and bring Butler off the bench.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT