ADVERTISEMENT

Cal vs. Tubby - game on the line

10 seconds, down 2 with the ball, who's your BENCH coach?

• Total voters
I'll take Tubby in that scenario, Kentucky was down to Stanford by 10 and Duke by 17 and came back to win those games in the NCAA tournament. Nothing indicates good coaching like making adjustments and coming back down late in games.
To be fair, UK was down double digits to UL, Mich, and I believe Wisc (also down 9 to Wich St) and came back to win all those games in the 2014 tourney run.

I believe UK was down double digits to WVA in 2011 second round as well.

But as of late, comebacks/wins like those have been absent...unfortunately.

Reactions: dl51344
With the same players? How is this even a question?

I’m not even sure I’d choose Pitino or Krzyzewski over Tubby for one play in that situation. Bringing poor Cal into the picture is an outright joke.

Cal is a great coach. Tubby can't coach. I'll go with the great coach every time.

The High Point fans here will probably chose their loser coach.
You are delusional if think John Calipari is a great bench coach. No one that actually knows basketball believes that .

Reactions: dl51344
The difference in talent of those 2 teams was so vast , it doesn’t prove anything one way or the other.
So you are going to argue a team with Rodney Carney as their best player (who was still a great college player) and had very little other talent on the roster, had a vast edge in individual talent?

So you are going to argue a team with Rodney Carney as their best player (who was still a great college player) and had very little other talent on the roster, had a vast edge in individual talent?
Nope , I won’t argue. I’m going by memory and I was thinking this was the game where Billy Packer went on&on about how Tubby just didn’t have the horses Memphis had . I will absolutely admit I could be mistaken though.

Reactions: BigCat241
Nope , I won’t argue. I’m going by memory and I was thinking this was the game where Billy Packer went on&on about how Tubby just didn’t have the horses Memphis had . I will absolutely admit I could be mistaken though.
Fair enough, both teams were pretty lackluster IMO talent wise, although Cal did do a great coaching job and took that Memphis team pretty far. If only we had Memhpis/Umass Cal at the helm now.

Yeah , I don’t think it was because Sheray had been “hot”. My memory is Tubby said he drew up the play for Sheray because “ They wouldn’t expect it “.
😂 😂 Sounds more like it. I'm rough on Sheeeray but hell no they wouldn't expect it. Just cause he wore #23 doesn't mean he can be a decoy like MJ. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: yoshukai
Interesting question. For me, my lasting memory of Tubby was the 2005 Elite Eight game vs Mich St. UK had the ball, score tied at 81, at the end of the first OT. UK was guaranteed the last shot. Go to the 1:25 mark (one hour and 25 min mark) of the below game footage if you need a reminder of what happened...

Funny that John Higgins did that game.

I don't think it was Tubby's fault they couldn't get a rebound in OT.

• Sad
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Does anyone remember what happened when we played Memphis in Maui? I believe it was in 05.

Yeah it was the 05-06 season. That was Cal in his prime and Tubby at or near his low.

I think Walker nailed it. At least for me. Cal in his prime is a no contest. He was probably the best in the business for about 10 years from 06-15.

I don’t think Tubby ever reached that level. But at their lows, i’m taking Tubby. Tubby’s floor when he was here was 20+ wins and a 2nd round exit. That was the minimum. Cal’s is…9-16 and worst season in program history. Oof

Ofcourse that’s not exactly what the question is asking. But my answer would be the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT