ADVERTISEMENT

Cal: Pen Plays tonight! 12/6

Cal does not care all he is trying to do is get his guys to next level. He knows he cannot coach but he excels at getting players to the NBA so that is what he uses for his expectations and goals. If winning championships was his goal then he would see himself as a failure not the successful coach putting players in the NBA.

Not his fault but UK's for allowing it.
Yup. Cal moved the goal posts for his own self worth as a coach. It was a bold move and thanks to Mitch it paid off for him.

That's cool. Is it really as small as it looks? Cal said you are like back to front in there with knees in your back seating.
It was a fun gig. Although, the one year, St Joe’s arena was under construction so we hosted every Penn and St Joes and Big Five men’s and women’s games. That was 60+ home games. Brutal! We hosted some great games though. UNC came to play Penn there one year.

It’s actually not small in person. The height and arch of the ceiling plays a big role in that. It’s definitely tight as all the seats in the upper part are old wooden bleachers. It is as good as it gets for watching a college basketball game.

Fortunately our game is at WFC which is the size of Rupp. The Paelsta holds about 8k people...it is almost exact same size as Memorial.
I'd rather it be at the Palestra. Historically significant, different type venue.

But even Cal was like, "I'm not taking my young guys in there...." (paraphrasing mind you).

Tired of him running from stuff.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'd rather it be at the Palestra. Historically significant, different type venue.

But even Cal was like, "I'm not taking my young guys in there...." (paraphrasing mind you).

Tired of him running from stuff.
I would love for them to play in the Palestra. UNC played there in 2007 so Wayne Ellington could play in front of friends and family. In the picture below, in the bottom right corner, you can barely see the top of a door. That's actually the visiting locker room. Literally right off the floor. It's a tiny, old, locker room. I remember when I met the UNC team at the bus for drop off and showed them to the locker room, they burst out in laughter when they walked in. They couldn't believe it.

Kentucky actually beat Princeton in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in 1977 in the Palestra.

It also has amazing day lighting from all of the windows up top. Between the Palestra and Franklin Field (picture below) at Penn, there is no better combo of historic college venues. Across the board, Penn has great facilities for an Ivy League school.

V0A8762.jpg

9fa7f03d-eec8-4c2d-b011-50a40f5d48af.sized-1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
I would love for them to play in the Palestra. UNC played there in 2007 so Wayne Ellington could play in front of friends and family. In the picture below, in the bottom right corner, you can barely see the top of a door. That's actually the visiting locker room. Literally right off the floor. It's a tiny, old, locker room. I remember when I met the UNC team at the bus for drop off and showed them to the locker room, they burst out in laughter when they walked in. They couldn't believe it.

Kentucky actually beat Princeton in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in 1977 in the Palestra.

It also has amazing day lighting from all of the windows up top. Between the Palestra and Franklin Field (picture below) at Penn, there is no better combo of historic college venues. Across the board, Penn has great facilities for an Ivy League school.

V0A8762.jpg

That's a classic football stadium. I miss architecture that has both function AND form.

I quit trying to dissect every quote from UK coaches many years ago, maybe you should do the same. Coaches just talk to get through their radio show and interviews and that’s it. They rarely give any true insight to the game.
Yes, ignoring what he says is a good way to bury your head in the sand and pretend everything is fine.

I didn't realize that the UK-Penn game and Nova-UCLA game were not a double header. Our game is at noon and there game is at 7:00pm

With 3 point shooters our guys have to stay connected, they cannot help themselves wanting to cheat and get steals. One steal and breakaway may lead to plus 2 points but the other leads to minus 3. Do the math and stick with your guy.

Wow Kentucky playing a road game at Penn ? I am shocked how did this happen ? We better come ready to play they beat Villanova.

Wow Kentucky playing a road game at Penn ? I am shocked how did this happen ? We better come ready to play they beat Villanova.

Technically, it's a neutral game because it's at Wells Fargo (where the Sixers play), not at The Palestra.

Regardless, they just shot 21-34 from deep, and have connected on 40%+ percent of their 3's in over half of their games.

You know they will be falling Saturday, because why would they not?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Wagner playing saturday? it’s like he dropped off the planet. haven’t heard him mentioned in days.

Reactions: Fox2monk

V0A8762.jpg

While in the Army stationed at Edgewood Arsenal, MD, UK played Penn at the Palestra as part of a college doubleheader. Don’t remember the other two teams but think Manhattan was one of them.

Anyway, got tickets and drove up there with an army buddy. That UK team featured Issel, Pratt, and Casey. The Cats came out on fire. Will never forget that Penn called time out with exactly 11:33 left in the first half and UK was leading 33-11 and had not missed a shot from the floor or the line. Shortly thereafter Casey missed a shot but of course Cats won going away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT