ADVERTISEMENT

Cal doesn’t plan to change offense once bigs return

Bradshaw wouldn't be a problem because he would fit in perfectly with this style.
Not if we are feeding him and running the offense through getting him touches to appease klutch (already letting him play the 4)

My hope is Cal is all about the guard dominant offense and sticks to it bc Wagner is the guard and the family history they have. Since Wagner is Cals ppl, maybe Cal wants Wagner to be the focal point….that means the guards are the focus….that means good news for Kentucky and our offense.

Cals best teams dating back to Memphis, are all guard dominant offensively with capable bigs playing a specific role…not running the O through them. The UMASS Camby team being the exception…

At this point, why would anyone believe anything he says? He probably really means that our offense will be the same as it has been for years - no offense.
I agree- I watch other teams and it seems they actually run plays etc but when I watch us, we do the dribble handoff at the top of the key for 90% of the shot clock and then he yells "Go"

Not if we are feeding him and running the offense through getting him touches to appease klutch (already letting him play the 4)

My hope is Cal is all about the guard dominant offense and sticks to it bc Wagner is the guard and the family history they have. Since Wagner is Cals ppl, maybe Cal wants Wagner to be the focal point….that means the guards are the focus….that means good news for Kentucky and our offense.

Cals best teams dating back to Memphis, are all guard dominant offensively with capable bigs playing a specific role…not running the O through them. The UMASS Camby team being the exception…
Good post.

I think we will be at our best when Wagner has the ball in his hands trying to create with the ball. Get to the rim and score or get fouled. Lob to Onyenso or Bradshaw. Kick out to Reeves, Edwards, Mitchell, Sheppard, or Bradshaw for the 3.

Same for Dillingham, when he is in.

We have the guards this year that can break down a defense and disrupt it.

We should also have the shooters to prevent teams from sagging off or playing zone the majority of the time. Sheppard, Edwards, Reeves, and Mitchell should all be deadly weapons to use against the zone.

And although Mitchell won’t post up a lot, he can make things happen in the post with his passing. He is a much better passer out of the post than Tshiebwe.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I could see this tweak possibly depending on matchups, and that is Bradshaw takes the place of thiero. Leaving Mitchell at the 5. But on defense Bradshaw could take their five and move Mitchell to take the four, again depending on matchups. Bradshaw is stronger facing the basket rather than having his back to the basket so I can see that tweak being more in line with what calipari wants to accomplish.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucsrule8872
I could see this tweak possibly depending on matchups, and that is Bradshaw takes the place of thiero. Leaving Mitchell at the 5. But on defense Bradshaw could take their five and move Mitchell to take the four, again depending on matchups. Bradshaw is stronger facing the basket rather than having his back to the basket so I can see that tweak being more in line with what calipari wants to accomplish.
I’ve mentioned this before, Mitchell plays the 4 and Bradshaw the 5 on defense, then Bradshaw plays the 4 and Mitchell plays the 5 on offense.

Not every possession, but depending on matchups, like you said.

I kind of see Mitchell and Bradshaw as a poor man’s Jones and Davis.

But right now, my concern is Bradshaw’s health. When will he be ready to go? Will he be 100%? Will this be a nagging, lingering issue?

Same worries with Onyenso.

I agree- I watch other teams and it seems they actually run plays etc but when I watch us, we do the dribble handoff at the top of the key for 90% of the shot clock and then he yells "Go"
Seems? They DO run plays. When guys seem to know where they're going without the ball, then they're running plays. Cal does not run plays. His style of play reminds me a lot of 2K or EA sports basketball. Move a player. Make a pass. Move a player, and catch the pass. Shoot the ball or pass. Move a player. And so on. It's not fluid at all because guys without the ball don't have any roles other than setting a pick or picking up boards. Very one dimensional.

Cal has finally figured out what what we've been yelling about for 3 years now - SPACING is the number one component to any offense! You dont need a set offense at all, just space the floor and let your guys dribble drive to create shots for each other. Now it does help to have as many guys on the floor as possible who can dribble and move and drive, drive and kick it to others so I'm in favor of 3 guards no matter what. But he can still run good offense with two guards and three bigger guys as long he keeps them spaced out and all of them learn how to catch, drive and kick.

Seems? They DO run plays. When guys seem to know where they're going without the ball, then they're running plays. Cal does not run plays. His style of play reminds me a lot of 2K or EA sports basketball. Move a player. Make a pass. Move a player, and catch the pass. Shoot the ball or pass. Move a player. And so on. It's not fluid at all because guys without the ball don't have any roles other than setting a pick or picking up boards. Very one dimensional.
= AAU ball.

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT