ADVERTISEMENT

Cal doesn’t plan to change offense once bigs return

Suspicious Will Ferrell GIF

That is the problem in the past, our offense was like Paste. Hopefully we get a fast paced offense. Just saw that and it was funny to me. Sorry.

Not having a true 5 man might actually force Cal into the 21st century.

Offensively, I like the idea of a smaller lineup with Mitchell at the 5. It spreads the floor and opens up driving lanes.

The concern is defense and rebounding. We would likely struggle on the boards and without a rim protector inside opponents might get a lot of easy baskets at the rim.

But if Cal can keep the offense flowing once the bigs return and add some shot blocking/rim protection to the equation, this could be a really fun team to watch.

Sounds great but how does onyenso fit into the clips I saw of these games? Looks like big spend alot of time outside and not sure how that fits him

Sounds great but how does onyenso fit into the clips I saw of these games? Looks like big spend alot of time outside and not sure how that fits him
He doesn’t really. He is not someone you are going to force feed in the paint so you aren’t going to park him there and if floats outside his man will just sag off him and cut off drives to the basket.

I think it’s difficult to not return to your comfort zone when things get tough. So when things are not going well in a SEC or NCAA tournament game it might not be easy for him to keep playing a 5 out or wide open game when that’s not what he’s comfortable doing.

"5 out" means nobody is in position to rebound. That is just the reality of it. If neither 7 footer can shoot, something's gotta give. Rebounding is an actual part of the game that can't be wished away with magical thinking. Apparently Bradshaw was a good shooter in HS. So, here's hoping everyone can be happy.

I think it’s difficult to not return to your comfort zone when things get tough. So when things are not going well in a SEC or NCAA tournament game it might not be easy for him to keep playing a 5 out or wide open game when that’s not what he’s comfortable doing.
My thoughts, too. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed he will keep the offense similar to what we saw in Canada. Guess we’ll know when we start playing legit competition.

"5 out" means nobody is in position to rebound. That is just the reality of it. If neither 7 footer can shoot, something's gotta give. Rebounding is an actual part of the game that can't be wished away with magical thinking. Apparently Bradshaw was a good shooter in HS. So, here's hoping everyone can be happy.
Bradshaw has a nice mid-range shot. And he's mobile. Didn't really know what to expect from Ugo as a sophomore but that body transformation and those 6 blocks in the scrimmage against Africa tell me we want him back healthy.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

Offensively, I like the idea of a smaller lineup with Mitchell at the 5. It spreads the floor and opens up driving lanes.

The concern is defense and rebounding. We would likely struggle on the boards and without a rim protector inside opponents might get a lot of easy baskets at the rim.

But if Cal can keep the offense flowing once the bigs return and add some shot blocking/rim protection to the equation, this could be a really fun team to watch.
That's what's nice about having Ugonna especially. There will be nights where he plays more because of his needed shot blocking and rim protection.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
A good majority of outside shot misses end up in a long rebound so yes we are in position to rebound.

I totally understand the skepticism as Cal is as stubborn as they come. But it really seems Welch has forced him to change. I believe the mid-range shots are truly dying and we are going to do 3’s and layups like the rest of the basketball world. I agree that UGO doesn’t fit with the rest of the roster and really neither does Dillingham at this moment. I could see a lot of traditional pick and roll with the backup squad using Rob and Ugo.

I totally understand the skepticism as Cal is as stubborn as they come. But it really seems Welch has forced him to change. I believe the mid-range shots are truly dying and we are going to do 3’s and layups like the rest of the basketball world. I agree that UGO doesn’t fit with the rest of the roster and really neither does Dillingham at this moment. I could see a lot of traditional pick and roll with the backup squad using Rob and Ugo.
How does it "really seem" as if Welch has forced him to change? It was a couple of exhibition games where we didn't have our tallest players available. Not sure you can draw much from that.

Reactions: KFuqua and NociHTTP
Mid range jump shots have been dead for several years. Only cal’s offense has kept it breathing and on life support.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Because he’s never lied to anyone.

As for pace, we have always been in the top 10% of college basketball. With 2 notable exceptions.

No man I don’t see us doing much without a legit post player. Taking mid range jumpers with no rebounders we will lose a lot of games. I m still at a loss why people think teams are winning the ncaa T without big men. I know what’s happening in the nba but college you have to have a either a massive wide body like OT who eats glass and a guy who can guard the post. This isn’t the nba or intl rules Canada. Once cal puts a team out with no post presence he will learn the hard way.

The last two titles these guys in the post were a massive difference. Baylor played a bunch of men 6-8 or better I remember uva had many big guys on their roster as well.

UCOnn sanogo
KU McCormick
Kentucky 2024 no one like that. Mitchell is a nice compliment but he’s it right now. That’s all we have. Im not a buyer of the so called modern basketball. In the ncaa you still need a post guy and you cannot concede interior defense and rebounding and expect to make a run. There’s too much junk defense and if you have no post player in March you go home early. 2015 we do not make the final four without exploiting nd inside with towns. Gotta be able to defend and rebound.

I might be remembering things wrong, but other than Cousins, KAT and Oscar, when has Cal's offense gone through the post? Davis was great, but the offense didn't really run through him in the post. I think on certain teams he had to because that was the best option (before you say its his fault they were the best players, I get that argument). When you have the guards to play like we did with Monk and Fox, while Bam was a good post player, the offense wasn't drug down by just feeding the post. I understand recency, and think that is what is causing all of the complaining about this.

Reactions: grevey35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT