ADVERTISEMENT

Cal 3 point shooting quote

Maybe because our guards are being asked to slack off their man to help out with big men who aren't very good. Now they are left scrambling. Nah that can't be it coach. Nevermind.

I noticed that too. Too many double teams on guys in the paint and then our guards running back to close out on a 3, but it's too late.

The thing is.. is that coaching instruction or players biting too often for a double team or a steal?

I mean our bigs are still decent, and we have a lot of size. Is Cal really what worried about them that he wants our guards to cave in on the paint so much? Idk..

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Probably because there's no one on this team that could guard anyone in a phone booth.
It really seems like some of these guys are just awful on ball defenders. It almost feels like if the opponent just dribbles around for enough time they'll be able to beat anyone of our guys off the dribble because they just break down defensively.

I noticed that too. Too many double teams on guys in the paint and then our guards running back to close out on a 3, but it's too late.

The thing is.. is that coaching instruction or players biting too often for a double team or a steal?

I mean our bigs are still decent, and we have a lot of size. Is Cal really what worried about them that he wants our guards to cave in on the paint so much? Idk..

It's been happening all season. Im gonna say they are being coached to do that.

Everytime the ball is driven whoever is guarding the corners crashes all the way into the lane. It's been going on for 4-5 games that I've noticed. Plus 90% of the time on a high ball screen both defenders go with the ball. If I'm sitting on my couch calling it out 20 times a game then assistant coaches are scouting us for 8 minutes and taking an early night home. At some point we have to leave the bigs on an island in the paint and whatever happens happens. We aren't going to lose a lot of games giving up 2s, but if we give teams 15 open 3s a game we're going to continue to struggle. These are d1 players, they can all shoot 50%+ on warm up jumpers.

I'm guessing a little of both. One of the reasons we love Reed so much is how he's always swiping at the ball and picks up some great steals. Part of why he gets those steals is because he's gambling a bit and selling out to get them. Looks like a great play when it works, not so much when it leaves his guy open for a 3. And it's not just him that does it.

It's been happening all season. Im gonna say they are being coached to do that.

I don't know.. something tells me Cal isn't happy about guys not getting back to their man and giving up a 3pt shot. We've always been pretty good with defense under him and THIS year is a real outlier. I'd guess it's personnel related (which, ultimately, is still Cals fault).

This teams 3 pt defense is hope they miss.
Yes!

And several people on this board were pointing to the Kansas guard being a poor shooter and having a career night etc. but the reality is the dude is a 40% three-point shooter who doesn’t look for his shot much. But we invited him to shoot wide-open threes that night and he accepted the invitation. And this whole season we seem to be inviting others to shoot as well.

And maybe Cal doesn’t realize it, but even guys who don’t shoot 40% may very well shoot 40% when you leave them wide-open, especially in the short corner.

Last edited:

Pitino double teamed a lot, but never gave up the wide open 3 point shot like this

Pitino double teamed a lot, but never gave up the wide open 3 point shot like this

Well, in this instance, it's poor execution. Which again, still falls on the coach.

But I don't think this is SO much of Cal doing something wrong (ie. Not coaching defense) but instead, not having proper control over the team (ie. Not breaking bad habits in a timely manner). If Edwards or DJ makes this mistake.. you treat it the same way if a walk on does it. Hard coaching. Discipline and accountability.

Reactions: NociHTTP

Or maybe because Kentucky lets teams get 3s with nobody within 10 feet of the guy, and actively lets teams get good looks off all game
Disclaimer, we are not good at defense. That said, go back and watch the near logo shot that Meechie made followed by the insane step back 3 from Cooper to beat the shot clock at 11:30 mark of the 2nd half. Those are 2 prime examples of what Cal is talking about and honestly it pisses me off too. You can bitch about our defense, I do too. But they aren’t hitting those against other teams. It’s a tale as old as time. Watch any other South Carolina game, I have. They’re not trying this hard and they’re not hitting this level of difficulty of shots. Even on shots where we leave them open, they still shoot way above their average. They miss wide open ones against other teams. Im sure the scouting report says they suck at 3s. Cal has to realize this is uk. Teams don’t miss against us. Watch their next game and place money on them to lose and not shoot well. You’ll be glad you did.

Disclaimer, we are not good at defense. That said, go back and watch the near logo shot that Meechie made followed by the insane step back 3 from Cooper to beat the shot clock at 11:30 mark of the 2nd half. Those are 2 prime examples of what Cal is talking about and honestly it pisses me off too. You can bitch about our defense, I do too. But they aren’t hitting those against other teams. It’s a tale as old as time. Watch any other South Carolina game, I have. They’re not trying this hard and they’re not hitting this level of difficulty of shots. Even on shots where we leave them open, they still shoot way above their average. They miss wide open ones against other teams. Im sure the scouting report says they suck at 3s. Cal has to realize this is uk. Teams don’t miss against us. Watch their next game and place money on them to lose and not shoot well. You’ll be glad you did.
Yeah those 2 are outliers but Kentucky literally leaves guys wide open

Oh my not a solution but a bunch of excuses it’s your job to stop them Coach

Reactions: NociHTTP
Probably because there's no one on this team that could guard anyone in a phone booth.
To be fair, Mitchell DID guard someone inside a phone booth (excuse me, “cylinder”) and his chin fouled the guy’s elbow lol. Instead of FTs and the ball, USCJr gets the ball and promptly drains a 3 lol.

IDGAF what the rules say, does anyone think refs would call that foul on anyone else other than a team coached by Cal? If it’s Bill Self, K, Izzo, etc that’s a F1. But Cal is so hated by the ref fraternity, we’re never getting those calls

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT