ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlyn Clark

This is supposed to be one of the greatest college players in this era? Careless turnovers, 5 second violation, missing free throws.

I know everyone is dying to know after that Caitlin Clarke deep 3.. but Schenectady is a city about 10 miles form Albany. Also where Pat Riley played HS basketball.

I've always been torn on Pete. Extreme volume shooter that would make steph curry blush. Ranks at 73 on the top 75 list.

She's going to be near the top of women's rankings if not the top in college. Has a much more rounded game. Best they came up with was comparing her to the 73 best male player because of scoring stats.

Maravich never won anything of consequence. He deserves his spot among the men. She deserves her spot among the women. And that's the way it should be.

For the record, my high-school team in the 90s would have ate her alive as she is now. A 6'8 center played college bball div III. 6'6 wing that played at UAB, a 6'3 guard that played small div I. They didn't make it past the first round of the ky sweet 16. Drew the eventual champ in round 1.

Anyway they would have ran her off the court. Just a different game.

She's great. For a girl.

Wait a second… are you telling me sometimes the media hypes players up to get a good story?

Of course they do, but it’s also a pretty cool story and she is on 🔥.

I believe the narrative is driven for the purpose of assisting women’s basketball. There won’t be a four year male star who challenges Maravich’s record, but if there was, the hype would not be what we have seen for Clark, IMO.

....on the sidewalk .
They don’t belong in the sidewalk, it has the word walk in it, plus they’re literally SUPPOSED to be on the road. That’s why they have pictures of bicycles painted on the street lol.

Now actual cyclists on backroads holding up traffic is annoying, in city streets as a form of commuting is fine.

I believe the narrative is driven for the purpose of assisting women’s basketball. There won’t be a four year male star who challenges Maravich’s record, but if there was, the hype would not be what we have seen for Clark, IMO.
“IMO” so you don’t know but just assume? You don’t think if there’s a guy putting up 40 ppg on 40 fga per game for a power 5 team they’re not going to talk about it a lot? As you said it won’t happen, that’s because of nba money and the fact we’ve seen guys do it before.

That’s part of why it’s a big deal right now, no one has seen this before.

They don’t belong in the sidewalk, it has the word walk in it, plus they’re literally SUPPOSED to be on the road. That’s why they have pictures of bicycles painted on the street lol.

Now actual cyclists on backroads holding up traffic is annoying, in city streets as a form of commuting is fine.

Sometimes you scare me. What year do you live in?

• Haha
Reactions: roguemocha

LOL - making this a bike thread sounds great.

In Portland, Oregon, where there are more proud biker riders than anywhere I have been, a young man driving a van for the hotel I was staying surprised me. He was in his 20s and grew up in Portland. I commented on how cool it was to see so many bikes, people at rush hour heading home from work (my friend there often brags about how many miles he puts on his bike in a year, along with his low energy appliances, solar power, etc.). The 20-something kid said he hated all the bikers, because so many of them thought they rule the road. A Portland kid complaining about the hubris of Portland bike riders. LOL

“IMO” so you don’t know but just assume? You don’t think if there’s a guy putting up 40 ppg on 40 fga per game for a power 5 team they’re not going to talk about it a lot? As you said it won’t happen, that’s because of nba money and the fact we’ve seen guys do it before.

That’s part of why it’s a big deal right now, no one has seen this before.

It’s clearly an opinion, put there so some jackleg won’t ask me to prove my theory. Wow. Dude, pull back on the reigns a tad.

I think a dude rolling up big numbers, especially in the tourney gets hyped, but not like Clark. It’s an opinion about a hypothetical. It’s not wild speculation or anything worth arguing about. Just an observation. 🙄

The ones that are rude or won’t get over…remember, you’re in a car if you slowly keep creeping up they’re going to get over, I do it all the time.

If they wave their hands and get mad I smile, wtf are they going to do?

It’s clearly an opinion, put there so some jackleg won’t ask me to prove my theory. Wow. Dude, pull back on the reigns a tad.

I think a dude rolling up big numbers, especially in the tourney gets hyped, but not like Clark. It’s an opinion about a hypothetical. It’s not wild speculation or anything worth arguing about. Just an observation. 🙄
What’s the point of giving an opinion on a subject you know will not be proven then, lol? It’s worthless, anyone could say they think anything will happen.

What’s the point of giving an opinion on a subject you know will not be proven then, lol? It’s worthless, anyone could say they think anything will happen.

Great point Rogue. What was I thinking speculating about a comparable male athlete and how that might be addressed. Crazy old man morning stuff. Back to the bikes!!!

• Love
Reactions: roguemocha
Yes, why is it wrong if they’re taking up room they shouldn’t and won’t get over?

Someone else doesn’t get to decide to waste my time. They fully belong on the road but shouldn’t expect people to wait longer so they can exercise.

Let’s say the biker panics or falls in front of you. Now you are civilly liable and may be facing criminal charges. There are also decency reasons, but I think that is reason enough. Good luck.

Let’s say the biker panics or falls in front of you. Now you are civilly liable and may be facing criminal charges. There are also decency reasons, but I think that is reason enough. Good luck.
If a biker wrecks in front of me I’m civilly liable for hitting them? I don’t think so but whatever.

You may be in trouble, but you’d be doing the Lord’s work for removing a biker from the road and you’ll be rewarded for eternity.

If a biker wrecks in front of me I’m civilly liable for hitting them? I don’t think so but whatever.

Yeah, if you are tailing too close and they have a mishap and you hit them, you’re are going to get sued and you are not going to like the result.

No doubt CC is a once in a lifetime female talent. What she is doing, in my opinion, has never been seen in the women's game before. She is most definitely driving the explosion seen in TV ratings for women's basketball, no doubt.

The problem, that corporate media will see next year, is that she alone is driving the ratings. They are making the false assumption that there has been some type of renaissance in women's bball as a whole, which will continue on year after year.

It is literally only CC that ppl are tuning in to see.

For example, on Sunday was both men and women's elite 8 games. Duke NCST had over 15 million viewers, UT Purdue had over 10 million. The two women's games each had a little over 2 million viewers each.

Also, for the opening rounds, men's games averaged just under 10 million. Women's averaged around 1 million.

I would expect WNBA ratings to increase b/c of CC, but women's college ratings will decrease sharply, and come back closer to historical viewing numbers.

The women’s game would get more viewers if there were more CCs and better front court athletes. It is small ball with the bigs have very little athleticism.

They bashed you because it is comparable. Women are smaller, of course they use a smaller ball. Kids use smaller balls too because they’re smaller…

I dont see it. Different number of years played, different competition levels, etc. Maravich also didn't get his freshmen stats counted.

I saw your comment about mostly white guys pete went against too. Let's not pretend those white guys wouldn't win every game by 40 to 50 if matched up against the best modern women's teams.

No doubt CC is a once in a lifetime female talent. What she is doing, in my opinion, has never been seen in the women's game before. She is most definitely driving the explosion seen in TV ratings for women's basketball, no doubt.

The problem, that corporate media will see next year, is that she alone is driving the ratings. They are making the false assumption that there has been some type of renaissance in women's bball as a whole, which will continue on year after year.

It is literally only CC that ppl are tuning in to see.

For example, on Sunday was both men and women's elite 8 games. Duke NCST had over 15 million viewers, UT Purdue had over 10 million. The two women's games each had a little over 2 million viewers each.

Also, for the opening rounds, men's games averaged just under 10 million. Women's averaged around 1 million.

I would expect WNBA ratings to increase b/c of CC, but women's college ratings will decrease sharply, and come back closer to historical viewing numbers.
Where are you getting your info? I just happened to see this in the paper this AM:

The average viewership for Iowa's win over LSU in the Elite Eight was 12.3 million people.

It had more viewership than four out of five games in the 2022-2023 NBA Final and toppled last year's World Series, which garnered 11.48 million viewers.

Viewership peaked at 16.1 million, making it ESPN's second-highest audience for any basketball game
since 2012.

Where are you getting your info? I just happened to see this in the paper this AM:

The average viewership for Iowa's win over LSU in the Elite Eight was 12.3 million people.

It had more viewership than four out of five games in the 2022-2023 NBA Final and toppled last year's World Series, which garnered 11.48 million viewers.

Viewership peaked at 16.1 million, making it ESPN's second-highest audience for any basketball game
since 2012.
Think he stated people are tuning in for CC. That is a game CC played in.

Especially because Pete's freshman year numbers aren't even included in his total. He averaged 40+/game that year too
And no shot clock.

On the other hand...the sec was segregated, so he was playing against farmers at some schools

And no shot clock.

On the other hand...the sec was segregated, so he was playing against farmers at some schools
He also played several years in the NBA. 5 time NBA. All-star. Led the NBA in scoring in 1977. So let’s not try to knock his career.

Reactions: JDHoss
Wait, the media is hyping something to drive up viewership, which in turn drives up revenues and profits? Surely such a thing has never been done before CC came along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT