ADVERTISEMENT

BYU's "honor code" for recruits

This should not even be talked about or mentioned unless your trying to harm UK with recruits. BYU is not UK and the BBN could give a shit what BYU requires of recruits. At UK be prepared to get in the best shape of your life under Coach Pope.
Very tactfully written.

UK has an honor code too.

Win the SEC regular season and/or tourney, preferably both.

Advance at least a couple of games into the big dance.

I'm not sure why this is such news to people. A religious school has an honor code. They all do.

The Military Academies have codes.

The smart and/or rich private schools have codes essentially via their academic criteria and price tag.

-Don't be poor
-Don't be stupid
-Most definitely don't be both

UK has an honor code too.

Win the SEC regular season and/or tourney, preferably both.

Advance at least a couple of games into the big dance.

I'm not sure why this is such news to people. A religious school has an honor code. They all do.

The Military Academies have codes.

The smart and/or rich private schools have codes essentially via their academic criteria and price tag.

-Don't be poor
-Don't be stupid
-Most definitely don't be both

If I may ask, what's the reasoning behind coffee (and presumably tea?) not being allowed, but other forms of caffeine being allowed? I'm genuinely intrigued.
I appreciate the curiosity. I'll be honest having Mark Pope hired as the coach has me nervous for all sorts of non-basketball reasons. I think the questions are nice, it is interesting to see some people's thoughts on the honor code. I am worried about the backlash if things don't work out. With that said there are 2 things I'm not going to do on here. First, I am not going to try and convince anybody of anything. Second, I am not going to spend time defending my beliefs. There are already people who generally do not like religion, or specifically do not like Mormons. I am not going to respond to any of those posts. This is a basketball board.

With that said, I'm not sure what the answer is. It's just sort of odd that one form is prohibited. There probably is a technical answer. But for me it doesn't matter. I have never had coffee so I don't feel like I am missing anything. The other parts of the honor code are all just pretty standard lifestyle choices for LDS folks. So it doesn't really feel restrictive.

Reactions: JB_Cat
It's a religious/old world mindset thing. For example, for most of its existence Chick-fil-a wouldn't let their employees have facial hair either. They've only just recently seemed to have rolled back that, or at least that is the case at the Chick-fil-a I went to last month where I saw several employees on duty with facial hair.

Brigham Young loved facial hair

Brigham_Young_by_Charles_William_Carter.jpg

At least one of those kids is now committed to UK. Respecting them and their religion should not be difficult for fans. Not having premarital sex as a young man is a difficult thing in today’s culture, because men act like having sex is so important to their very being. But, saving yourself for that one person can be a gift in your relationship. Why it matters to fans of other schools is really hard to imagine.

BYU is a Mormon school. Duh.
Ok…. I’m just saying I think the vast majority of D1 prospects are turned away by that alone. The player who is coming to UK is you guessed it, Mormon! Most of them want to play at a big school and have fun on college. It’s just the way it is.

I knew about the honor code, but I didn't know about the beard ban. Odd.

Reactions: UK90
If I may ask, what's the reasoning behind coffee (and presumably tea?) not being allowed, but other forms of caffeine being allowed? I'm genuinely intrigued.
I googled and found this …

Reactions: JB_Cat
Brigham Young loved facial hair

Brigham_Young_by_Charles_William_Carter.jpg
I googled and found this …

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
I am not concerned with Mormon lifestyle and other restrictions, but must say I am very glad CMP has no religious restrictions regarding the use of NIL$$$ and the transfer portal. He seems very committed to using both fully … and knows he must to be successful at UK.
GO CATS !!!

I appreciate the curiosity. I'll be honest having Mark Pope hired as the coach has me nervous for all sorts of non-basketball reasons. I think the questions are nice, it is interesting to see some people's thoughts on the honor code. I am worried about the backlash if things don't work out. With that said there are 2 things I'm not going to do on here. First, I am not going to try and convince anybody of anything. Second, I am not going to spend time defending my beliefs. There are already people who generally do not like religion, or specifically do not like Mormons. I am not going to respond to any of those posts. This is a basketball board.

With that said, I'm not sure what the answer is. It's just sort of odd that one form is prohibited. There probably is a technical answer. But for me it doesn't matter. I have never had coffee so I don't feel like I am missing anything. The other parts of the honor code are all just pretty standard lifestyle choices for LDS folks. So it doesn't really feel restrictive.
Thank you for the response. Even though I'm not Mormon (born and raised Catholic), I too, was worried about the attack on Pope's beliefs. But people will attack the most prevalent thing when/if they're upset. I'm happy to have someone leading the program who is just as passionate as all of us crazies.

Reactions: gossie21
Always amusing reading sheltered siloed inexperienced with different values folks discover facts about the Mormon faith that has existed for 200 yrs

"hOw Do ThEy GeT aNy ReCrUiTz!?!?"

Uh, because it is the same guidelines of their religion, and most all the kids at BYU are Mormon, so it is all they've known since birth?

Actually I read that quite a few non Mormons who go to BYU end up converting to that faith.
I’m more comfortable with a faith that’s a bit older than 200 years.

The students have invented hilarious ways around the code through some kind of shared delusion. Most are familiar with the term soaking and what that entails. They have a new term, which I forget, where the soaking is occurring and then someone else moves the bed to create motion. Whatever it takes to justify it I guess, but hilarious that they’ve basically added some element of voyeurism to the act now and you’re still actually having sex no matter what you want to call it. Freakier than anything I ever did in college 😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT