ADVERTISEMENT

Butler = Leader

JASUN74

Junior
May 22, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
As some may know, we have some that think he’s great and some think he just ok. The truth is he’s maybe the best leader that’s going to be in college basketball this coming season. I’ve been going through his games and actually paying closer attention to him and he’s just a dog! It doesn’t matter if it popcorn U or KANSAS, he’s a flat out killer and does everything he can do to lead his team to the win. I was a little concerned, i guess is the word I’d use, that we may need a True Point Guard, but we got the truth right here with him. He’s going to play like an All American this season and will get the ball exactly where it gives us the best opportunity!

if this group we already have play up to their potential, come together and really play Popes system well, we’ve got something special coming up this season. If we do happen to add one or two players who’re as good or better than some we have now, we’re going to have a chance at making a final four run this season. I honestly don’t think it’s going to take this group of veterans very long to come together either. After watching Butler as much as I have now, I don’t care one bit to say that not only will he be our starting point guard, but he’s also going to be one of the best players in the country.

As some may know, we have some that think he’s great and some think he just ok. The truth is he’s maybe the best leader that’s going to be in college basketball this coming season. I’ve been going through his games and actually paying closer attention to him and he’s just a dog! It doesn’t matter if it popcorn U or KANSAS, he’s a flat out killer and does everything he can do to lead his team to the win. I was a little concerned, i guess is the word I’d use, that we may need a True Point Guard, but we got the truth right here with him. He’s going to play like an All American this season and will get the ball exactly where it gives us the best opportunity!

if this group we already have play up to their potential, come together and really play Popes system well, we’ve got something special coming up this season. If we do happen to add one or two players who’re as good or better than some we have now, we’re going to have a chance at making a final four run this season. I honestly don’t think it’s going to take this group of veterans very long to come together either. After watching Butler as much as I have now, I don’t care one bit to say that not only will he be our starting point guard, but he’s also going to be one of the best players in the country.
I haven’t taken the time to watch his games yet myself so I appreciate you doing it and giving your insight. Especially since this is spot on exactly the conclusion Pope keeps giving when he talks about the guy.

OP is making blanket statements like he will be an all-american. I disagree. He'll be solid. 10 points 4 assists a game most likely. Not an AA.
Points don’t equal a great leader. I personally think this team is gonna be nasty this year but mileage may very pending how much each person buys in. If CMP system is efficient as they say, this is gonna be an awesome season and I don’t have to hear a JB replica trying to form sentences at press conferences.

Role player at best to be honest. I know some of the main donors for his old program very well and they think we overpaid significantly. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Pope was left with an empty roster. I'd love to have gotten some guys like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Sprinkle in a Jordan and Karl Malone while we're at it. Those type guys weren't in the portal. This was a weak portal. Even at that, Pope got guys that fit his system. I'm in wait and see mode. I think it's a good way to approach things.

Aaron Torres said he knew of 2 good Big12 teams trying to get him as a starter. He said that UK landing him so quick is what kept him from being a more talked about commodity. Torres said that the offense kept his numbers down from what they will be here. He knows someone who knows the kid really well and he is a really big fan of his.

I get Epps and D Hawkins vibes with a little more scoring ability.

Aaron Torres said he knew of 2 good Big12 teams trying to get him as a starter. He said that UK landing him so quick is what kept him from being a more talked about commodity. Torres said that the offense kept his numbers down from what they will be here. He knows someone who knows the kid really well and he is a really big fan of his.

I get Epps and D Hawkins vibes with a little more scoring ability.
Hope that is true.

YearTeamGPGSMPGFG%3P%FT%RPGAPGSPGBPGPPG
2020–21San Diego State28212.4.396.290.6671.71.5.9.04.3
2021–22San Diego State272525.4.391.329.7732.12.11.7.17.3
2022–23San Diego State393825.9.421.342.7312.73.21.5.18.8
Career946521.8.408.330.7232.22.41.4.17.1

Style of play... He only avg 26 minutes too. 5 more mpg here and tons more possesions per game too.

SDS played a lot of games where they scored 60 to 75 pts.

I haven’t taken the time to watch his games yet myself so I appreciate you doing it and giving your insight. Especially since this is spot on exactly the conclusion Pope keeps giving when he talks about the guy.
Yes sir. Man he’s is amazing at attacking the basket, he is relentless guarding the ball and has a really good midrange game. Shoots the three when open and makes them at a good enough rate they haft to guard him. He controls the game on both ends of the floor as well as anyone who will be on a college roster next season. I just love his game and the fit with this roster and these shooters is what’s making me excited. Keeps the crowd and his guys in the game and has some great hops for his size, on fast breaks he is pretty electric occasionally. I just love him for this team and after really checking him out like I should’ve before, I’m ready to go to war with the ball in his hands. I love Kentucky Basketball about as much as anything in this universe and I’m tickled to death about him being the guy. Just soo level headed and under control. Thank bud.

Well I’m not guaranteeing he’s going to be an all American of course, but I think he will play like one for us.
I'd be shocked if he doesn't avg 11ppg, 4a, and 4 rebounds... probably a couple steals per too.

Not all American but he'll be one of the better pg's in the sec.

Reactions: chroix and JASUN74
I'd be shocked if he doesn't avg 11ppg, 4a, and 4 rebounds... probably a couple steals per too.

Not all American but he'll be one of the better pg's in the sec.
Those would be great numbers for any SEC guard. Im looking at better numbers in assists and steals but who knows. . He doesn’t need to score a lot of though, he just helps the team win however he needs. Great get for us and is going to be amazing for us, this playing style and players we have.

Last edited:
Respectable numbers and I'll gladly take it. His biggest impact is going to be leadership and defense. He will change the course of some games with his defense.

Where in anything I wrote said he will be an All American. I said he will play like one for us. No blanket statement , not guaranteeing anything. I appreciate you disagree and that’s cool, I think he’s going to be really good, even great.

Role player at best to be honest. I know some of the main donors for his old program very well and they think we overpaid significantly. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Got to love the fact that a donor of the program know way more than the coach so lets post the donor dont like it. Crazy. Pope says he's my guy. Either get on board with it or move on.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Respectfully how TF would donors from his old program have any idea what we paid for him? At most they might know what they offered and he turned down, but news flash after four years and a Final Four for him it may be about more than money for him this year.*

Very worst case we got a lockdown defender with Final Four experience who will make Kerr Kriisa a lot better in practice.

*But that’s at “most.” The actual odds that a single donor or group of donors actually has any idea what NIL was offered to a kid has got to be ridiculously small. Something that even here only the Crafts might know and wouldn’t know necessarily. San Diego State have a lot of $20 million donors, does it?

Last edited:
I’ve spoken with the coaches personally multiple times. And I’m not hating on Butler. I hope he comes in and shows he is absolutely worth the investment. It’s a large investment, time will tell…

YearTeamGPGSMPGFG%3P%FT%RPGAPGSPGBPGPPG
2020–21San Diego State28212.4.396.290.6671.71.5.9.04.3
2021–22San Diego State272525.4.391.329.7732.12.11.7.17.3
2022–23San Diego State393825.9.421.342.7312.73.21.5.18.8
Career946521.8.408.330.7232.22.41.4.17.1

Style of play... He only avg 26 minutes too. 5 more mpg here and tons more possesions per game too.

SDS played a lot of games where they scored 60 to 75 pts.
He has damn good looking form for a 30% 3 shooter. I think someone can work with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT