ADVERTISEMENT

Briscoe gotten a little chubby?

brian.mikeson

Sophomore
Aug 30, 2014
Thought maybe his uni was a little too small the last couple weeks. Today a close-up showed it's maybe not the uni -- got a little paunch going on there.

Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: natchezrule
Yeah, agreed. Didn't mean it as a criticism of his game, just seemed surprising as many calories as these guys burn (nature of basketball in general, but also Camp Cal, 5 practices a day, etc).

He was definitely thinner last year. Maybe he worked out too much last year as his shot looks great this year.

Nope...been hitting them nugs extra hard over the holidays...

He said chubby
54cb849c7bd5b_-_esq-beavis-and-butthead-grown-up-020411-lg.jpg

He's a stocky guy to begin with, and I think his jersey is probably one size too small. My guess is he likes the feel/look of a tighter uni. I mean, the tops are obviously tight, but he may prefer snugger shorts.

Thought maybe his uni was a little too small the last couple weeks. Today a close-up showed it's maybe not the uni -- got a little paunch going on there.

Anyone else notice this?
I think you'd be better off watching Entertainment Tonight.

He fat!! :grimace: Briscoe needs to drop 20lb or so.It's all he can do to dunk..watch his HS tapes..I've seen him tomahawk slam before..now he plays like a 50-year-old

I'm with what some have pointed out on here: that even though he's gained a few, his game seems better. One thing I've noticed is that, while he's always been good at finishing on drives, this year he seems to be more willing/able to finish in real traffic (see, the whole 2nd half of Vandy game). Maybe the extra 'padding' is giving him a little more confidence to take it in to tall timber.

When I played pick-up ball in Woodland Park back in the 80's-90's, there was an older guy there who was stocky and couldn't jump a lick but had mad game around the hoop. This is who Briscoe reminds me of. Kenny Rice would play there often...he also had a good old-man game.

Reactions: Ugoff
Briscoe is a very muscular, stocky guy. He's built like a fullback. Most basketball players are built like a rail. If he's put on weight, I would bet it's mostly muscle from another season of lifting.

In high school Briscoe was 190. NBA combines, when Briscoe got in better shape than he was during last season, he was listed as high as 218. He's visibly heavier this season. IIRC, Briscoe had the worst height to weight ratio of ANY player who put their name in the NBA draft last year. This type of information matters to NBA GMs, particularly for guards/wings with marginal shooting. If Briscoe truly wants to play in the league he needs to get serious about a nutrition program, drop at least twenty. Otherwise, he will never see NBA employment. NEVER. Max weight needs to be probably 20 pounds less than where he is now which, my guess, is around 225-230.

In high school Briscoe was 190. NBA combines, when Briscoe got in better shape than he was during last season, he was listed as high as 218. He's visibly heavier this season. IIRC, Briscoe had the worst height to weight ratio of ANY player who put their name in the NBA draft last year. This type of information matters to NBA GMs, particularly for guards/wings with marginal shooting. If Briscoe truly wants to play in the league he needs to get serious about a nutrition program, drop at least twenty. Otherwise, he will never see NBA employment. NEVER. Max weight needs to be probably 20 pounds less than where he is now which, my guess, is around 225-230.

I think he's more solid this year, but I don't think he's close to 225-230 pounds. Maybe 200 maximum. Cal says no one has a quicker first step. His handles are insanely good, he can play defense, and assuming his 0 for 4 against Auburn from the line was an aberration, he has improved his FT and overall shooting to the point where I think he can and will be an NBA player. He can twist and turn to the rack at will and has heeded Cal's advice to go higher off the rim to avoid all those shots from being blocked. The last two games he didn't have any blocked and he went much higher off the glass. I think he goes late first round, but that's just my opinion.

I think he's more solid this year, but I don't think he's close to 225-230 pounds. Maybe 200 maximum.

Dude, Monk weighs almost 200 pounds arid dry! Here is a link to published combine measurements from October, showing Briscoe at 216, Monk at 197. The 2nd link shows some historical weight numbers on Briscoe. I've got some of the early season games on the dvr still. It happens to some players and it's happened to Briscoe both seasons. He's put on weight. And just, no . . .only in Briscoe's wildest dreams does he weights 200 pounds.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2016-Kentucky-Combine-Measurements-and-Analysis-5687
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Isaiah-Briscoe-7140/

Here's a list from NBA.com . . . back when Briscoe was still, somehow, considered a first rounder. Shows him at #29, and at 220 pounds, 20 pounds lighter than 7-foot Croatian, Ivica Zubac, listed at #30, now with the Lakers.

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/featur.../01/23/top-30-draft-board-version-1-for-2016/

If a GM takes a look at somebody at Briscoe's weight he's expecting at least 3 more inches in height. If not, he's looking for that player to have some serious athleticism (e.g. Buddy Hield). Either way, Briscoe is bigger, noticeably, since the time of anything that listed his weight in the upper teens, when his now very tight uniform was issued.

Dude, Monk weighs almost 200 pounds arid dry! Here is a link to published combine measurements from October, showing Briscoe at 216, Monk at 197. The 2nd link shows some historical weight numbers on Briscoe. I've got some of the early season games on the dvr still. It happens to some players and it's happened to Briscoe both seasons. He's put on weight. And just, no . . .only in Briscoe's wildest dreams does he weights 200 pounds.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2016-Kentucky-Combine-Measurements-and-Analysis-5687
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Isaiah-Briscoe-7140/

Here's a list from NBA.com . . . back when Briscoe was still, somehow, considered a first rounder. Shows him at #29, and at 220 pounds, 20 pounds lighter than 7-foot Croatian, Ivica Zubac, listed at #30, now with the Lakers.

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/featur.../01/23/top-30-draft-board-version-1-for-2016/

If a GM takes a look at somebody at Briscoe's weight he's expecting at least 3 more inches in height. If not, he's looking for that player to have some serious athleticism (e.g. Buddy Hield). Either way, Briscoe is bigger, noticeably, since the time of anything that listed his weight in the upper teens, when his now very tight uniform was issued.

Monk came to UK at 6'3" and 170. He isn't 200 pounds - period! You really believe he's put on 30 pounds since August?

Monk came to UK at 6'3" and 170. He isn't 200 pounds - period! You really believe he's put on 30 pounds since August?

Good Lord. So you seriously think that's a more accurate listing than what he weighed under controlled conditions at the UK combine in October? You haven't figured out yet that the high school listings freshmen arrive with generally are not accurate?

Monk weighed 197 at the UK combine so, YES, we certainly do believe he weighs nearly 200 pounds. But, NO, that's not because he "put on 30 pounds since August", instead that August listing you saw was simply outdated and incorrect.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT