ADVERTISEMENT

Breakfast in Gainesville

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
We left Lexington Friday afternoon, spent the night with friends in Marietta, and got to Gainesville in time for a late lunch yesterday. The Hilton Hotel is nice. We just had a good breakfast, and will head back to Lexington soon.

We sat in Section 44 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. I got to talk with several former UK football players last night. All of them were exceedingly classy gentlemen. One former Curci player who sat in front of us told me some interesting items about the growth of program that we might get into here sometime. He couldn't have been nicer. Or prouder.

For all of the UK fans who were high-fiving one another on West University Avenue after the game last night, what a special experience that was! I enjoyed meeting all of you. Our fans travel well!

The streak is over now. The negative folks have nothing left to complain about except what they feel they must manufacture for face saving and sanctimony. As a practical matter, their complaints are discredited now.

Prior to kickoff, the former player explained to me why our defense is underrated. When an intoxicated UK fan started yelling complaints about "Turnover Terry" and "Stoops never has us ready", the former player corrected him. The rest of us appreciated it.

Generally, I thought officiating was inconsistent to shoddy. We were called for a couple of pass interferences that didn't look correct to me. Florida's OL held Josh Allen all night, but never got flagged for it. But the officials did not determine the outcome. The wide-right FG will continue to be questioned, but Florida really needed a TD on that drive. The officials got the final call (Felipe Franks' fumble) correct.

The Cats controlled the line of scrimmage throughout the game. Our OL was sensational. EJ Price and Asafo Adjei are the most physical pair of OTs we have had in some time. Stenberg pancaked some guys. The former player sitting next to me said Benny is the best football player in the SEC.

We are still mistake probe. Despite having a great night, Terry Wilson threw a pick and put the football on the ground once. Lynn Bowden dropped a very catchable pass. We had more than 100 yards in penalties, including two obvious face masks. Our kick coverages need to be tightened up. But we got away with all that because we controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the football. That is how games are won.

UK racked up 303 rushing yards and 454 yards of total offense. At halftime, we had almost doubled Florida's offensive output. We had the sense it was just a matter of time.

Wilson completed 11-16 for 151 yards. The striking part of his game is his ability to make big plays when the moment demanded it. Wilson has a big arm. He has to protect the football better, but he is still learning. My biggest concern is he took some big hits last night.

Kentucky fans used to talk about the "talent gap". That is gone now. People might not see this if they treat class rankings like gospel. But when you actually watch the football game, you see it is gone. We have a better football than Florida. We are creating winning streaks against South Carolina and Missouri because our football team is better than theirs. We are still behind Bama and Georgia in overall talent, but we should be competitive in every game. This team hasn't even begun to scratch the surface.

Last edited:
We left Lexington Friday afternoon, spent the night with friends in Marietta, and got to Gainesville in time for a late lunch yesterday. The Hilton Hotel is nice. We just had a good breakfast, and will head back to Lexington soon.

We sat in Section 44 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. I got to talk with several former UK football players last night. All of them were exceedingly classy gentlemen. One former Curci player who sat in front of us told me some interesting items about the growth of program that we might get into here sometime. He couldn't have been nicer. Or prouder.

For all of the UK fans who were high-fiving one another on West University Avenue after the game last night, what a special experience that was! I enjoyed meeting all of you. Our fans travel well!

The streak is over now. The negative folks have nothing left to complain about except what they feel they must manufacture for face saving and sanctimony. As a practical matter, their complaints are discredited now.

Prior to kickoff, the former player explained to me why our defense is underrated. When an intoxicated UK fan started yelling complaints about "Turnover Terry" and "Stoops never has us ready", the former player corrected him. The rest of us appreciated it.

Generally, I thought officiating was inconsistent to shoddy. We were called for a couple of pass interferences that didn't look correct to me. Florida's OL held Josh Allen all night, but never got flagged for it. But the officials did not determine the outcome. The wide-right FG will continue to be questioned, but Florida really needed a TD on that drive. The officials got the final call (Felipe Franks' fumble) correct.

The Cats controlled the line of scrimmage throughout the game. Our OL was sensational. EJ Price and Asafo Adjei are the most physical pair of OTs we have had in some time. Stenberg pancaked some guys. The former player sitting next to me said Benny is the best football player in the SEC.

We are still mistake probe. Despite having a great night, Terry Wilson threw a pick and put the football on the ground once. Lynn Bowden dropped a very catchable pass. We had more than 100 yards in penalties, including two obvious face masks. Our kick coverages need to be tightened up. But we got away with all that because we controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the football. That is how games are won.

UK racked up 303 rushing yards and 454 yards of total offense. At halftime, we had almost doubled Florida's offensive output. We had the sense it was just a matter of time.

Wilson completed 11-16 for 151 yards. The striking part of his game is his ability to make big plays when the moment demanded it. Wilson has a big arm. He has to protect the football better, but he is still learning. My biggest concern is he took some big hits last night.

Kentucky fans used to talk about the "talent gap". That is gone now. People might not see this if they treat class rankings like gospel. But when you actually watch the football game, you see it is gone. We have a better football than Florida. We are creating winning streaks against South Carolina and Missouri because our football team is better than theirs. We are still behind Bama and Georgia in overall talent, but we should be competitive in every game. This team hasn't even begun to scratch the surface.
Great post, thanks

I was with my Gator fan friends so tried to stay humble. Sat in South end zone so was close to the UK section and they were fantastic. Heard many GBB chants loud and clear. The officiating was ridiculous. Shouldn't take 10 minutes to figure out every questionable call.

Reactions: howercat
I was with my Gator fan friends so tried to stay humble. Sat in South end zone so was close to the UK section and they were fantastic. Heard many GBB chants loud and clear. The officiating was ridiculous. Shouldn't take 10 minutes to figure out every questionable call.
The GBB chanting was coming from our area in Section 44. Our players waved at us and acknowledged our chanting. Pretty neat!

Let’s not get on our fans. Let’s just all celebrate and enjoy this.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I'm with you on the phantom pass interference calls against us and the lack of holding calls on Florida. We know the officials could recognize holding because they managed to call it on us, but they couldn't see the obvious when Florida did it. That's one of the things that make the win amazing. Those "the officials are against us" moments have caused many of our teams to lose focus or get down, but it didn't last night.

We looked like a more disciplined team in the 2nd half. Westry has got to stop the stupid plays. And that is what won the game for us. TW has a chance to be special. Just give him time to grow. Remember, Woodson went thru a growing stage. Benny is the best RB in the country IMO. And what a luxury to have Rose to come I. And spell him. I’m still not sold on this coaching staff being able to take us to the next level. But they have done a great job of upgrading the talent and building depth. Hopefully this team continues to grow and we are on UGa’s heels by the end of the season. We have the talent. Just gotta learn how to play together and gain experience. Proud of this team. That was a tough place to pull out a win. And Franks has definitely turned the corner under Mullen. Folks this was the best win of Stoops time here at UK.

You need new friends

Re FG...ball was over top of the upright, no good call was immediate and emphatic by stripes.

TW seems to have a sense for pressure, scrambles at just the right time and doesn't hold the ball too long. Nice looking QB who'll only get better.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Good report. You witnessed history. I wish I had been there.

Huge win last night. I have been in Gainesville on a consulting assignment since the end of August. I have stayed at the Hilton and enjoyed Don Shula’s restaurant. If you were here this week, there are some good lessons to draw on. All week long, every city bus in Gainesville had “Beat Kentucky” displayed on the front. I went into shops that had “Beat Kentucky” signs prominently posted. Team spirit and support has been evident here all over the city. This comes in the aftermath of UF’s 4-7 season in 2017. Their fans have no illusions about their 2018 team. When the Gators fell behind in the 2nd half last night, their fans worked together. 80,000 Gator fans were screaming together at the top of their lungs, trying to drown out our signal calling and distract our offensive players. There was no booing. There was no division. They didn’t get down on their players or coaches. After the game, a lot of Gator fans congratulated us and vowed to get us back next year. It was a good lesson in team support.

Huge win last night. I have been in Gainesville on a consulting assignment since the end of August. I have stayed at the Hilton and enjoyed Don Shula’s restaurant. If you were here this week, there are some good lessons to draw on. All week long, every city bus in Gainesville had “Beat Kentucky” displayed on the front. I went into shops that had “Beat Kentucky” signs prominently posted. Team spirit and support has been evident here all over the city. This comes in the aftermath of UF’s 4-7 season in 2017. Their fans have no illusions about their 2018 team. When the Gators fell behind in the 2nd half last night, their fans worked together. 80,000 Gator fans were screaming together at the top of their lungs, trying to drown out our signal calling and distract our offensive players. There was no booing. There was no division. They didn’t get down on their players or coaches. After the game, a lot of Gator fans congratulated us and vowed to get us back next year. It was a good lesson in team support.
I wish everyone would pay attention to the community support message.

We were in Sec. 44 as well... We always try to talk to Tony Nelley after the game and he was talking how great the UK fans were and that we could be heard up in the dress box with no problems!!!

Only disappointment was not closing out the game with the mistakes made in the red zone...game could easily have been 41-10 score! #GOCATS

I and my friends clearly heard our UK brethren chanting during the game, on TV, behind the noise made by the talking heads.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Only disappointment was not closing out the game with the mistakes made in the red zone...game could easily have been 41-10 score! #GOCATS

I agree, but have to be careful because someone will surely say we're being negative.

Did we play for the SEC championship lately? Have we won 9 or 10 games? Or did I miss something. That’s the next level I’m talking about.
You have missed a lot.

But at least you have the guts to admit you are missing what has happened. Most of the Stoops haters are missing in action this week. There are some guys who are always on here, pressing their repetitive attacks against Stoops and Barnhart. They are conspicuously absent this week, but they will probably be back as soon as they have some new material.

To answer your question, here's what has changed.

A 31-year losing streak at the hands of one of the strongest football programs in modern SEC history was broken. Some might say this is not a great UF team. That may turn out to be true. But we did it in their stadium, one of the most difficult places in the country to win a road game. We did it as a 14 point underdog. We did it with a new QB who had 3 turnovers in our opener. We did it against Dan Mullen. If you don't see change there, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's true that 2-0 doesn't win an SEC championship. But, to deny that something has now changed is to cling to a discredited, negative point of view. Slowly, most people are waking up.

Back when Curci was climbing the SEC ladder in the 1970s, UK was cheating. Since Curci left, UK football has been on probation twice. But now, UK is climbing the SEC ladder without cheating.

The media understands something has changed. On the SEC Channel this morning, Marcus Spears and Greg McElroy are calling UK the second-best team in the East and the only team with the physicality to challenge Georgia. Spears said Texas A&M will struggle to handle UK in College Station. Spears just said UK has arrived.

Last edited:
Funny thing on Saturday night is. Florida’s got the ball at the end of the game and I said to my dad “I just have this sick feeling they’re gonna throw a TD pass and beat us in the last seconds because we’ve seen this too many times”. Thank God we sealed it. We’ve turned s corner. But let’s not be satisfied with just making a bowl game. Let’s upset some teams and make the talking heads jaws drop.

Funny thing on Saturday night is. Florida’s got the ball at the end of the game and I said to my dad “I just have this sick feeling they’re gonna throw a TD pass and beat us in the last seconds because we’ve seen this too many times”. Thank God we sealed it. We’ve turned s corner. But let’s not be satisfied with just making a bowl game. Let’s upset some teams and make the talking heads jaws drop.
Nobody is satisfied with just making a bowl game.

I was at the game in Gainesville. Before the game began, I believed we would win. At halftime, I told a former UK football player sitting in front of us that we would win, and he said our defense would win it. In the 4th quarter, I was 100% sure we would win, because we were controlling the line of scrimmage.

Building an SEC football program in a small state is a long process, requiring a patient, knowledgeable, supportive fan base. To use a baseball analogy, we are in the 5th inning of a 9 inning ball game.

ADVERTISEMENT