ADVERTISEMENT

Braylon Mullins

This is the part that doesn't get discussed enough imo. The amount of money uk apparently paid him is obscene given the caliber of player. Yes its nice for optics but imo that overpay is going to hurt two different ways, and his price will just go up every year because i see no way he isnt a multi year guy.

1) deep cut into our nil pool for transfers and other guys

2) it drives the price up for everyone else by setting the market for what uk will pay for that talent level

How much?

How do you know who is better when neither has played a college game at this point?

How do you know he isnt?

Obviously noone knows for sure. This is a message board discussing two high school recruits. Anything can happen. One looks better to me than the other.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the extra money we were offering Hurley.

UK was willing to pay Hurley $7 million more than Pope, and around $3.5 million more than Calipari.

Where's the extra money, and why is it that UK which was once acting like the yacht club of college basketball when it was pursuing Hurley suddenly penny pinching every NIL recruitment?

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the extra money we were offering Hurley.

UK was willing to pay Hurley $7 million more than Pope, and around $3.5 million more than Calipari.

Where's the extra money, and why is it that UK which was once acting like the yacht club of college basketball when it was pursuing Hurley suddenly penny pinching every NIL recruitment?

How are they penny pinching NIL when they just said a post above yours they paid over 1 million for a HS player?

How are they penny pinching NIL when they just said a post above yours they paid over 1 million for a HS player?
KSR said UK's boosters had to pledge to go above what UK was originally offering and it was treated like an "we'll do it for the in-state kid" anomaly. Johnson was the first kid that UK evidently offered more than a million dollars to.

That said, you'd think there would be a larger NIL budget if UK just saved $7 million/year on a head coach, $7 million they were clearly willing to spend just a few months ago.

So what would you have been writing all over this message board if Johnson had picked Bama or UNC?

Would you have been equally as "scared" that Pope wasn't securing in-state five stars?

There's nothing to complain about with Johnson. He's a pure scorer, but he's not going to be asked to carry the team. I don't get the concern. It seems contrived, maybe even a little manufactured on your end.
Well most "pure scorers" often try to carry the team (think Antonio Reeves), they want to score and need a lot of shots. If his best trait is being a scorer, having him tone it down seems to hurt the biggest part of his game, no ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT