Thiero- 5
Burks- spot duty
Hart- spot duty

G Wagner(25)/Dillingham(15)
G Reeves(20)/Sheppard(15)/Wagner(5)
G Edwards(30)/Reeves(10)
F Mitchell(25)/Bradshaw(10)/Thiero(5)
F Ivisic(20)/Bradshaw(10)/Onyenso(10)

I think if we stay healthy, we go through the whole season saying, “Thiero needs to play more, Sheppard needs to play more, etc.” because there’s just not enough minutes for those guys. Especially the guards.

But injuries will happen and that will bring more minutes for those guys.

In fact, if he isn’t 100%, I can see Onyenso losing his minutes to Bradshaw and Ivisic. That might also open up things for Thiero to get more minutes at the 4.

And Bradshaw might also give up some of his minutes to the other bigs, if he isn’t healthy.

But if all are healthy all season (rarely happens), then this is how I see the minutes going.

How do you arrive at Thiero playing 5mpg? I just don't see that as a possibility whatsoever. He is far too versatile and brings way too much on defensive side of the ball to not be on the court at least 12-15 mpg.

28 minutes for Wagner, Reeves and Edwards would be ideal. That would be 15 minutes each for Shep and Dillingham and give Theiro some and he can get 5 minutes or so at the 4 spot.

Going by my perceived depth chart...

PG- Wagner (28), Shep (10), Dilly (2)
SG- Reeves (25), Dilly (10), Shep (5) Hart (n/a)
SF- Edwards (25), Thiero (15), Reeves (n/a), Burks (n/a)
PF- Mitchell (25), Bradshaw (10), Z (5), Edwards (n/a) ,Thiero (n/a)
C- Bradshaw (17), Z (12), Ugo (11)

N/A would be foul trouble, injury, matchup or poor play leads to possible mins at spot.

I want Reeves fresh for March. He averaged 35mpg the last 11 games of the year. That is too much to sustain and keeping him at 25 would be best for the team IMHO.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
How do you arrive at Thiero playing 5mpg? I just don't see that as a possibility whatsoever. He is far too versatile and brings way too much on defensive side of the ball to not be on the court at least 12-15 mpg.
Cal usually only goes 9 deep.

Somebody that should play more is going to be that 10th guy. Who is it?

My guess is Thiero is going to be the “he should be playing more” guy this year. We have at least one every year.

If you think it’s someone else, who is your choice?

And be ready, because whoever you say, someone is going to call you out on it.

Going by my perceived depth chart...

PG- Wagner (28), Shep (10), Dilly (2)
SG- Reeves (25), Dilly (10), Shep (5) Hart (n/a)
SF- Edwards (25), Thiero (15), Reeves (n/a), Burks (n/a)
PF- Mitchell (25), Bradshaw (10), Z (5), Edwards (n/a) ,Thiero (n/a)
C- Bradshaw (17), Z (12), Ugo (11)

N/A would be foul trouble, injury, matchup or poor play leads to possible mins at spot.

I want Reeves fresh for March. He averaged 35mpg the last 11 games of the year. That is too much to sustain and keeping him at 25 would be best for the team IMHO.
Dillingham will play more than than that. 5-star recruit plus Cal is the coach.

Ivisic will probably play more as well.

Cal usually only goes 9 deep.

Somebody that should play more is going to be that 10th guy. Who is it?

My guess is Thiero is going to be the “he should be playing more” guy this year. We have at least one every year.

If you think it’s someone else, who is your choice?

And be ready, because whoever you say, someone is going to call you out on it.

I hear ya. I think it will be Dillingham. We are stacked at guard. I just don't think he is ready physically right now.

It doesn’t matter how deep we are, Cal is still only playing 6-7 guys most of the minutes, then players 8-9 will play a little, and 10-12 will play very little.

So someone is going to be the “how come so and so isn’t playing” guy.

Someone is going to be the guy Cal won’t play even though most everyone on this board thinks he should be playing.

My guess this year it will be Thiero. Still needs some work on the offensive end. He’s kind of stuck in between being a guard and a forward. There’s just not much room in the backcourt. And he’s just not big enough for Cal to play at the 4.

Onyenso would be my next guess. He is so limited offensively. But I think he gets the nod over Thiero, because of his size. We only have four true forwards, and we know how Cal is about his bigs.

Might be Dillingham, but that hurts recruiting when you bench a 5-star kid who expects to be OAD.

It might be Sheppard, but if he plays like he did in Canada on both ends of the floor, Cal is going to have a hard time keeping him off the court.

Bradshaw and Ivisic, like Onyenso, are bigs, so they are going to play because of their size.

Wagner, Edwards, Reeves, and Mitchell are all going to play a lot. No one will argue against those four getting big minutes.

So, if everyone is healthy, I feel like Thiero is odd man out.

Could be wrong, wouldn’t be the first time, but that is my deduction knowing our coach’s trends and habits.

Of course, we won’t be 100% healthy all year, so it’s kind of a moot point at the moment.

One of things Ivisic apparently struggles with is fouling. I heard on TLR this morning he had more fouls than blocks in one of European tournaments and he averaged 3+ blocks per game.

Also, it is important to note...mpg for some of our bigs:

Cousins- 23.5
Willie- 23.6, 23.8, 25.9
Dakari- 14.1, 16.3
KAT- 21.1
Skal- 15.8
Richards- 14.8, 12.1, 29.6
EJ- 14.1
Jackson- 20.1
Sarr- 25.1

Minus Oscar you have to go back to Bam, Nerlens, AD as only bigs to play 30 plus mpg. If depth is quality Cal will use it. All of those teams from prior years had no quality backup....this team appears to have 3 who can impact the game to some degree.
Good point. Real good point.. I like facts. We can play small and get those guards all the minute's they want. Positionless to a point through the 3 spot. Then you have three including Mitchell,Big Z and Bradshaw perimeter bigs essentially. We are set for a Big time in little Ole Lexington KY boys and girls. Get your popcorn ready. I'm getting more excited as we go along. This team doesn't feel like the last few.

Last edited:
Reactions: HagginHall1999
The most typical scoring play in Canada was Reeves scoring.
The most typical drought-breaking scoring play in Canada was Sheppard passing it to Mitchell. Mitchell can shoot. Sheppard recognized that you give the ball to the people who shoot well.

People who readily do the easy thing over the tricky thing will play.
Seemed like Wagner could get to his spot too

I already did and didnt find $hit. Enlighten the idiot
MASH was a tv show in the late 70’s early 80’s, one of the most watched ever, was about surgical unit in Korean War. MASH stood for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital and was a real thing. So the reference is implying lots of injuries.

MASH was a tv show in the late 70’s early 80’s, one of the most watched ever, was about surgical unit in Korean War. MASH stood for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital and was a real thing. So the reference is implying lots of injuries.
I see. I kept finding mashburn information and just couldnt make that obvious leap from tge tv show to our injuries. But thanks. Sorry for needing clarification

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT