ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Miller involved in murder?

I didn’t mean anything political at all about this. The post I responded to was talking about someone in Illinois being charged with murder because they gave someone a gun. Not being political at all.
You mean you didn't at all mean to drop the sarcastic remark about there being "no guns in Chicago" but oddly there is high gun crime in Chicago?

No, nothing political there...(read: gun control politics - Chicago has the most strict handgun ban in the country, but they also have a very high handgun/guns in general crime rate).

Looking at your screen name, I feel like we've had a discussion just like this in the very recent past (you slipping in politics on a sports board)...

Well the back tracking didn't take long. This happened how many weeks ago? He had how long to prepare for what he was going to say when it eventually dropped? And he chose the most tone deaf idiotic response imaginable.
I bet he stood up when he said this his a@@ was probably smoking to much to sit down!!

Do you or anyone realize the gun belonged to miles?
Ok, let's play along.

You and your buddy go to the bank.

You text me to bring your buddy's loaded gun since they forgot it on the way to the bank.

I bring it to you, in my car, then use my car to block the bank security guard. Hand you the gun that wasn't mine, but I did facilitate getting it to what will soon be a crime scene.

You and your buddy take the gun into the bank, shoot the guard, rob the bank. I stand and watch.

And I'm supposed to be let go free?!?!

I have an acquaintance who has an ex daughter in law and this same thing happened to her. The daughter in law brought a gun in the car as she was supposedly going to pick up a check. Her boyfriend was driving. The boyfriend took the gun from her and killed someone. She was there and kit was her gun. She has been charged as an accomplice and also with murder. They say she was there and it was her gun even though she didn't pull the trigger. But this happened in Illinois so it could be a different state rule. That's all I know about it since I live in another state and I don't talk to this person much.
Read this post it was why I commented on Chicago having a law about guns. Didn’t know it would be taking political. I in no way meant to be political. I think you are stretching politics on me on this.

Reactions: TheDude73
I think people in large cities have an advantage . For example , a very low % of murders and other violent crime in Chicago and other cities are solved, you get away with more …also , due to woke culture lately , people get out and get second chances . The same crime in small town USA gets solved and the offender gets hard core time
🤣

Those police officers that died did not die in the capital and you have been lied to from this corrupt government and media. The only person who died was an unarmed female which is fact. You probably still believe a police officer was killed by someone using a fire Extinguisher LOl
Natural causes huh? 🤣

He's definitely guilty of making a piss poor decision. He could have easily told them, No, and not brought the weapon instead of doing so.

How culpable is he for the decisions made by his 2 teammates after that is debatable. Should he have reasonably thought that Davis would walk up to the vehicle and shoot and kill Jamea Harris basically at point blank range?

I could also definitely see the family trying to sue Brandon Miller. Would they win? I have no idea. Or, perhaps, maybe he even helps take care of the young woman's child with some sort of monetary gift(Id say highly unlikely).

He's definitely guilty of making a piss poor decision. He could have easily told them, No, and not brought the weapon instead of doing so.

How culpable is he for the decisions made by his 2 teammates after that is debatable. Should he have reasonably thought that Davis would walk up to the vehicle and shoot and kill Jamea Harris basically at point blank range?

I could also definitely see the family trying to sue Brandon Miller. Would they win? I have no idea.
It feels similar to a get away driver type scenario. If your friend asks you for a lift from the bank and you wait for him and he comes out with a sack of cash and you drive him away even if you truly didn't know he was going to rob the bank are you culpable?

Just having a hard time with someone driving to a situation he was aware of was heated, providing a loaded weapon, remaining on scene in proximity enough for his vehicle to receive gun shots to the windshield. I'll withhold the possibility of blocking the jeeps exit with his car but if that part is true how is he walking free?

Ok, let's play along.

You and your buddy go to the bank.

You text me to bring your buddy's loaded gun since they forgot it on the way to the bank.

I bring it to you, in my car, then use my car to block the bank security guard. Hand you the gun that wasn't mine, but I did facilitate getting it to what will soon be a crime scene.

You and your buddy take the gun into the bank, shoot the guard, rob the bank. I stand and watch.

And I'm supposed to be let go free?!?!
First of all like I said the gun belonged to miles. Miles is 21 so there’s no doubt he can legally own the firearm. Obviously he legally obtained it. I don’t know what one scenario has to do with another. “Hey bring my gun to the bank” you could construe as intent. “Hey man bring my gun to me on the streets”. Not so much. Did Miller know that a legally obtained firearm would be used in a murder or crime:

Here’s a better scenario. The bank scenario is awful and the entire way through the guy who brought the gun is complicit. Here’s an example that’s more in line:

You and you’re buddies are downtown Lexington cruising. You’re buddy says “when are you coming?” Oh and btw “bring my (legal) gun with you.” You have no idea what’s going on downtown and your 21 year old friend wants his firearm. So you take it. Not the best decision but there is no crime in it. You hand it to your friend and go on partying or mixing it up whatever. Trouble ensues and your friend uses the weapon in an illegal manner. There is zero crime committed by the friend bringing the gun. He didn’t illegally obtain it, he didn’t know what was going to happen, the gun belonged to the friend. Unless you can prove some level of intent on the person who brought it they are out of the picture once they give the firearm to its lawful owner.

What are some laws the person bringing the weapon could break? Like I said if they knew of intent. If the gun was illegal, if they are in a state where the possession of that firearm is illegal for an 18 year old, if the gun was brought to the premises of a place illegal to bring firearms.

The reason your bank analogy is bad is because there is an inference of intent when the friend says “bring it to the bank”. In this case on the streets even if they owner of the gun says “bring it because there might be trouble”, there is zero culpability because trouble likely implies self defense. The bottomline is 50
States 50 different gun laws and Alabama is going to be one of the most lax. Sure if it was CA or NY there are laws on the books probably prohibiting the 18 from ever even being in possession of the firearm to begin with.

Reactions: Midway Cat
It feels similar to a get away driver type scenario. If your friend asks you for a lift from the bank and you wait for him and he comes out with a sack of cash and you drive him away even if you truly didn't know he was going to rob the bank are you culpable?

Just having a hard time with someone driving to a situation he was aware of was heated, providing a loaded weapon, remaining on scene in proximity enough for his vehicle to receive gun shots to the windshield. I'll withhold the possibility of blocking the jeeps exit with his car but if that part is true how is he walking free?

I agree. If he did the last part that's bad. From reading though the car Jamea Harris was in was parked and they were just eating. I didn't see anything mentioning whether or not they tried to drive away. Sounds like Davis didn't give them a chance to leave.

Unless they put a gun to your head and say “Drive!” Yes you are culpable. Because unless your life is threatened you get the eff out of the car and run.

Me too, but I had to see who everyone was responding to. Was not surprised to see who it was. A disgrace that he is part of BBN. Just an awful human and terrible “fan”.
You are the absolute last sum bitch that should be calling someone else a disgrace. You trash the entire team and program in every gane thread.

Have to think Oats is going to regret how he handled this

Bad look for Oats. If your play gives somebody what ultimately becomes a MURDER WEAPON they are culpable in some fashion. To what degree will have to be determined by court of law. But they are morally culpable regardless. Even if he didn’t have a clue what they’re going to do, loaning someone a gun is suspect at best. Miller should be in custody and off the team in my book.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I would about 100% guarantee you UK would have all four of these players suspended until the student board made a decision. Look at our football players that missed half the year because they were accused of having a gun!!

Unless they put a gun to your head and say “Drive!” Yes you are culpable. Because unless your life is threatened you get the eff out of the car and run.
Yeah it was rhetorical, from every case I'm aware of whether murder or robbery the getaway driver is definitely culpable, not sure how providing a loaded weapon to someone when you know the situation is heated and remaining on site while the crime is committed is much if at all different.

Reactions: bbncal02
You have no idea if he's a good kid or not
Idk many good kids toting a gun around when you are the most famous person on campus

Prison? Just because an 18 year old hasn't been to prison doesn't mean he's a good kid. Give a thug time and he will show his head. I'm not calling miller a thug but this doesn't look great
Maybe he didn't back off. Looked that way though
You don’t know the facts. You don't know where and when Brandon got the gun. You simply don't know.

I learned a long time ago to not assume facts and place judgment until I know the truth.

You also made a typical Cal fan statement by saying Cal passed on him, where did you get that information? Where does it say Cal pulled his offer?

Reactions: chroix
Yeah it was rhetorical, from every case I'm aware of whether murder or robbery the getaway driver is definitely culpable, not sure how providing a loaded weapon to someone when you know the situation is heated and remaining on site while the crime is committed is much if at all different.
In my book if you give someone your gun, you are responsible for whatever happens with it. Period. Unless your in an active shootout of zombies are coming you never gov rupture gun tk someone else. That’s just waaaaay to much risk. I mean what if they get a wild hair and shoot you with your own gun? Dumb. Dumb as hell.

Read this post it was why I commented on Chicago having a law about guns. Didn’t know it would be taking political. I in no way meant to be political. I think you are stretching politics on me on this.
It is ultimately a poltical issue because the laws vary nationwide. The example though she gave doesn’t match this one though. She stated the gun belonged to the girl and then the boyfriend used it. This gun belonged to miles not Miller. He took him his (miles) gun and did not know what would happen. Once that gun is in the hands of its rightful owner there is stupidity involved but the guy who brought it did not commit a crime. If the gun belonged to Miller or someone else then there would be problems. But this was miles gun. He is the owner. And no this has nothing to do with me wanting nate oates or anything. To me it’s getting down to whether a crime was commited by Miller or not. That’s the title of the thread. Not is nate oates good to replace cal. Or is nate oates a good person. Who flippin knows. A freshman player brought an upperclassman a weapon that belonged to the upperclassman. I don’t think there is a good answer nate oates can provide. “My player is an idiot and shouldn’t have done that”. That’s what you want to hear? Im sure attorneys have advised everyone on what to say and not to say. There was a murder committed the situation is dysfunctional to say the least. But let’s be clear on the laws and who broke them. Not who did or said something stupid in the court of public opinion.

In my book if you give someone your gun, you are responsible for whatever happens with it. Period. Unless your in an active shootout of zombies are coming you never gov rupture gun tk someone else. That’s just waaaaay to much risk. I mean what if they get a wild hair and shoot you with your own gun? Dumb. Dumb as hell.
From what I've gathered so far he was in possession of Mile's gun and returned it to him, but I still don't think that makes much if any difference.

you forgot the capital police officers that died and were assaulted so mind your own words and get your facts straight
No one died at the Capitol on 1/6 other than an unarmed female trying to crawl thru a window . Had she been shot a few blocks down the street on a random Saturday night doing the same thing , there would’ve been an uproar

Reactions: Fox2monk
Well the back tracking didn't take long. This happened how many weeks ago? He had how long to prepare for what he was going to say when it eventually dropped? And he chose the most tone deaf idiotic response imaginable.
Win at all costs mentality. See what I mean? This is what happens.

You can still be a winning coach and have ethics. The two are NOT exclusive.

In most places he would be arrested for murder as well. He was not only there but supplied the gun. This isn't going to end well for anyone involved.
The murder weapon wasn’t his to supply. It belonged to the actual offender. That’s not supplying the murder weapon

Unbelievable. Yeah, I'm disappointed in Nate's response and I fully expect him to follow up with a better one, but I'm not going to send the guy down the river.

And I love how so many people act like they all knew something like this was going to happen. They apparently knew Brandon was GOING TO hand a loaded gun to a guy in the future and also knew that Oats would sit in front of a mic and be totally heartless with his response.

Cal said plenty of stupid statements prior to heing hired, UK still hired his ass. BCG too.
I agree with alot of what you say on here, but this is bad man. We couldn’t have known because oates hid the information and tried to sweep it under the rug, miller supplied the weapon that ended a young girls left, and blocked her in so she couldn’t leave, oates should get in trouble for his tone death statement and miller should be done at bama

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Terrible excuse by Oats. Miller should be off the team. I want no part of Oats being head coach at UK now.

But let’s be realistic about some of you condemning him on here.
In the same situation Cal could’ve fired the gun and you would be okay with it.
You seriously believe that last statement you made there? That's quite a thing to say. I feel quite confident that very very few people would be ok with that. Why would you use a hypothetical situation to compare to something that we can SEE the results of? Makes no sense.

From what I've gathered so far he was in possession of Mile's gun and returned it to him, but I still don't think that makes much if any difference.
So it wasn’t his gun? That makes some difference but not much. He could still get slapped with charges.

You don’t know the facts. You don't know where and when Brandon got the gun. You simply don't know.

I learned a long time ago to not assume facts and place judgment until I know the truth.

You also made a typical Cal fan statement by saying Cal passed on him, where did you get that information? Where does it say Cal pulled his offer?
A lot of this is facts being reported. Didn’t this all come out in court today. I didn’t know Miller gave him a gun until today. This has to be a total embarrassment to UA. Probably why Oats fell all over himself today. He was a fool should of just said no comment on a court case. I kinda think Oats is a smarta$$ and just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut sometimes.

Unbelievable. Yeah, I'm disappointed in Nate's response and I fully expect him to follow up with a better one, but I'm not going to send the guy down the river.

And I love how so many people act like they all knew something like this was going to happen. They apparently knew Brandon was GOING TO hand a loaded gun to a guy in the future and also knew that Oats would sit in front of a mic and be totally heartless with his response.

Cal said plenty of stupid statements prior to heing hired, UK still hired his ass. BCG too.
Stupid stammers were no one died. A person DIED as a result of his players actions. His ass should take ultimate responsibly and kick them off the team. Fair or not, you hang out with criminals guess what you are seen as. And in this case it’s much worse.

So it wasn’t his gun? That makes some difference but not much. He could still get slapped with charges.
Not 100% clear, lots floating out there right now, but that's what I've seen. In either case though it makes you involved in the outcome. If it wasn't my gun and my buddy asked for it back after telling me what was going down I would have told him no I'll give it to you tomorrow after things have chilled out you need to leave if you feel threatened.

Terrible excuse by Oats. Miller should be off the team. I want no part of Oats being head coach at UK now.

But let’s be realistic about some of you condemning him on here.
In the same situation Cal could’ve fired the gun and you would be okay with it.
Nawh man, people aren’t that stupid, they would be mad at cal, we gotta have a little bit of context and understanding here,

Did Mr Miller know what Mr Miles planned to do with the gun, we will never know for sure but his ACTIONS, using his car to block the victims car from escaping would lead a reasonable person to conclude to HE DID. Regardless of the legal issues (which I don't believe are over) Mr Miller willfully was an active participant in an incident that led to the death of the mother of a 5 year old child. There are many coaches in the college basketball that would throw him of the team,obviously Nate Oats is not one of them. That he didn't is a stain on his character and the University of Alabama as a whole

Last edited:
Not 100% clear, lots floating out there right now, but that's what I've seen. In either case though it makes you involved in the outcome. If it wasn't my gun and my buddy asked for it back after telling me what was going down I would have told him no I'll give it to you tomorrow after things have chilled out you need to leave if you feel threatened.
Exactly my feelings.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT