ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Garrison's NIL package

Dude has likely Pro upside. He'll be alright.
There are countless former pros who are not alright because they made bad choices due to financial illiteracy and undisciplined spending. He might be alright, but getting involved with luxury cars at the first taste of some money (not even millions) is a red flag. That's why I'm hoping that he didn't actually purchase this car, and that he just has an NIL deal with the dealership that isn't costing him out of pocket on the sticker price of the vehicle.

All you can do is laugh. I feel bad for them.

The reality is if these are good guys who come play at the University of Kentucky, 99% of them will be just fine for the rest of their lives. Even if they don't pan out they are remembered and hired into good jobs after playing career is over. For every one or two guys who make bad decisions (Michael Porter, Jules Camara) there are 100+ others who have it made.

JMHO

He should’ve put that money in a low cost index fund. Buying a brand new luxury vehicle that will depreciate 30% the second you drive it off the lot is not fiscally responsible!
Probably only 1% of 20 year olds even know what an index fund is. Buying a BMW SUV is not a horrific purchase like buying a 200k sports car or something extravagant like that.

Probably only 1% of 20 year olds even know what an index fund is. Buying a BMW SUV is not a horrific purchase like buying a 200k sports car or something extravagant like that.

I was just joking. I don’t care what they spend their money on, everyone always has negative comments in these threads so that was my dumb one

Last edited:
Good for BG! I’d much rather see this, than insanely flashy jewelry for themselves.

First I think fans need to be realistic that Pope ponied up for these guys even if they weren’t the biggest fish and the amounts didn’t become public. Garrison visited multiple big money programs and then chose UK without visiting. Fair to assume the NIL offer was clearly superior here. Credit to Pope as I think this is a perfect long term piece to invest in as he projects as a very good college center with very limited pro upside to leave early for the NBA.

I also don’t love the judgment that’ll come with this due to him buying a BMW. In my neighborhood here in central KY there are probably 15-20 huge full size SUVs that these moms drive that are more expensive than this SUV that a kid that’ll probably gross somewhere near a million dollars this year bought his mom.

Reminds me of my Marine Corp days. Every E1 would go to the dealership off base and get a brand new F150 lol.
I mostly saw Mustangs. I was older and married when I joined. Them young dudes were amazingly stupid with money, then complained non-stop about their pay. They'd never once payed a mortgage or their own medical insurance. I lived off base (cause I was married), in a house, and they thought I some financial genius. Oh, to be young and naive.

Reactions: Fox2monk
lol, there’s so much thinly veiled racism in this thread. He’s a kid. Kids buy things like this. He bought it for his mom. 99.9% of you would have bought a car for yourself and nothing for anyone else, much less higher a financial planner at that age.
No one said a thing that was racist. What little racism is left in the world is the fault of people like you, who love to throw that insult around without any provocation whatsoever. Get help man.

Gonna assume anyone who has a problem with this still has their mother. Couldn’t think of a better way to spend money than her.
I think everyone has good points. I would have bought my Mom a car too if I could. Still would. Don't blame him. But, it's a legit concern that young college kids getting paid a lot of money now won't have the restraint to be responsible with it.

Reactions: NociHTTP
It's his money and he can do what he wants with it. He did a nice thing for his mother.

Not sure why our fanbase feels the need to bash him for lack of financial prowess or make this about race. Some UK fans are weird.

Reactions: TM2013 and CELTICAT
There are countless former pros who are not alright because they made bad choices due to financial illiteracy and undisciplined spending. He might be alright, but getting involved with luxury cars at the first taste of some money (not even millions) is a red flag. That's why I'm hoping that he didn't actually purchase this car, and that he just has an NIL deal with the dealership that isn't costing him out of pocket on the sticker price of the vehicle.
A BMW today is hardly a "luxury" car. Maybe the higher models, but the 300 series can be bought for less than a brand new Subaru.

Disclaimer: I did not read the article so no idea what model was given to his mother.

Reactions: TM2013
yeah usually racist folks are the ones who always make it about race, and say that's racist. if a white player did that the same would be said. same shit different day...

He should’ve put that money in a low cost index fund. Buying a brand new luxury vehicle that will depreciate 30% the second you drive it off the lot is not fiscally responsible!
This isn't wrong, but it also assumes he paid for it at full price.

Armando Bacot did an interview recently where he said he made over 2 million in 4 years at UNC. In that range, he certainly has breathing room for a beamer. Albeit, 2 million isn't F you money.

Flipside, he's a 19 year old kid. Nothing wrong with enjoying it. Just have to be responsible about it.

Reactions: TM2013
he can do what he wants with his money. its nice to do that for his mom. BigKari and Tubby though I bet you don't think WNBA players are being racist over Clark's color either..
Nope, but I think it’s pretty telling that you do. Lonzo Ball got the same treatment when he entered the league. Get over it you candy ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT