ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Garrison commits to Kentucky

It seems that everyone thinks this commit may cause Osobor to look elsewhere but how do we know that the visit didn't go as planned so they pulled the trigger on Garrison?
This is where I’m at. These things are heavily financially driven. Using an example: Osobor wants 1.25M. Garrison wants 750k. Maybe they prefer Garrison at that price with the ability to add more quality players than Osobor at his price.

I assume they put a winning offer on the table last night when those rumors came out. Could’ve been largely driven by a higher than expected Osobor number when he showed up.

Just spitballing.

If it was truly one or the other, I do think Osobor is the better player for next year. It’s hard to be mad about getting a commitment from a former high school All-American who held his own in the Big 12 as a true freshman last year though. Assuming he keeps developing, he could be the same caliber of player in time.

The only caveat is that having 3 years of eligibility doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll use all of them here in this new unlimited transfer era, but no sense in worrying about that for now.

The Garrison smoke started last night. Osobor had just gotten on campus I think. Hard telling but I don’t think we’re out just yet on Osobor.
I agree that Goodman isn't the best source for information when it comes to UK. I also think that they play different positions so I don't think one would scare off the other. However, if Osobor would be deterred by the Garrison commit and Pope still went with Garrison then I will trust his opinion over my own. I am an average guy not a D1 head coach and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. 😂

According to one of the Facebook groups, this is all on Craft. Pope had little to nothing to do with it. Garrison was going to announce for Arkansas at noon. A Craft representative , supposedly, presented a one time offer and the offer was for an immediate announcement. I don't think any of us thought Garrison would be here, but good. The level of hate that Craft has for Cal may really help us. We are going to have a good roster.

According to one of the Facebook groups, this is all on Craft. Pope had little to nothing to do with it. Garrison was going to announce for Arkansas at noon. A Craft representative , supposedly, presented a one time offer and the offer was for an immediate announcement. I don't think any of us thought Garrison would be here, but good. The level of hate that Craft has for Cal may really help us. We are going to have a good roster.

I mean I’ve read some dumb stuff but….shewee good lord buddy

Man if that’s true, that’s epic!

If Goodman is wrong he moves up even further on the list of UK haters. What could have went wrong. Osobor has been hanging out here for over two days. Is it money or something else that happened?
Even if Osobor does go elsewhere, it won't mean Goodman was right. He's just slinging mud hoping some sticks. I can't recall any time Goodman has been dead on correct due to a real source.

Reactions: lazycat75
I think the only concern as this roster takes shape is whether ultimately next years squad is an assembly of role players. Decent players but nothing special that would allow the Cats to compete at the highest level. And maybe this was inevitable in year one with little time to completely build a roster from scratch. May be however that the sum is greater than the individual parts and the combination of experience and better coaching means they can beat almost anyone.

Not that Dickenson is a defensive force, but Missi is. Good to see Garrison at least held his own statistically with the top Offensive big and Defensive big in the B12:

Garrison vs. Dickenson/KU
MINFGFG%3PT3P%FTFT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
293-837.50-005-955.651023311
263-650.00-004-666.751014310

Dickenson vs. Garrison/OSU
288-1457.10-100-00.0112113116
309-1464.30-203-560.072203221

Garrison vs. Yves Missi/Baylor (7'0" 235 lb B12 All Freshman Team/B12 All-Defensive Team)
387-7100.00-006-6100.082402220

Missi/Baylor vs. Garrison
306-966.70-001-333.3101032013

I think the only concern as this roster takes shape is whether ultimately next years squad is an assembly of role players. Decent players but nothing special that would allow the Cats to compete at the highest level. And maybe this was inevitable in year one with little time to completely build a roster from scratch. May be however that the sum is greater than the individual parts and the combination of experience and better coaching means they can beat almost anyone.
I mean all these players he’s currently getting are likely better than what he was looking at BYU. He won decent with BYU level players… so while these guys might not be the star power we’re used to having this is still a great step up in quality of players he had at BYU

Not that Dickenson is a defensive force, but Missi is. Good to see Garrison at least held his own statistically with the top Offensive big and Defensive big in the B12:

Garrison vs. Dickenson/KU
293-837.50-005-955.651023311
263-650.00-004-666.751014310

Dickenson vs. Garrison/OSU
288-1457.10-100-00.0112113116
309-1464.30-203-560.072203221

Garrison vs. Yves Missi/Baylor (7'0" 235 lb B12 All Freshman Team/B12 All-Defensive Team)
387-7100.00-006-6100.082402220

Missi/Baylor vs. Garrison
306-966.70-001-333.3101032013
Those are some good numbers especially for a Freshman!

Man if that’s true, that’s epic!
I agree. Over the last couple of months I have grown even more untrusting of UK athletics and the Joe Craft connection. If ( big if) this is true, I am assuming it is allowable. NIL seems to be fair game for anyone to participate.

Reactions: Big BlueBeard
I passed on what was written on the Facebook group. For argument sake please show me a post, any post, that predicted anything about Garrison. The announcement was a total shock to you as it was me. We just differ on what we call dumb.

My favorite part is how Mark Pope had nothing to do with it 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT