ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Boston Jr

ukhoops1

Junior
Oct 18, 2012
For those who never seen him play or want to watch again u can see replay of him on ESPN U vs kuminga at 4:30pm et and different game 7:30pm et on ESPN U

I'm still waiting for one of these high school kids to have his name on the back as Sr.

This junior stuff is getting popular, i guess theres a lot of confusion between the father and son.

Watched some of his game last night vs Paul VI and only parts of one game but saw nothing that led me to believe he would be a big contributor next year. He was consistently beat on defense and didn’t see much of an offensive game (the part I watched at least). Think he scored 20 but I only saw a rebound putback and two made three throws in 4 attempts.

That game against Kuminga was the one where Boston had my jaw on the floor.

You won’t find basically any 6’7 kids at his age who can handle a basketball like he does. It’s what is going to separate him and Clarke from the many overhyped wings who have come through UK, both of them are just next level with the ball in their hands.

Watched some of his game last night vs Paul VI and only parts of one game but saw nothing that led me to believe he would be a big contributor next year. He was consistently beat on defense and didn’t see much of an offensive game (the part I watched at least). Think he scored 20 but I only saw a rebound putback and two made three throws in 4 attempts.
this is sarcasm right?

LOL. Try and watch the game against Rancho Christian (who has the #1 player in the class Evan Mobley) and your opinion will entirely change. I will say he did not play his best against Paul VI, but all the good he did throughout the season outweighs one lackluster performance. There's a reason Rivals moved him up 13 spots and into the top 5.

this is sarcasm right?

as I stated I only saw about 1/3 of the game and it’s the only time I’ve seen him play at all. Based on the limited observation I have, and that alone, I was not impressed. Doesn’t mean he won’t be an outstanding player for us next year at all but based on what I did see if that’s his game then he would not contribute next year at all. I’m under no illusion however that I saw his best.

as I stated I only saw about 1/3 of the game and it’s the only time I’ve seen him play at all. Based on the limited observation I have, and that alone, I was not impressed. Doesn’t mean he won’t be an outstanding player for us next year at all but based on what I did see if that’s his game then he would not contribute next year at all. I’m under no illusion however that I saw his best.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. Basically what you experienced is why coaches go watch a lot of games players play--specifically in AAU to see how they match up against peers who will be facing off in college. If you see a player at his best 1 time or worst, and chalk it up to that, you make mistakes. It's best to see a wide variety and see their strengths, areas that need work and often coaches like seeing them struggle-how do they handle it? Once you get beyond HS level, it's all about how you handle failure, not success. Had enough success to get to a program like UK, but what happens when you don't do well? Do you bail and quit or do you dig in, work hard, and fight?

Game you saw Boston, I thought he sucked and know he scored 20 pts. But he was awful on defense and didn't play well. I've also seen him play at a very high level and really with any HS player defensively, you just need to see the capability of them to be able to do it-more then how they play in HS--I mean Boston was point of press, and often cherry picked for layups/dunks at Sierra Canyon--but he's got length, and enough lateral quickness he will be a good defensive player when held to that standard--or he won't play. That's why you play for UK--they will make it simple-do what is expected or they'll find someone else who will.

Dude that game against Kuminga was insane. Best player on the floor? He was just dissecting everyone.. and these are against teams that could probably beat a lot of low-majors.

Reactions: RunninRichie

He had a slow start. Turned it up big time in the last half. But that was an unreal performance. I had the TV on in my office behind me, and all I kept hearing was Boston's name. Had to then watch the highlights, which are hard to find. The game footage I found only showed one or two of his plays.

Yeah I’ll say this. One game doesn’t tell the whole story. Watching this kids overall talent is sometimes mind boggling with the amount of skills he has. Going to be a force at UK.

So thats kind of like doing a scouting report on the sun, and you only watched it one day for about an hour and it was behind a cloud and in your limited observation it was not that bright.

CATS2010 How dare you say anything negative about any of our recruits not being instant impact! Same thing every year and then when the recruit is not living up to expectations we will see posts how they need to stay on the bench.

I watched part of the same game you commented on last night. You are correct, if you only watched part of this game, Boston was the second coming of Hagans on offense, with bad passes, poor decisions, etc. So, your observation was not wrong for this game. In fact the teams looked like High School in many respects. I bet some who are putting you down for your post never watched that specific game.

Of course in other games he has looked really good.

Reactions: cats2010
Coach Cal will be on his butt for his defense and you can bet he will sit some if he doesn't defend
Definitely concerned about Boston’s defense, because I definitely don’t think he’s ever been asked to play it.

Quite frankly, you can’t possibly be as skilled with a basketball as he is for his age and also know how to play defense.

Could definitely be a James Young type of 1 sided player.

Coach Cal will be on his butt for his defense and you can bet he will sit some if he doesn't defend
While this is normally true just like when Herro played thru bad D early on ( as he was great later in the year but early on he was horrible) Boston will to. Some players are just too good to sit even if they are giving up easy points. Monk was the best example of this under Cal. As boy did he give up points. Boston WILL be one of the top 5 players in cbb next season. Best recruit since Fox .

Looking forward to the Clarke/Boston combo. Composite #4 and composite #7. That’s one heck of a combo at the 2 and 3. We haven’t had a composite top 10 combo on the perimeter since 2017 with Fox and Monk.

Hopefully they will have veterans Quickley, Brooks, and Montgomery to lead them.

While this is normally true just like when Herro played thru bad D early on ( as he was great later in the year but early on he was horrible) Boston will to. Some players are just too good to sit even if they are giving up easy points. Monk was the best example of this under Cal. As boy did he give up points. Boston WILL be one of the top 5 players in cbb next season. Best recruit since Fox .
Love the optimism, but I think it's highly unlikely that Boston is a top 5 player in CBB next season. A top 5 freshman maybe. But, he might not even end up being a top 5 wing in the SEC (although I accept that he very well could be). Boston may even end up being a top draft pick after the season, but that is a completely different thing from being a top 5 player in CBB.

To each his own. I don't want to take away anybody's joy and excitement. But, I just think this kind of hyperbole sets up fans for disappointment - so that even when a freshman is pretty darn good, he's nevertheless considered a disappointment. The expectation is unfair.

Boston is very good, but he is not the best player on the team..That will be Clarke..most don't understand how good he is..

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I see Boston and Clark being more like Anderson and Mercer. They will both have growing pains but by the end of the season they will be awesome!! What is exciting is that they won’t have to carry the team if we get back what could be several veterans!!

CATS2010 How dare you say anything negative about any of our recruits not being instant impact! Same thing every year and then when the recruit is not living up to expectations we will see posts how they need to stay on the bench.

I watched part of the same game you commented on last night. You are correct, if you only watched part of this game, Boston was the second coming of Hagans on offense, with bad passes, poor decisions, etc. So, your observation was not wrong for this game. In fact the teams looked like High School in many respects. I bet some who are putting you down for your post never watched that specific game.

Of course in other games he has looked really good.
Watched that game also,I'm sure he is better than what we saw there,but just considering that one I came away unimpressed..Give me the 7'3" kid who works his ass off

I only saw the bad game as well. Great to know he has had many more good games.

But if he had a bad game once he can certainly have one again especially against much better competition.

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting.

I only saw the bad game as well. Great to know he has had many more good games.

But if he had a bad game once he can certainly have one again especially against much better competition.

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting.
I have watched a number of games played by Boston, and been impressed. He's a really good high school player. I think he has the size and skills to have an immediate impact in college. He'll be inconsistent, and he has a ton of development and adjustments to make. But, I suspect by the latter half of the season we'll all be pretty high on Boston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT