ADVERTISEMENT

Bozich: top 10 candidates to replace Mack

I am surprised to see Mark Pope's name on that list. Would he be interested ?

Has anyone see a date on when they will make a decision ?

Why would Scott Drew, Mick Cronin, or Bruce Pearl leave their current schools at the top of their game? Payne, Willard, Cooley, Davenport make some sense. UofL is going have a hard time attracting someone to this dumpster fire of a job.

They will have to sell the allure of the job (tough to do given their present situation with the NCAA), since they don't have a ton of money to work with. Their boy zipp, whom we all know and love, may be a tool but he is pretty well-versed on their financial mess.

- Oats is too expensive, huge buyout at Bama.
- Pearl would be a bad look for them, and also probably too expensive.
- Drew ain't leaving Baylor after winning a title
- Cronin would be tough to pry from UCLA, but his interest in horse racing and ties to the area may give them a glimmer of hope there if they pursue it.
- I love Davenport, but he would be a disaster at UofL. No elite talent would want to play in his bold offensive system, even though it's a thing of beauty.
- Cooley, Enfield and Willard would probably take it, but yawn.
- Ohio State will keep Holtmann if they want, not many schools can outbid Ohio State, UL doesn't have a prayer.

I am surprised to see Mark Pope's name on that list. Would he be interested ?
Bozich doesn’t know any more than we do. He’s just throwing names against the wall to get clicks, his list is not based on any inside information.

Pope is a hot coach who looks primed to move up, so Bozich threw his name in the list. That’s really all there is to it.

Last edited:
Bozich had to be high when he wrote that. Davenport might be the only realistic candidate on the list. I don’t think Payne even wants a head coaching gig.

The problem is, louisville is not set up very will for someone to come in and win immediately. The big names aren’t going to take the risk.

Other than Payne, I'm not sure why any big-name guy would consider the job until they know the extent of the next round of NCAA penalties.

I could understand if Payne was willing to spend a few years trying to make the program relative again.
Pearl is already house shopping, so they say.

They will have to sell the allure of the job (tough to do given their present situation with the NCAA), since they don't have a ton of money to work with. Their boy zipp, whom we all know and love, may be a tool but he is pretty well-versed on their financial mess.

- Oats is too expensive, huge buyout at Bama.
- Pearl would be a bad look for them, and also probably too expensive.
- Drew ain't leaving Baylor after winning a title
- Cronin would be tough to pry from UCLA, but his interest in horse racing and ties to the area may give them a glimmer of hope there if they pursue it.
- I love Davenport, but he would be a disaster at UofL. No elite talent would want to play in his bold offensive system, even though it's a thing of beauty.
- Cooley, Enfield and Willard would probably take it, but yawn.
- Ohio State will keep Holtmann if they want, not many schools can outbid Ohio State, UL doesn't have a prayer.
Most of the top 5-6 people on that list prolly make what Mack did anyway. They would not only have to deal with a buyout, but also offer a huge pay raise and guaranteed years to get thru this black cloud.

Reactions: 502 Wildcat
Other than Payne, I'm not sure why any big-name guy would consider the job until they know the extent of the next round of NCAA penalties.

I could understand if Payne was willing to spend a few years trying to make the program relative again.
Because UofL is still a top 10 (at least) job in the sport and sticking it out with penalties for a year or 2 would be worth it if u can win there.

Top 10 jobs in the sport:

Kentucky
Duke
Kansas
North Carolina
UCLA
Mich State
AriZona
Louisville
Nova
Michigan/OSU

The bottom 6-11 could probably be n any order at the moment.

Reactions: BigCat241
Yesterday on their 247 board someone posted that they could get Pearl with Payne as his top assistant. It amazes me that they are that disconnected from reality. Who would want that job? You can't recruit well there, even Pitino couldn't do it. Then you have sanctions hanging over your head making matters worse and then you have the stigma that is UL.

They'll be lucky just to find someone.

Why would anyone leave UCLA when you’re having success to go to UofL? That writer must be f@&#ing high as hell.

Yesterday on their 247 board someone posted that they could get Pearl with Payne as his top assistant. It amazes me that they are that disconnected from reality. Who would want that job? You can't recruit well there, even Pitino couldn't do it. Then you have sanctions hanging over your head making matters worse and then you have the stigma that is UL.

They'll be lucky just to find someone.
You definitely can recruit well there. Here are what Pitinos last 7 classes ranked in the country. #7, #94, #6, #5, #5, #79, #3. That is really good and I dont even think Pitino was a great recruiter.

Why would anyone leave UCLA when you’re having success to go to UofL? That writer must be f@&#ing high as hell.
His goal is to get cheap clicks, not to convey reliable information. You get more clicks by feeding UL fans unrealistic names that they’re hungry to hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
You definitely can recruit well there. Here are what Pitinos last 7 classes ranked in the country. #7, #94, #6, #5, #5, #79, #3. That is really good and I dont even think Pitino was a great recruiter.
Not really. The classes were mostly made up of overranked 4*'s who never panned out. He had a few great players like Mitchell but that's about it. Pitino wasn't able to bring in top players much at all.

Not really. The classes were mostly made up of overranked 4*'s who never panned out. He had a few great players like Mitchell but that's about it. Pitino wasn't able to bring in top players much at all.
Those classes are still "recruiting well" though.

Wasnt Mick Cronin his recruiter a lot of those years?

Louisivlle is a place you kinda have to pay players under the table to want to be there. UCLA is place where you give the kid some sunglasses, take him to the beach, take him to Lebron's Laker's practice and then drive to Malibu at sunset and what kid in his right freakin-mind wouldn't want to go there. Cronin will never have it any better, where he at.

I never thought of Cronin until I saw Bozich article.

It actually makes a ton of sense.

All of Cronin's family is in Cincinnati including his elderly father. Add in that he was a UL asst...very possible though a major risk considering he is doing well at UCLA.
I need to see more than 1 fluke F4 run as an 11 seed that was lucky to get in...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT