ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Huggins finally checks himself into a rehab facility

The Ole I quit drinking routine... come on huggy bear I stopped using that one in high school. Just be a man and say I drink like a frat boy and don't gave a damn what I shouldn't say. Then take your punishment and be on your way. Rehab is for meth and hard drugs like detoxing stuff. Moonshine and other liquor he's drinking can be kicked in a week.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike-D and UK19
The Ole I quit drinking routine... come on huggy bear I stopped using that one in high school. Just be a man and say I drink like a frat boy and don't gave a damn what I shouldn't say. Then take your punishment and be on your way. Rehab is for meth and hard drugs like detoxing stuff. Moonshine and other liquor he's drinking can be kicked in a week.
Sounds like the John Daly approach.

He's probably smart enough to know that if he ever wants to coach again, he needed to check into 'image rehab'. Who knows if he actually wants legit help. If he does, I wish him luck. Alcoholism is a bitch, and a vicious cycle. I'll be two years sober next month. 😁

This plus it will make it very hard for the school to actually fire him if he successfully argues he never resigned.

Seems pretty clear it's a legal maneuver. Let's hope I'm either wrong or in the midst of it he finds a reason to quit anyway

Reactions: SemperFiCat
You seem completely ignorant to what alcoholism is. Alcohol withdrawals is literally the one withdrawal that can kill you. Maybe your first google should be Delirium tremens.

If he was a true alcoholic, that means that his body needed to be in constant state of a high BAC for every waking minute. In other words, you have to be in a constant state of intoxication from sun up to sun down. If you start sobering up even a little bit, your body will experience pretty harsh withdrawal symptoms (see Leaving Las Vegas). So, he is detoxing, and its not a pretty site.

Reactions: J_Dee
I bet he snuck some in the place! Probably stuffed his little bunghole full. Down his throat passed his gums, watch out liver here it comes.

This plus it will make it very hard for the school to actually fire him if he successfully argues he never resigned.

Seems pretty clear it's a legal maneuver. Let's hope I'm either wrong or in the midst of it he finds a reason to quit anyway
They can fire him no problem if for some reason it’s found that he didn’t resign.

They can fire him no problem if for some reason it’s found that he didn’t resign.

If you ever fired someone in large corporate or state government world, you'll know it way short of "no problem" to fire someone who claims addiction issues especially if they're diagnosed as caused by depression. Maybe years ago, but not today.

Will they be rid of him? Yes. Will it cost them? Also yes. These moves made him some pretty good money especially considering he was otherwise due nothing.

If you ever fired someone in large corporate or state government world, you'll know it way short of "no problem" to fire someone who claims addiction issues especially if they're diagnosed as caused by depression. Maybe years ago, but not today.

Will they be rid of him? Yes. Will it cost them? Also yes. These moves made him some pretty good money especially considering he was otherwise due nothing.
Considering I work at a large state university now and have worked at another large state university, and worked in college athletics, I’m pretty familiar with how it all works. Coaches and the way their contracts work are vastly different than others working at a university. If for sone reason they win the lawsuit, the university will fire him with cause.

There is even a clause in his contract that states he can be fired with cause because of “substance abuse or habitual insobriety” among other clauses around breaking the law and overall conduct.

Last edited:
Considering I work at a large state university now and have worked at another large state university, and worked in college athletics, I’m pretty familiar with how it all works. Coaches and the way their contracts work are vastly different than others working at a university. If for sone reason they win the lawsuit, the university will fire him with cause.

There is even a clause in his contract that states he can be fired with cause because of “substance abuse or habitual insobriety” among other clauses around breaking the law and overall conduct.

If that specific clause is in his contract, it will be a tougher battle. These moves still put him in much better position than before. Get a diagnosis of depression, enter rehab, then seek assistance/accommodation from hr.

Even though the contracts add another layer, they still get certain protections afforded to everyone else.

The first fight though is whether or not his resignation stands. If so, it's all for naught.

If that specific clause is in his contract, it will be a tougher battle. These moves still put him in much better position than before. Get a diagnosis of depression, enter rehab, then seek assistance/accommodation from hr.

Even though the contracts add another layer, they still get certain protections afforded to everyone else.

The first fight though is whether or not his resignation stands. If so, it's all for naught.
That specific clause is the 3rd clause under the termination with cause section of the contract. That is not a normal clause in a coaches contract. It’s on there for a reason. He doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

Liquor is one of the only drugs that can kill you coming off it. This is one of the the worst takes I’ve seen coming from drugs and alcohol. Which btw has killed more people than anything.

Reactions: TweakyTweak
Benzodiazepines can also. Combined with opiates it almost killed me. I’ve never OD’d thank god but coming off them cold turkey about did it.
And coincidentally enough, they’ll most likely use some light benzos to help ease his alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

Congrats though, man. Been clean since Georgia Tech whipped our ass in the bowl game (day #1).

Man definitely needs help, glad to see him do this. Should have happened long ago and I hope he sticks with it and has success.
Yep, this is right. I hate it for him. He's an excellent basketball coach, but he clearly has an issue and can't continue as a head coach until he gets some help. This is best for all parties.

Reactions: Fox2monk and ORCAT
Had 3 beers in about 5 hours last night at an outdoor concert festival in Covington before calling it a night. The difference between me now and a youngster in my 20's and early 30's is I really wanted to come home to my family in one piece.

Benzodiazepines can also. Combined with opiates it almost killed me. I’ve never OD’d thank god but coming off them cold turkey about did it.
Glad you made it man. I had 2 family members that didn’t. I can only imagine how hard it is because I have seen some of the strongest people I know fall to it, life and war is a real bitch.

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix
Thanks still a daily battle but it’s getting better everyday.
Congrats my friend. I have a granddaughter who is just barley twenty two , and she just celebrated her two-year mark! We had no idea how sick she was until it was almost to late.

Reactions: chroix
The reason its in Huggy's contract is that his drunk driving in Cincinnati lead their School President to not renew his contract. The resulting power struggle between the new president and Huggins ended when the school gave him the choice of resigning or getting fired.

So this is the 2nd job he's lost to the bottle. Clearly he has a serious problem and before he or someone else gets killed he needs to get a handle on it.

I've know many alcoholics and been related to a few. The relapse rate is high. The toll on his body is bad. The danger to others is obvious. Jokes are great, I get it. No complaints. But I like Huggy's brash, straight-forward approach. I don't always agree with him, but there are so few dinosaurs left. I hate to see this all play out this way.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
It’s easy to think you’ve got everything under control when you don’t. Hopefully he can be an example for somebody else and save them some of the pain he’s going through.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Glad you made it man. I had 2 family members that didn’t. I can only imagine how hard it is because I have seen some of the strongest people I know fall to it, life and war is a real bitch.
I wouldn’t have made it cold turkey, it’s just too much. Medicated assisted treatment is a life saver.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT