ADVERTISEMENT

Blue-White boxscore

Box score is kind of weird, no mention of Trent Noah who hit at least one trey that I saw.

Yeah, he had a reslly good stretch there where he made several shots in a row, including a step back 3, and I thought he looked the part of a starter on the wing. He obviously had a bunch of missed threes, though. It wasn't all good, but I can see why he was considered a high level transfer. He wasn't the most impressive player out there, though.
How did he manage to "hit several shots in a row" ? He was 3/13. The MOST he could have made was 3 in a row. And if he did that, that means he missed several in a row. But he had a sore wrist the first part of camp, I am sure he was a little rusty. can't have our supposedly best shooter shooting 20% on such high shot volume.

Yes, I just finished watching it. They ended the game in the same way as the La Familia tournament games ended. They hit a target time in the 2nd half and then set a target score needed to win the game.

And that also accounts for why both teams missed shots in the final five minutes. It was very hard fought because the next bucket would win the game for either team and both teams were playing intense defense and fouling quite a bit. Add in that nobody got a breather here and every possession at the end was highly contested and that's what you get. So, that shouldn't be expected to be a normal stretch in any games this season.

I would add this- I was impressed with the defense across the board. These guys are intelligent defensively, know where to be, how to hedge, how to help, how to close out threes, how to defend the pick and roll, and so on.

I was also impressed with our sharing on offense. The defense prevented some big plays, but they found each other for open shots despite the good D. The three point shooting was good, not great, but I can see the potential. There are multiple guys on this team who can go off from 3.

As for individuals, Robinson did not disappoint and Brea looked the part. The guy who surprised me was Chandler. I've heard coaches raving about his improvement and shaking off the rust of the extended time away from the game, but I see a guy here who can definitely contribute very soon. I was also pleased with Carr. I wasn't surprised because we've expected he will contribute, but he was very steady and can a bit of everything out there. I also really liked what I saw from Williams down low, especially offensively. He finishes well on the break and around the rim. That lefty finish is unorthodox and effective.

Looked like a good game and the roster with a high potential. I'm looking forward to seeing them play someone other than themselves. 👍
Defense was also a strong spot for me. I thought Perry, Noah and Chandler all did very well (freshman playing seniors) last night.

Of course Oweh (which I think could be the best defender and told him during that AlTech event as much), Oweh is super strong, fast and is in the passing lanes all the time. Butler is Butler 100% of the time. He is trying to lock down the guys wiping down the floor in time outs. Garrison, Carr, William and Almanor all looked good. Brea and Robinson were solid as well.

Blue team shot 30 threes, made 14 free-throws, only scoring 67 points, with only 20 points made on 2-point FG attempts.
I sure hope this is a sign of good defense having been played.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT